What Was It Like When You First Started Playing Potco?

Funny how easy it is to forget things the way they were.. I do miss the challenges of the old POTCO..

You're right. I look at the old POTCO as a completely different game than today's updated and trimmed version. It would be nice if they would one day change it back to the old look at least. If they had made dramatic changes once, they can do it again. Hm... perhaps another goal for Spania? :arrrrr:

You're right. I look at the old POTCO as a completely different game than today's updated and trimmed version. It would be nice if they would one day change it back to the old look at least. If they had made dramatic changes once, they can do it again. Hm... perhaps another goal for Spania? :arrrrr:

lol but that would be hard to do. The old potco was way better but there must be a reason for changing it.

Ah yes, all the changes. I've been playing since beta (yeah, a founder). The game was a lot tougher back then. No green circles, no X marks the spot. It took forever to level up. To see a level 40 was rare. But what I remember most was that people actually worked together better. For the first year or so I never heard anyone that actually worried about Rep, it was all about doing quests.

When did things change? I'm not really sure. After the Pearl quest fiasco the game just kind of died. For those who weren't around in those days Disney promised the Black Pearl quest for months. Go live date came and went, came and went, came and went. All the experienced players were excited. "Heck, there must be a heck of a quest if it takes this long to get it right" we all thought. Finally the magic day came. The quest was live. My first attempt four of us went out and got killed as soon as we got to the Goliath. My second time through I was alone and figured out that if I stood off the gun towers and took them out it was easy to beat. Beat it then and there. Only to find out there was no quest even on the horizon. Within days my friends list was rapidly shrinking as the experienced players dropped out due to not having anything to do. I hung on for a few months and dropped out myself. I came back earlier this year when Disney did a free weekend. Renewed my membership, got some old shipmates back into the game, and have been playing ever since. I think it's pretty telling that within a couple of days of being back on I joined a group fighting a boss and got accused of "rep stealing". I had to google the term because I had never heard of it before.

I actually kinda wish that they would go back to the old Pirates, because it seems that it was more of a true pirate's life then. I hear you had to battle your way out of jail, were constantly attacked by ships, and if you were seen by the enemy you were immediately engaged. It seems that you literally had to fight for you life! I think it would be great to see that again :(

It seems that you literally had to fight for you life! I think it would be great to see that again :(
That might actually get me to play again. I found no purpose in reaching the max level, because there is absolutely nothing to do once you reach the max level. But still, before POTCO was changed, I saw more reason to level up as it was different.

yo guild and friends. the old days were cool. the old days made pirates like myself and others very strong. i mean back then ya had to be tuff or die. it took me a long long time to get to level 40 ( the cap back in the the day ). now days it's a whole easyer for new pirates. now i guess that's good for them, but they will aways be soft and not as strong as us old school pirates. i don't come on much any more, leveling potions and fishing does little for me, but when spaina needs help with stuff like strong guild contest i do return. i hope carlos never boots me me for lack of not being on alot. as for old pirates vs new pirates, well i like the newer pirates game a lot better, yay potco you have done a good job over the years! gods speed good hunting! p.s. i am a fairly dangerous pirate.:flag:

Lets see, I saw a commercial for the game, and probably a month later and I started playing. It was around 2008 when I started, I had a very old PC. Then since there was SO MUCH LAG. Like not even joking, there was SO MUCH LAG!!!! It took like a minute to tp! And a minute to go into some room or cave or WHATEVER. Terrible Graphics. I just quit right after that. Then a few months later on December 2008 later I finally got my own laptop, a MacBook. Fastest thing you could use. Then I tried playing it on here. It was so fast! And I didn't even have unlimited! I went all the way to level 15 ON BASIC! Then I got Unlimited and went up to level 25, then got Terminated because I kinda cursed a lot and said a lot of stuff on it. Then I made a new account and went all the way up to level 30 and that one got terminated ALSO!!! I even had my own guild called Co. Mercenaries! It was EITC. But then I made A NEW ACCOUNT which I have right now and I've only been banned one time lol, Im in the United Empire also. Level 16 with lvl 20 sword. Cuz im justa Jumpa.
EDIT (Nov 8, 2010 9:46 PM):

Um excuse me I'm a jumper tyvm. And I am pretty cool I pvp at abassa tortuga a lot. K bye.
lol... EXACTLY ... :)

Many of us have been playing this game for a long time. I myself am a founder. I started playing on the launch day, and the next day I got unlimited lol. When I started the game was awesome. It didn't have alot of features though. I remember we couldn't change our clothes. Then the tailor shops came out and we were going crazy. I also remember when you didn't have all these weapons. You had Cutlass, Pistol, Voodoo Doll, Dagger, Grenade, Staff. It went from F1 to F6. You press the button for the weapon. And there was only one sword you have at a time and the same with the other weapons. I also remember when they had the old body styles. Where each body could be individualized. But they have since taken that away. But I don't wanna waste your time here so Tell me what it was like when you first started out. What were you thinking when you were playing. I wanna know how everyone else felt when they started.

i came into the game like a week after el patrons weapons and invasions. i remember looking and the website and seeing the guys with guns and it said el patrons weaons

I remember I started playing when there were no guilds around.... I remember trying to kill that Mercenary in Fort Charles, and failing. And I remember being a big noob. :D

I remember I started playing when there were no guilds around.... I remember trying to kill that Mercenary in Fort Charles, and failing. And I remember being a big noob. :D
Yeah lol we have all failed at the Merc. I used to attune him with my doll and run around and kill him that way. I also forgot to mention I started a guild the day I got unlimited called the Invincibles and because everyone was guildless it was super easy to recruit. We maxed out in 2 months.

I don't really remember what POTCO was like when i first started playing.... I guess you could say it was like it is now... idk rofl

I started to play when 40 was the max level i think, still had all of the original weapons, i thought a navy panther was a hard ship to sink, was i wrong lol

alright..... here we go

I remember dying.. a lot because I tried to kill that darn mercenary *. I also remember always losing money cuz i was spending it all on clothes. I have been playing the game for a while now, so I was always wishing for more closet space lol. Oh yea, I also never sailed alone or even bothered with SVS. And of course, the typical, 'mistiming, tonic, mistiming, jail' back when there was no reviving lol

I remember i started a month after maybe two after the launch date, and there was no repairing ships, no potions, no fishing, no el patron, and i dont think any cursed blades, then i stopped for a while and started again

I remember, I completely didnt understand. Not the game, but language :D Im from czech republic, and that times, I could say only "hello". Now I think Im better, lol :D
Also, i remember a lot of dying... a lot of fighting eitc guys in Fort Charles, and infinity of new friendly people I met. And all that time, I was Basic... :rumgone: I remeber, PotCo made "3 free days" - it means, all the pirates became unlimited for free, for 3 days. These three days, I wasnt (almost) sleeping ;)

Back