When a bad Officer boots folks maliciously

Punkin Pie

Pirate Lord
Hi Folks! I will not post who did this to my guild and me, but I want to bring attention to this matter to
(1) warn new Guild leaders who may not know the chances we take when giving an Officer title, and also
(2) so that pirates out there understand why Officer rank may not be an easy rank to get.

Someone I thought was a "friend" whom I trusted, stabbed me in the back yesterday and booted 5 members.
First the "bad officer" booted a member that currently was on, and he tried to say it was a mis-click. There is no way a boot can be a mis-click because you have to click Guild, then Remove Member. He said he meant to "whisper" to the guy, which is a bunch of bull. As I was telling him it's not acceptable to joke around like that, and as I was just about to demote him, I dc'd. As I was logging back in, another officer was in discord telling me that the guy had booted 3 more folks along with the member he had already booted (someone had invited him back). I immediately asked him to screen it and send it to me so I knew exactly what was going on before I made any rash decisions. As I logged in, this unnamed scrub along with an accomplice was trying to blame another Officer for the boots.

That's enough of the story to get the idea of what happened.
- Guild leaders, choose Officers wisely. This had happened to us in Potco once also. 2 officers went wild together and had booted 10 folks at once (5 each). I strive to keep drama out of our guild family. People like this are the cause.
- To folks who ask their GM for Officer rank, please understand that asking for the promo isn't really acceptable, for exactly this reason.

It's really tragic when someone you thought was a friend - that you wanted to trust and give a chance to - could do this to me. I don't deserve that kind of treatment and neither does my guild family.

On another note, I feel malicious behavior like this should be punishable by some type of ban.

Last edited:
Well said. I had no idea this was an issue in POTCO, but I can definitely see how. It's sad that one officer going rogue could practically disband an entire guild. I hope your guild recovers well.

Well said. I had no idea this was an issue in POTCO, but I can definitely see how. It's sad that one officer going rogue could practically disband an entire guild. I hope your guild recovers well.

Yes the Officer function is still the same as it was in Potco. There is a daily limit though. An officer can boot 5 members a day. I'm glad for that limit or they could wipe out everyone if the GM wasn't online.

It would be so convenient also if somehow there was an actual "Co GM" rank so that if the GM wasn't on, they'd be able to disable someone from booting members. Or even if an Officer had an "emergency 1 time officer boot" so they could stop this from happening. That's a GM's dream though, maybe someday in the future after the game is totally running, that could be a neat addition.

There is absolutely no reason why this should be bannable. It is 100% the guildmaster's decision to promote people to officer, and by doing this you give them the right to do anything they want until you demote them.

It's malicious behavior. enough said.

I also had gone over rules with him before he was officer and told him no booting allowed.

Malicious acts in game shouldn't be banned?
Let's protect the scrubs so they can get away with it and find more victims?

If I posted the persons names I might be the bad guy for exposing them. That's not my style.

Well, no matter if he's banned or not, I wanted to bring a little light on the subject.

Choose your friends wisely.
Why should TLOPO fix all of our problems? If you pick a bad Officer that is on you for not getting to know them and figuring out if you can trust them. Now, I'm not trying to be rude but with all the complaints plus this now, you're spreading them thin. A guild is to be run by the GM, not TLOPO. You screw up, that's on you.

You screw up, that's on you.

Nice, thanks for that.

I'm the one at fault now. lol. Well yes I'm a very trusting person. I trust everyone until they prove me wrong. That is my fault indeed. Someone that is doing things maliciously though can walk away laughing.
I don't care at this point if he's banned, so you don't have to assume I'm looking for Anyone to fix my problems.

I hope some new GM or anyone will get the point here I've tried to make. It's all I wanted.
Thank you.

Nice, thanks for that.

I'm the one at fault now. lol. Well yes I'm a very trusting person. I trust everyone until they prove me wrong. That is my fault indeed. Someone that is doing things maliciously though can walk away laughing.
I don't care at this point if he's banned, so you don't have to assume I'm looking for Anyone to fix my problems.

I hope some new GM or anyone will get the point here I've tried to make. It's all I wanted.
Thank you.
Indeed.

I'm just lurving the drama!
No offense to all involved, but, LOL!
I seriously don't get a lot of strange behavior in games, but I sure enjoy watching, for some odd reason.
Anyway, Punkin is a wonderful person who needs to understand that some folks are gonna press buttons, on purpose, because they can.

Why should TLOPO fix all of our problems? If you pick a bad Officer that is on you for not getting to know them and figuring out if you can trust them. Now, I'm not trying to be rude but with all the complaints plus this now, you're spreading them thin. A guild is to be run by the GM, not TLOPO. You screw up, that's on you.

I don't agree with this. Victim-blaming isn't exactly my style. While GM's should be informed and careful when choosing officers, it can't always be their fault. Given most of TLOPO's (friendly) relationships happen purely online, there is a limit to how much you can know a person. It's easy to put up a mask of kindness with the purpose of "trolling." Blaming the person who thought they had a friend gets you nowhere.

That said, there are some GM's who don't understand the power their officers can wield, and I agree that they hold some fault in their choice of officer.

I don't agree with this. Victim-blaming isn't exactly my style. While GM's should be informed and careful when choosing officers, it can't always be their fault. Given most of TLOPO's (friendly) relationships happen purely online, there is a limit to how much you can know a person. It's easy to put up a mask of kindness with the purpose of "trolling." Blaming the person who thought they had a friend gets you nowhere.

That said, there are some GM's who don't understand the power their officers can wield, and I agree that they hold some fault in their choice of officer.
I'm not trying to "victim blame". But as a GM you have the responsibility. Look at how Dark Archive is run, I don't see them having many issues. Anyways, it may sound like I'm being hateful or something... I really am not. I'm just pointing it out.

You guys missed the point. She was simply letting everyone know to be cautious when promoting people to officer. New Guildmasters, or new leaders in general are not going to know to be so cautious of members. Anyone who has been in an actual leadership position knows, that you must trust your subordinates, but you must also always be sure they have the best intentions in mind to accomplish the task at hand, or that trust is taken away. @Punkin Pie is simply offering friendly advice, and a word of warning to everyone to be cautious who you trust. I'm sure that she understands, and was not asking for TLOPO to fix anything, as it's not their concern, nor should it be.

You guys missed the point. She was simply letting everyone know to be cautious when promoting people to officer. New Guildmasters, or new leaders in general are not going to know to be so cautious of members. Anyone who has been in an actual leadership position knows, that you must trust your subordinates, but you must also always be sure they have the best intentions in mind to accomplish the task at hand, or that trust is taken away. @Punkin Pie is simply offering friendly advice, and a word of warning to everyone to be cautious who you trust. I'm sure that she understands, and was not asking for TLOPO to fix anything, as it's not their concern, nor should it be.
I feel malicious behavior like this should be punishable by some type of ban

Malicious acts in game shouldn't be banned?

@Jim Hexskull was the whole point of the argument was above ^ I agreed with everything else.

Back