When a bad Officer boots folks maliciously

As others have been saying - while I certainly don't condone that kind of behavior, it's the guildmaster's decision who's given that power, and it definitely shouldn't be bannable.

It's honestly not a huge deal, if someone was wrongfully kicked from a guild they could easily get back in by messaging a friend who's in the guild or by contacting a guild officer on the forums.

This has always been a problem since the game began. It's one reason Jason Firewalker and I started the Dark Archive. We grew weary of losing friends and guild due to the rampant emotions of a Guild Master or errant officer. We decided to make a guild that would be different, stable, and orderly.

From the beginning we set out rules for members as well as officer conduct. I can't say we have never had a rogue officer but I will say that in the 8 years of our guild's history, it has only happened once or twice. One way we avoid this is a 3 month wait period just to be CONSIDERED for officer. After that the member, who must have shown some leadership qualities, goes through a two week training period in which they are given a mentor officer and they are promoted to veteran only. They may guild someone but only in the presence of another officer so that we can assure protocol is followed. After two weeks the mentor officer meets with the other officers and reports on the veteran's progress. If they pass the vote, they are then promoted to officer and receive more training such as how to use the officer section of our guild site. If they do not pass they are given two more weeks to improve.

Now I know what some of you are thinking - this is just a game and you are taking this way too seriously. Yes, it's just a game. But the relationships formed on this game are real. The pain of losing your guild and possibly good friends is real. These procedures have worked for us. As a testament of how well it has worked, we have 22 of our 43 officers from POTCO returning to TLOPO. That's slightly over half (51%). We've had many old members return and we are very excited to meet new members joining the family.

Jason and I learned our lessons the hard way. Many more will as well. You're an excellent leader @Punkin Pie . Don't let the poor behavior of a few get you down.

~Kat

This is why i don't like to be associated with guilds. Don't get me wrong, sometimes you find a good one to join where everyone is cool, but not always. So i basically just run it alone with mates that i know or meet as a crew.

It's malicious behavior. enough said.

I also had gone over rules with him before he was officer and told him no booting allowed.
That's the rules of your guild, not TLOPO. He broke the rules of your guild, and he faced the consequences from the guild, in the form of being kicked. By TLOPO rules, he had permission to kick, in the form of being promoted BY CHOICE by you to officer. If you can do it, you can do it.

While this is an unfortunate event, TLOPO moderators will not involve themselves in any sort of guild-related drama. It's not something we can actively enforce/police. Plus, promoting someone to officer is a thing that is done voluntarily. As GM, you take liability for what your officers do.

Just my two cents on the situation.
While this is an unfortunate situation, I agree with what JFR. We do not have any grounds to take moderation action against them. It was the decision of your guild's Guildmaster to make them an Officer. As an Officer, they had the privileges to be able to remove players from a guild. Whenever anyone is promoted to Officer it should be taken with caution. Make sure you can trust the person you promote, because it can come back and bite you if they prove to be untrustworthy.

My apologies.

I actually agree with @Stormtimbers . It's a risk you take with promoting someone. If someone in my guild went "rogue" that's on me, it isn't on TLOPO to have to take care of it. Though, thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to be careful! :)
I think before someone is banned from a guild, there should be a guild meeting between some of the officers and "higher ups" of the guild. Possibly also the GM if feasible. There is some behavior that should absolutely not be allowed, and then there are some instances where someone wasn't aware of the rules. If it a slip up with the rules, point them in the right direction on where to find the rules and regs. If they do it again, they really have no reason to say, "I didn't know."

Alright everyone. Can we please stop lashing out at @Punkin Pie. All punkin was trying to ask was if there was any way someone could give that certain officer a punishment. There was no need to start an argument with her about how she made all of the mistakes. If I were a GM of a very successful guild like Masters N Skulls, I would be furious if one of my officers who I thought was my friend betrayed me and kicked 5 of my members, let alone 5 of my good friends. Lets all back off of her, and put yourself into her shoes and imagine what she feels like atm. It was her choice to promote him to officer, but in no way would she know that the certain person would do that. It could happen to anyone so lets all just calm down a little.

Although the trust was put into said officers I don't they should get off clean. Take the guild out of consideration for a second and think of if a pirate was doing malicious acts that disrupted the group. for example: looting on a ship with good loot and then purposefully letting the ship sink (This is just a hypothetical scenario) just for the giggles. Is it fair to those pirates that worked hard for that? They put their trust in that captain and he let them down. They shouldn't get punished for that.
I don't think this person should be banned but I feel some warning should be in place.

I understand not wanting to intervene in guild drama but I feel this is more than that because of the intents behind it. I respect all the opinions made in this thread and I think people have valid points but it started because Pie is just an upset GM who lost a friend and an officer and she wanted to reach out to the community for support or an understanding of the situation. i don't think what happened should be a reflection on Pie or the guild itself but instead more on the officer who did this.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Love you Pie, you've been an awesome GM.

Although the trust was put into said officers I don't they should get off clean. Take the guild out of consideration for a second and think of if a pirate was doing malicious acts that disrupted the group. for example: looting on a ship with good loot and then purposefully letting the ship sink (This is just a hypothetical scenario) just for the giggles. Is it fair to those pirates that worked hard for that? They put their trust in that captain and he let them down. They shouldn't get punished for that.
I don't think this person should be banned but I feel some warning should be in place.

I understand not wanting to intervene in guild drama but I feel this is more than that because of the intents behind it. I respect all the opinions made in this thread and I think people have valid points but it started because Pie is just an upset GM who lost a friend and an officer and she wanted to reach out to the community for support or an understanding of the situation. i don't think what happened should be a reflection on Pie or the guild itself but instead more on the officer who did this.

Alright everyone. Can we please stop lashing out at @Punkin Pie. All punkin was trying to ask was if there was any way someone could give that certain officer a punishment. There was no need to start an argument with her about how she made all of the mistakes. If I were a GM of a very successful guild like Masters N Skulls, I would be furious if one of my officers who I thought was my friend betrayed me and kicked 5 of my members, let alone 5 of my good friends. Lets all back off of her, and put yourself into her shoes and imagine what she feels like atm. It was her choice to promote him to officer, but in no way would she know that the certain person would do that. It could happen to anyone so lets all just calm down a little.
Correct, but as I said in two of my posts, -assuming you are referring to me- I wasn't in anyway attacking Punkin. I agree it was an unfortunate event but I didn't think it was necessary for TLOPO to have to get involved. Anyways, I'm sorry if my posts appeared as if they were attacking Punkin. I know she's a great GM, it takes a great GM to have a great guild. :)

Well, in your example, yes the captain absolutely has the right to sink the ship. It's his ship, he can do with it whatever he pleases. Even if it's someone else's ship, they were the ones that got off the helm BY CHOICE, and therefore allowed someone else to take control until the captain takes the helm back. In the case of a DC, the captain has still left the ship. The remaining crew members have control of the ship, and if they choose to purposely sink it that's their choice.

I believe that we can all agree that @Punkin Pie is a great Leader and has done a great job of running her guild. in POTCO and now in TLOPO, and needs no advice on this.
We all make mistakes, Pie put her trust into this officer and he/she repaid it by doing such things. Betrayed her trust in them, it's sad seeing such things happen.
Pie is really kind and trusting person, what happened now, she deserves better. At least we can take away from what happened and everyone can take the true message she's trying to convey.
That we all should choice friends wise and especially those that are GM of their own guild to be very careful with whom you pick to Promote someone to rank of Officer.

I wouldn't know Punkin if I fell over her. So I have no personal say in this matter whatsoever, so my above comment was just a generalization. A guideline from what I learned when I was an officer in POTCO.

Well, in your example, yes the captain absolutely has the right to sink the ship. It's his ship, he can do with it whatever he pleases. Even if it's someone else's ship, they were the ones that got off the helm BY CHOICE, and therefore allowed someone else to take control until the captain takes the helm back. In the case of a DC, the captain has still left the ship. The remaining crew members have control of the ship, and if they choose to purposely sink it that's their choice.

My example was hypothetical to state that it's not the fault of innocent pirates getting wrapped up in someone else's power control, guild or not it can still happen and should still be frowned upon and not just shrugged off. I wasn't trying to get technical and open up a whole new case about captains and crews.

1. I haven't read this whole thread as its quite long!
2. I'd like to give my opinion on this subject.
3. (My Opinion (which you don't have to agree with but its what I think) Let me just start with when an officer decides to kick members for no reason its obviously something bad and as a guildmaster you shouldn't tolerate it. On the other hand I don't think its TLOPO's job to fix this problem via ban. This isn't an EDIT exactly but I had wrote something else after this when I just realized something in the Pirate's Code of TLOPO it says "Everyone deserves to be treated nicely. If somebody isn't being nice, file a report against them." another somewhat EDIT after writing this again I thought of something else. The game of POTCO was made this way where a guildmaster could promote on veteran to an officer. An officer could kick and invite players. a veteran on the other hand could only invite players. A member could do neither. So as a guildmaster you hold a great responsibility. If you don't want to be a guild master and have that responsibility then you can join someone else's guild. Generally its harder to trust those you don't know in real life than those you do know in real life. So as a guildmaster you should probably leave the people you don't trust much at a member. Those you trust a semi amount at a veteran, and only those you really TRUST AN EXTREME AMOUNT at officer. Depending on how big your guild is and how important it is to you that no one is kicked, you might even want to entrust the title of officer to only those you know in real life. Of course this varies and some people don't even play with people they know in real life including myself. So from that statement you might think "He has no clue what he is talking about." Am I saying that im a better guildmaster than Pumpkin Pie or someone else? OF COURSE NOT I have barely even been a guildmaster and I certainly am sure that Pumpkin Pie is a much better guildmaster than I am. I do agree with Stephen Teague and Stormtimbers though. Again you don't have to agree with me on this but this is my opinion that if you are really worried someone will kick others from your guild, entrust officer to only people you trust AN EXTREME AMOUNT and have known for atleast a few months.
If I say you can have one of my 100 cookies and ONLY ONE, then you take 50 of them, I'm gonna be mad.

I actually agree with @Stormtimbers . It's a risk you take with promoting someone. If someone in my guild went "rogue" that's on me, it isn't on TLOPO to have to take care of it. Though, thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to be careful! :)

My example was hypothetical to state that it's not the fault of innocent pirates getting wrapped up in someone else's power control, guild or not it can still happen and should still be frowned upon and not just shrugged off. I wasn't trying to get technical and open up a whole new case about captains and crews.
I'm aware, I'm just reinforcing my point that if you can do something that the game intends for you to be able to do, you can do it.
You can take command of ships while the captain is not at the helm, so you can. As an officer you can kick players from the guild, so you can.

Wowsie! I do appreciate the support and well wishes from those who posted here including my friends and guild mates.

I have to admit I feel better now after posting the thread. It even made me chuckle because as I stated in the opening,
my intention was to aware new GMs of what could happen.
Thanks to those of you who realized this. ;)

I don't care if the scrub gets away with it at this point. I'm above seeking revenge.

Thanks again! :D

Back