What say you, sailor?

For a moment there, I thought this was a story about some supernatural thing ... :lol1:
This brings into question something most particularly "interesting" to me - The Bermuda Triangle. *I think if someone (or myself) does have the time, a thread devoted to the Bermuda Triangle would be rather interesting to discuss here on the forums. :D

The Bermuda Triangle ranks in my opinion as one of the most mysterious places on Earth considering the fact that not only ships but also airplanes (i.e., 'Flight 19') have been lost within it's stronghold. :(

This brings into question something most particularly "interesting" to me - The Bermuda Triangle. *I think if someone (or myself) does have the time, a thread devoted to the Bermuda Triangle would be rather interesting to discuss here on the forums. :D

That's a great idea, Shamus! Other than hearing stories, I don't know much - or I have read a book long time but can't remember the details - truth about it. Maybe in the Shipyard forum if anybody would like to start. :)

The Bermuda Triangle ranks in my opinion as one of the most mysterious places on Earth considering the fact that not only ships but also airplanes (i.e., 'Flight 19') have been lost within it's stronghold. :(

I've always thought that was one of the really odd things about that area too. As I'm from the west coast, I don't know much about other than Discovery Channel :p

I love the methane vent theory. There are areas there where the water almost looks carbonated with all of the bubbles of methane. The theory is that there is a huge vent and the methane in the air causes explosions around internal combustion engines. I can almost hear the machinist's mate in the engine room of a ship:
"Awww man! Did you fart agai..." BBBBOOOOOMMMM!!!!:skullpeak:

:p

I love the methane vent theory. There are areas there where the water almost looks carbonated with all of the bubbles of methane. The theory is that there is a huge vent and the methane in the air causes explosions around internal combustion engines.
I have also heard of this theory. :D Supposedly (according to a documentary on television I had watched a 'long' time ago), unexpected methane vents will become a growing problem of concern in the not too distant future.

And you thought visiting Abassa, Tortuga had a bad enough METHANE problem, lol.

Another one - my friend & I were reminiscing about this one the other night over brews:

6a00d83452b7ed69e2014e88fa88d8970d-500wi

It's about 18 nautical miles (nm) to get from the mainland to a local island - and a good spot for lobster! :p . Getting there means crossing the inside Anacapa Passage shipping lanes north and south. It is astounding just how fast a big container ship can move! We were aboard my friend's 17ft Boston Whaler motoring to the eastern tip of Santa Cruz island when we spotted a north bound ship out on the horizon. A brief discussion and we decided that we would not be in the ship's path, so we motored on, keeping an eye on the little box shaped ship still on the horizon.

15 minutes later, the "little box" was now more like a building, and we could clearly see that it was fully loaded with hundreds of thousands of tons in steel containers. We also noted a large wake, indicating the ship was at full throttle (about 35 knots / 40 mph). But it was still far off, and we were already in the shipping lane, so we figured that we would cross in front of it by a few miles.

A few more minutes and the ship was a hulking behemoth (POTCO pun intended! :arrrrr: ) that absolutely dominated our view. We could hear and feel the monstrous engine's drone and observe dolphin in the ship's foamy bow wave. After a VERY brief conversation (more of a directional nod, really), we elected to run behind the beast instead of foolishly charging in front of it, especially since we both know that the ship wouldn't be able to even slow itself down for about 50 miles, much less stop for us! As we pulled along the side of the ship to let it pass by, their loudspeaker crackled to life.

"Good decision, Whaler"https://piratesforums.co/file:///Users/Rick/Desktop/Afterburner.jpeg
Afterburner.jpeg
Earlier this summer, we had my family aboard my parent's 33ft sloop on a beautiful day. Small swell, and a nice even breeze about 15kts had us moving along about 8kts. On our way back to port, we were overtaken by the 51ft racing catamaran "Afterburner", going about 20kts. If you look at the pic - there are four guys on the flying hull (the orange stripe laying across the deck is one). Also, you can just see the daggerboard below the airborne side. That board drafts 7 ft when the hull is in the water - gives a good perspective of how big the cat is. I met the Capt. recently and have been trying to get on their crew as a substitute when one of their's is out. ;)2012-09-28 21:30 (9:30pm)

I was a last minute addition to a hoop-netting boat targeting crab & lobster :yum: . I've shaken hands with the owner of the boat (a 14' Boston Whaler style boat - very nice!) once or twice, and my friend vouched for my seamanship, so I'm on the launch ramp of the Channel Islands harbor helping out with last minute prep:

Rigging and prepping crab pots (hoop nets), stacking them on the foredeck, checking boat drains & scuppers, rigging and stowing anchor, tending the boat while my host parks his truck, etc.

The night is warm, all I need is my hoodie for now, but I have foul weather gear in my backpack for later, when the fog rolls in and everything gets wet. The moon is full and rising, there's a slight breeze out of the NW - what a beautiful night to be on the water! We motor the little boat out to the breakwall of the harbor where we'll fish - too rough to go around to the outside, so we begin baiting our traps with mackerel, anchovies and ---- a can of catfood with holes punched (I know - ewwwww! but it works!).

22:00 (10pm) As we begin dropping our pots at 40 ft intervals (red glow sticks on the floats to mark them), another boat shows up and begins setting their traps, and another, and another.......(This is turning into Abassa server, hope nobody lags! :eek: ). We watch as more, and more boats arrive, some setting their pots right on top of ours - that might require some words when we go to retrieve those. We've decided on a 2 hour soak for the first round, so we anchor at the top of our string and wait.

2012-09-29 00:00 (12:00am) - 2012 California Lobster season officially opens
(note: we're allowed to drop our gear overboard before midnight, but can't touch it again until the stroke of 00:00)
Our first pot breaks the surface and we find it FILLED with Rock Crab! Not our target species, but tasty, so we start sorting the keepers from the shorts. Just as we re-bait & rig the first trap, we arrive at the second. It surfaces just like the 1st - about 30 Rock Crab, but not bugs (lobster), We drop the fresh trap overboard, sort and re-rig the second. The third pot is tangled with the other boat's - they literally set on top of us! Words I won't repeat here are exchanged, :cursing: and we move on. We reach the tenth and final pot of our string - we've taken our limit of Rock Crab (105 for the boat - all three of us have our personal limit of 35), Threw back a few Sheep Crab (one MONSTER size - they aren't a species we want to keep), but no lobster yet. We head back to the head of the string and repeat - now we're exchanging smaller crab for larger. FINALLY - as a pot clears the water we hear the tell-tale "thump, thump thump!" of a decent sized lobster!

After two more rounds, it's nearly 03:00, we're tired of crab, and we're not getting any lobster. So we head back to the dock. After cleaning and re-rigging the boat, we processed our catch - 5.6 pounds of crab meat for each of us, and the lobster goes to the capt.

Not bad! :yum:
PrisonersHarbor.jpeg
This is a shot of our boat at Prisoner's Harbor, Santa Cruz Island.

It was taken while returning to the boat on a kayak after a fun hike on the island.

Last edited by a moderator:
No fair, Rick (points to pic above). *You & I need to change locations, lol.
:p

Not a sailing tale, but briny anyway....

A few years back, we had a monstrous swell - 8 - 12 feet and POWERFUL waves were coming in at most of my local beaches (about 3X of my avatar), but I was stuck at work until early evening. So I pulled up to 1st Point Malibu just before 10pm, parked on PCH at the entrance to the pier and watched for a few minutes to gauge the waves and see if I could spot anybody out there. 2 or three guys got some truly perfect waves, so I went back to the truck to wax up my favorite 9'6" "Magic Model" longboard while adrenaline began to flood my system.

Walking up the beach to where I would paddle out, I noticed that the light was perfect - LA's city lights were reflecting from the low cloud cover in a permanent twilight, and the street lights from PCH revealed the contours of each wave as it rolled in. The air was cool, but not cold, and the water was warm enough that my thin wetsuit would keep me warm. The tide was high, so the usual Malibu "rock dance" was easy, and fortune smiled as I made my way through the impact zone without getting hit by a single wave. After a short wait, my first wave came...

Easily 12ft, I adjusted position as I watched the wave roll from 3rd point to2nd, and then started to paddle hard as it got closer. The drop was smooth and easy, the wave was fast, and I kicked out 100 yards later grinning ear to ear. Paddling back I saw two of the other guys get some amazing rides, hooting and laughing as they flew past. We were trading waves like that for nearly an hour, and the two others went in, when a really, REALLY big wave broke further out than any of the waves we'd had before. I wasn't really sure I wanted a wave this big - in the middle of the night - completely alone..... so I went for it.

The drop was smooth, just like the others; but then the worst happened. As I tried to set the rail for a bottom turn, the board spun and the last thing I saw before going under was the lip of the wave descending on me --- not good! The lip impacted hard, driving me down deep. Next came the tug on my right ankle - the board (attached by a 10 foot leash) was caught by the wave, and was now towing me underwater behind it. I thought about keeping my heart rate down, knowing I'd been under bigger than this and made it. After a while, I started to want air - badly, but struggling just makes it worse, so I waited, and waited. Finally, I could surface; the salty air tasted wonderful and I drew in big lungfuls as I pulled on the leash to recover my board. Grabbing the the board, I immediately felt it bend in a way that it was not made to. Closer inspection revealed that the wave had snapped it right in the middle, it was only holding together by the fiberglass on the bottom.

Worse, a big boom / hiss announced the arrival of the next wave - and I was in the way! This time I was able to relax and get a good breath before diving deep to try and escape; but the broken board acted as a sea anchor, and took me for another underwater joyride of about 50 yards. After yet another thrashing, I ended up crawling up onshore, happy to be laying in the wet sand, trying to figure out how to explain to my Wife that my latest $1000.00 toy needed replacing.....

Walden-in-half.jpg.JPG

mine isn't near as epic as alot of the others on here but over last summer there was a homemade build a boat race and some freinds came to me at the last minute about it and said they wanted to have a military themed boat. I said no if your goina have me it's going to be a pirate ship. (its a good thing they did too because the whole race was pirate themed) so they added some pirate stuff to it and I supplied the costumes. any way the winner of the first three years was in the same heat as us and we beat them and got first place! one of the most fun days I have ever had

I'm glad you've enjoyed them - certainly has been fun remembering them (although the busted board is more fun to remember than go through again!)

Rick,

I need more friends like you cuz I know if I were there where you are (in real), I would be doing/enjoying the exact same things. :)

Never surfed, myself, but I have an interest in it (if that makes any sense, lol). :rolleyes:

*Really enjoy your stories, Rick!

I finally got to watching the video Shamus sent me:

WOW! I've had the privilege to get close to whales on a few occasions, and surfed / swam & sailed with dolphin a lot, but never got that close to a feeding whale - that might be a bit nerve wracking!
Rick,

Never surfed, myself, but I have an interest in it (if that makes any sense, lol). :rolleyes:

Surfing is a terrible disease - it costs the afflicted jobs, relationships and sleep from driving all night and waking at 4am to catch the next swell before the crowd gets there. Hundreds of hours are spent watching the weather in other corners of the globe for wave producing storms, there are constant obsessions over equipment - which board, wetsuit choice; mental debates over the merits of cold water vs. cool water wax. They buy vehicles around their habit and spend thousands in fuel as they hunt for the next "fix" - even traveling by plane to distant continents in pursuit of the ever elusive "perfect wave".

Secondary fixations with meteorology, oceanography and the lunar cycle can develop in some of the more gravely affected cases.

I could go on and on, but the tide is dropping and waves from last week's storm off the Russian Kamchatka Peninsula should be arriving this afternoon at a spot I know just before the wind turns.... ;)

I finally got to watching the video Shamus sent me:

WOW! I've had the privilege to get close to whales on a few occasions, and surfed / swam & sailed with dolphin a lot, but never got that close to a feeding whale - that might be a bit nerve wracking!

Surfing is a terrible disease - it costs the afflicted jobs, relationships and sleep from driving all night and waking at 4am to catch the next swell before the crowd gets there. Hundreds of hours are spent watching the weather in other corners of the globe for wave producing storms, there are constant obsessions over equipment - which board, wetsuit choice; mental debates over the merits of cold water vs. cool water wax. They buy vehicles around their habit and spend thousands in fuel as they hunt for the next "fix" - even traveling by plane to distant continents in pursuit of the ever elusive "perfect wave".

Secondary fixations with meteorology, oceanography and the lunar cycle can develop in some of the more gravely affected cases.

I could go on and on, but the tide is dropping and waves from last week's storm off the Russian Kamchatka Peninsula should be arriving this afternoon at a spot I know just before the wind turns.... ;)

I saw the vid it sceard me a bit, But then i saw it again. But i did not know they would eat people ???

That's a humpback whale - they're krill feeders (animals about the size of the word "krill"), so even though you could camp out inside that mouth, they wouldn't intentionally go after people, or any other large animal.

If I'm not mistaken, the anchovies you see boiling up just before the whale surfaces are about the largest fish it will take - just TONS of them!

Not too far off topic. Most sharks are fish eaters - actually shy of people. In my area, Great Whites and Makos are the only sharks to be concerned about. We also have Thresher (yummy), blue, horn and swell sharks, among others. GWS (Great White Sharks) are exclusively fish eaters until they get around 8 ft long, when they develop a taste for marine mammals because it takes richer, fattier meat to sustain that big body (Seals & Sea Lions mostly). Makos prefer tuna, but have been know to bite humans. Most bites around here are either defensive (idiot divers who corner Horn Sharks for example), or mistaken identity. We don't really taste that great to sharks, so most attacks are single bites - just really BIG bites...
:skullpeak:

The closest to an attack I've been was while surfing Patrick's Point in NorCal. Beautiful sunny day, great waves in the 10 - 15ft range. After surfing with 5 other guys for about 2 hours, my friend and I got out of the water and were walking back up the beach when we spotted a beached log at the water line. As we walked closer we saw that the log was actually a 3-400 pound female elephant seal with about an 18in bite out of her mid-section, and bright red arterial blood was still streaming down the beach - a VERY fresh kill! My friend, a local in that area, whistled and waved the others in, knowing that a very large and hungry GWS was probably still lurking around the area.

One of the other guys said it would have been a shark roughly 17+ ft long to take a bite that large, and that the attack had to have happened inside of the outer reef that we were surfing since the cow had made it to the beach before dying with such a catastrophic injury.

I have a cousin who lives in san fran and he wrote me an E-mail that said "and people laugh when I wear a knife on my leg when I go surfing". attached was a link to a youtube video that he made with a waterproof camera. he went on his SURF BOARD with an oar and put the camera at the end of the oar and stuck it underwater and swimming right below him was neverthe less a great white shark!!!

Back