Question What's up with the names?

reflex

Dockworker
I nor any of my friends have ever had names accepted by whoever chooses whether or not names are allowed. For most every name I've tried it hasn't violated the naming guidelines in any way, yet they always decline. Why is a name like "Serana" denied, yet there are people in game right now with a name like "Serena". Who does this? And what's the issue? What's the purpose of being able to name your character if they never accept anything? I also don't understand why they need naming guidelines unless the name is clearly inappropriate. What's wrong with having a similar name to some random npc in game? but that's besides the point.

I nor any of my friends have ever had names accepted by whoever chooses whether or not names are allowed. For most every name I've tried it hasn't violated the naming guidelines in any way, yet they always decline. Why is a name like "Serana" denied, yet there are people in game right now with a name like "Serena". Who does this? And what's the issue? What's the purpose of being able to name your character if they never accept anything? I also don't understand why they need naming guidelines unless the name is clearly inappropriate. What's wrong with having a similar name to some random npc in game? but that's besides the point.
There are guidelines, both during the naming process and availble by searching these forums.
If you're having difficulty, as well as your would-be friends, I suggest emailing support @ whatever that email address is.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What they need is a way no one else can use the same name that someone already has in game. Just like they do with guild names. This game lacks customization, at least let people have a name that no one else can have.

What they need is a way no one else can use the same name that someone already has in game. Just like they do with guild names. This game lacks customization, at least let people have a name that no one else can have.
If not implemented, can someone tell me why not? (I just assumed TLOPO kept things tidy in so far as the non-repeat of names used in-game).

Also @reflex, to answer some of your frustration there is a need to have naming guidelines because the English language (heck probably even any language for that matter) has workarounds/loops which can be exploited by someone to mean or to reference a name to anything. The matter is highly complexed. And, it’s not easy to please everyone with a name they feel there is no issue (when actually, there could be).

The first name I ever used in POTCO was Jade on my first pirate. Never again used the name because there were so many Jades just like me. Even in POTCO names were used over and over again. I know a couple of people that name all there pirates the same name. So even POTCO didn't keep people from using names over.

The first name I ever used in POTCO was Jade on my first pirate. Never again used the name because there were so many Jades just like me. Even in POTCO names were used over and over again. I know a couple of people that name all there pirates the same name. So even POTCO didn't keep people from using names over.
Right but, to save TLOPO customer service headaches, they might want to consider jotting things down in a database since time has to be dealt in approving names anyway.

Just my own opinion. ;)

I was not even allowed to name myself Dracule Mihawk ingame. This is insulting. Is Funimation going to come and sue TLOPO because I used my own name??? I should slice this game in half but I don't feel like it. How can famous pirate names not be allowed in a pirate game??

https://tlopo.com/help/terms/

Naming Guidelines
  • No Disney characters or other cartoon characters.
Yeah but the character is a pirate. And its not affiliated with Disney. And why not? What is the point of this? I fail to understand the logical problem with it. Is there an argument as to why this is a thing? The Disney one I sort of understand....

So then by that logic you mean to tell me Blackbeard would also be a disallowed name? Seeing as its a Disney character from the Pirates movies and also a character from the same show as the name I requested.

Where and why is the line drawn? Is a game not meant to be fun by letting people have what makes sense? I have seen many people complain about the naming strictness.

Cartoons that aren't pirate themed, such as someone trying to name their pirate Steven Universe or Teen Titan or Spongebob I get because they aren't pirate-related and they look unprofessional. But how does this fall in that same vein? There should be way more discretion when a moderator looks at a GUIDELINE at face value..

1jU3WFu.png

Back