What's the most efficient/safe mat run method?

I myself am not an expert, but i was doing mat runs with some fellow pirates, and we were dropping bounty hunters like flies, with barely taking any hits. The trick is to constantly stay on the enemy ships' nose, rather than keep going in circle like most do.
This would require a bit of skill, but doesn't require you to have like 10-12 shipmates, we were doing just fine with only 3 players onboard.

I myself am not an expert, but i was doing mat runs with some fellow pirates, and we were dropping bounty hunters like flies, with barely taking any hits. The trick is to constantly stay on the enemy ships' nose, rather than keep going in circle like most do.
This would require a bit of skill, but doesn't require you to have like 10-12 shipmates, we were doing just fine with only 3 players onboard.
As in having it push you? I guess I'll try that some time. But then what do you do when the warships come? Those can literally one-shot anything that floats.

No all you gotta do is stay well ahead of the enemy ships' nose and steer at an angel so your gunners can take shot at them, same with the warships we were taking them all down in a snap with little to no damage to our ship.

If you are familiar with Parrot or Roger Raidhawk of Dark Archives, they have mastered this, maybe then can show you the ropes in game!

No all you gotta do is stay well ahead of the enemy ships' nose and steer at an angel so your gunners can take shot at them, same with the warships we were taking them all down in a snap with little to no damage to our ship.

If you are familiar with Parrot or Roger Raidhawk of Dark Archives, they have mastered this, maybe then can show you the ropes in game!
Thanks, but I also have double rep going and level 12 sailing, so I'm not quite doing it for the materials until I get to level 15. Should I juts dodge hunters and warships until then, or just feed off the big skirmishes in Abassa for the time being?

Honestly, I have little problem sinking hunters or warships when I'm the only one on the ship. I don't have to bother with trying to keep my gunners happy and in range, I can just focus on getting myself in range and at a safe distance. It takes awhile sometimes, but you may end up getting help from surrounding ships. Not to mention, when you have a crew, the Open Fire/Take Cover skills don't always work, while they usually do when you're by yourself.

If you can get a crew of 2-3 good cannoneers - probably level 15 in cannon at least - then that would also be ideal, but if that's not necessarily feasible, then there's no harm in just going it alone.

Honestly, I have little problem sinking hunters or warships when I'm the only one on the ship. I don't have to bother with trying to keep my gunners happy and in range, I can just focus on getting myself in range and at a safe distance. It takes awhile sometimes, but you may end up getting help from surrounding ships. Not to mention, when you have a crew, the Open Fire/Take Cover skills don't always work, while they usually do when you're by yourself.

If you can get a crew of 2-3 good cannoneers - probably level 15 in cannon at least - then that would also be ideal, but if that's not necessarily feasible, then there's no harm in just going it alone.
That's what I was thinking; going in those groups of mat runners in Abassa and just throwing out broadsides at a safe distance. Problem is, I only have a vanilla brig so one rogue broadside from a warship would probably sink me. On top of that, the hunters and warships would inevitably come after me later. Since I'm getting materials and rare materials anyway, I guess just port when the hunters come or hope that the other ships help sink mine?

That's what I was thinking; going in those groups of mat runners in Abassa and just throwing out broadsides at a safe distance. Problem is, I only have a vanilla brig so one rogue broadside from a warship would probably sink me. On top of that, the hunters and warships would inevitably come after me later. Since I'm getting materials and rare materials anyway, I guess just port when the hunters come or hope that the other ships help sink mine?
Well when you fill up your cargo you get the one bone, so if you fill up your cargo purely from attacking warships and hunters that are after another ship then you could simply do that and then port when you are full.

Back