When a bad Officer boots folks maliciously

Hi Folks! I will not post who did this to my guild and me, but I want to bring attention to this matter to
(1) warn new Guild leaders who may not know the chances we take when giving an Officer title, and also
(2) so that pirates out there understand why Officer rank may not be an easy rank to get.

Someone I thought was a "friend" whom I trusted, stabbed me in the back yesterday and booted 5 members.
First the "bad officer" booted a member that currently was on, and he tried to say it was a mis-click. There is no way a boot can be a mis-click because you have to click Guild, then Remove Member. He said he meant to "whisper" to the guy, which is a bunch of bull. As I was telling him it's not acceptable to joke around like that, and as I was just about to demote him, I dc'd. As I was logging back in, another officer was in discord telling me that the guy had booted 3 more folks along with the member he had already booted (someone had invited him back). I immediately asked him to screen it and send it to me so I knew exactly what was going on before I made any rash decisions. As I logged in, this unnamed scrub along with an accomplice was trying to blame another Officer for the boots.

That's enough of the story to get the idea of what happened.
- Guild leaders, choose Officers wisely. This had happened to us in Potco once also. 2 officers went wild together and had booted 10 folks at once (5 each). I strive to keep drama out of our guild family. People like this are the cause.
- To folks who ask their GM for Officer rank, please understand that asking for the promo isn't really acceptable, for exactly this reason.

It's really tragic when someone you thought was a friend - that you wanted to trust and give a chance to - could do this to me. I don't deserve that kind of treatment and neither does my guild family.

On another note, I feel malicious behavior like this should be punishable by some type of ban.

Well said. Its hard to for me too understand why someone would just boot another member, even as a joke. This person, the one who did this, has lied about his intent, he has changed the story several times, lied about doing it in the first place, has even said it was just a joke. I believe its best to only promote those who are truly worthy of the title and have earned that rank. Remember, this is a game, not a way of life, there are children and immature players here, good kids, good adults and punks of all ages, as well, promote carefully, trust wisely. Things happen, as they always will, but the guild will survive. There is a lesson to be learned here, but please don't let it destroy who you are and how you react to players in the game. Have fun, but remember, pirates cant be trusted, after all, they are PIRATES. LoL

A possible solution to this, like Christofosho mentioned with the advanced guilds, would be to limit the number of kicks and officer could do to maybe 1 per half hour, unless the guildmaster changes it for the specific officer. Another idea (I think was mentioned in Chris' document) is to have the guild vote on potential officers. That way, they would have to earn the trust of the majority of the guild instead of 1 person.

Well, the said officer technically didn't break any game rules, as no rule states that officers can't kick people randomly... they have the power to do that. Yes, he/she may have broken GUILD rules, but not TLPO rules, and therefore it's not a bannable offence. I'm not condoning the behavior of the rampant officer, I'm just stating the facts.

That being said, I do offer my sympathies for what has happened. I wouldn't be happy either had one of my officers went rogue and kicked people. But that can happen to anyone.

I agree, this is not a bannable or punishable offense and i don't think officers should be restricted to kick 1 per half hour like mentioned a few posts above.
It's just something you have to get over if now one of your officers do kick lots of members.. I would say that it is a risk you have to take.

Although, it would be cool with more ranks and permissions.

True story: There's hardly any accountability within the POTCO and ex-POTCO community. It truly ticks me off, giving the "trouble-maker" (always) the advantage/the upper-hand.

*Mess with my friends, I'll mess with you. (Sorry this happened, Punkin).

There's hardly any accountability within the POTCO and ex-POTCO community. It truly ticks me off, giving the "trouble-maker" (always) the advantage/the upper-hand.

*Mess with my friends, I'll mess with you. (Sorry this happened, Punkin).

I agree with you Shamus, Rogues can do their evil deeds and run off laughing with no consequences. It probably empowers them to move on to other victims knowing they got away with it. Maybe people should share their names somewhere when this happens?
A scrub database. I haven't posted it publicly - it's not my style - but if someone does these malicious crimes, why should people protect them and keep quiet about their identity? It might make them think twice about doing it again - and warn others - if they're a known felon. Smh

It's great having friends like you and everyone who's shown support looking out for me!

I'm sorry this happened to you Pie. One can't always predict/know what others intentions are.

For the record, we do not condone namedropping/shaming anyone. Our Forums aren't the place for that.

~Bad
Thanks Bad I appreciate the thoughts <3

I do know about the shaming policy yes, I wasn't going to go there :p

They can just all join a Scrubs R Us forums or something for all I care.
Just going to move on and be very cautious.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the people who have reacted to this post who have missed the entire point of it which is clearly not seeking for advice or expecting pity but to serve as a warning. I feel a bit disheartened by them.

It's sad to see rogue officers haven't gone away but nor is it surprising. I very much appreciate this post, despite the fact I've never been a GM or someone who has been involved in GM/Officer like functions. It sheds light on why promotions have to be earned-truly. Some of the best of guilds can't even prevent rogue officers even with the strictest of rules and policies to determine otherwise as mentioned by @Kat Five Knives. Life happens.

While, yes, there are GMs that don't really put thought into promoting officers that does not necessarily mean all GMs don't or that it's every GM'S fault that an officer went rogue. Outside of officers and guilds and the realm of POTCO, whether you trust people very easily or are über cautious about trust with strange humans altogether there are still people who will betray you and I would wager those saying that every GM is liable for trusting someone as an officer would not say that the good friend is liable for trusting someone they were not yet aware was not a good friend. This stuff happens.

I'd say though that banning them wouldn't be such a terrible idea if the rules were based more on a moral compass while not being such a mess. It woukd be a mess by far and away. Each instance/case where such a rogue officer event happens could be different and I know for a fact they will be as difficult as it might be to believe. It would be a waste of (for lack of a better term) human resources.

I think if there is a suggestion that TLOPO has to take up sooner or later it is the implementation of some sort of Co-GM rank in guilds. It's a suggestion that anyone who knows POTCO has long heard over and over and over, probably anyone's often heard anyone's bringing the old bodies back.

Getting off the soapbox now. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. If only people weren't such flawed beings :(

I'm a bit surprised at some of the people who have reacted to this post who have missed the entire point of it which is clearly not seeking for advice or expecting pity but to serve as a warning. I feel a bit disheartened by them.

It's sad to see rogue officers haven't gone away but nor is it surprising. I very much appreciate this post, despite the fact I've never been a GM or someone who has been involved in GM/Officer like functions. It sheds light on why promotions have to be earned-truly. Some of the best of guilds can't even prevent rogue officers even with the strictest of rules and policies to determine otherwise as mentioned by @Kat Five Knives. Life happens.

While, yes, there are GMs that don't really put thought into promoting officers that does not necessarily mean all GMs don't or that it's every GM'S fault that an officer went rogue. Outside of officers and guilds and the realm of POTCO, whether you trust people very easily or are über cautious about trust with strange humans altogether there are still people who will betray you and I would wager those saying that every GM is liable for trusting someone as an officer would not say that the good friend is liable for trusting someone they were not yet aware was not a good friend. This stuff happens.

I'd say though that banning them wouldn't be such a terrible idea if the rules were based more on a moral compass while not being such a mess. It woukd be a mess by far and away. Each instance/case where such a rogue officer event happens could be different and I know for a fact they will be as difficult as it might be to believe. It would be a waste of (for lack of a better term) human resources.

I think if there is a suggestion that TLOPO has to take up sooner or later it is the implementation of some sort of Co-GM rank in guilds. It's a suggestion that anyone who knows POTCO has long heard over and over and over, probably anyone's often heard anyone's bringing the old bodies back.

Getting off the soapbox now. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. If only people weren't such flawed beings :(
Nice points, but imagine TLOPO having to police every guild and all their different rules. That takes TLOPO away from doing other things.

Edit: Reread your post and I misunderstood. I agree that it would become a mess. The idea is great, but I don't think it would work out.

I'm sorry this happened to you Pie. One can't always predict/know what others intentions are.

For the record, we do not condone namedropping/shaming anyone. Our Forums aren't the place for that.

~Bad
Going off-topic here and so I'm expecting maybe a point added. (If at least 'one' person understands what I am trying to say, it will be worth it).

I disagree. I disagree mostly because they are some of us whom are "familiar" with the past and past mishaps executed by trouble-makers. Therefore, it is predictable if you happen to know that kind of information. If you don't, that is on you (really) for not being proactive during POTCO's days to understand the extent of that genre of player/the problem of hacking/the trouble-making kind.

The forums has and will always uphold non-shaming policy. However, this policy ultimately "protects" trouble-maker players from being capable of hiding behind the forums policy to where the rest of us cannot say or write anything to take a stand against such players. I understand what the forums is and what it has to do but, this form of "protection" actually shutters the free speech of those whom make a point to project a honest and rule-abiding life online by holding others accountable whom are known to be trouble-makers. This is true even despite the forums wanting to remain drama-free, which is a good strategy - btw. However, it is not without it's own implications and one of those implications is that others feel they can do whatever they want off the forums and then come here to boast about it knowing full well their intention of getting under certain people's skin.

If a public forums is suppose to protect everyone, why are only a few of us ultimately protected while some of us are not? Also, I understand the forums cannot police anything outside boundary of the forums. However, if I report someone I must have good cause, correct? What if that cause isn't forums-related (example being the 'Mr. Wright' warnings)? :confused: We should have the freedom as members, and not just staff therefore, to call people out for wrong-doing with proof because ultimately and in the end the insight gained will compel trouble-makers to think twice about doing something wrong (rather than make them feel compelled to return here to 'taunt' others knowing full well they can do so if they ride the thin-line of a forums rule).

I was at an art reception at a local state university recently.
There seemed to be a lot of exuberant and chaotic energy in the atmosphere, with many students eager and excited to display and talk about their pieces.
While the atmosphere may have seemed somewhat unruly, it was merely the students having a good time and letting off some steam. Yes, wine and beer were being served, as with art reception tradition.
The director however could not be contained, and went running around the entire time telling people to "do this" and "don't do that", to no avail.
I noticed the expression of angst on her face and approached to offer some insightful wisdom regarding the matter, as she was getting bent way out of shape.
After I asked her what the problem was (a big mistake, but a trick I've learned over the years), she unloaded for about 5 minutes as I patiently stood by, semi-listening to her emotional rant.
After she was done, I offered my summary of her thoughts and basically said the following;
"You know, this school would be a whole lot better if we got rid of all the students.", to which she whole heartedly agreed, putting her arms around me in a firm hug (all she needed was the hug, lol)!
I'll let y'all figure out what that all means...
Savor!

...I'll let y'all figure out what that all means...
Savor!
I oftentimes get things wrong. With that said, what I take away from your experience (which I could be incorrect) is that more often than not people just want to be understood. They want to be understood with the things that make them happy and they want to be understood with the things that frustrate them. Because we're all human beings, it shouldn't be expected of us to be "happy" 100% of the time. Hence, if we're allowed to vent in such a way for the good intention and interests of all...there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. If we're not allowed to do so, other people catch on and will try to take advantage of such a situation.

All that teacher needed...was a hug. If there's one thing to take away from that, it's that all people have the right to be understood (about the mixture of emotions going on within them). If people feel as if they're understood, they'll likely adjust the handling of their emotions later anyway...for the sake of being understood further by others within the future.

Thanks for sharing.:) It did help me, I feel.

Going off-topic here and so I'm expecting maybe a point added. (If at least 'one' person understands what I am trying to say, it will be worth it).

I disagree. I disagree mostly because they are some of us whom are "familiar" with the past and past mishaps executed by trouble-makers. Therefore, it is predictable if you happen to know that kind of information. If you don't, that is on you (really) for not being proactive during POTCO's days to understand the extent of that genre of player/the problem of hacking/the trouble-making kind.

The forums has and will always uphold non-shaming policy. However, this policy ultimately "protects" trouble-maker players from being capable of hiding behind the forums policy to where the rest of us cannot say or write anything to take a stand against such players. I understand what the forums is and what it has to do but, this form of "protection" actually shutters the free speech of those whom make a point to project a honest and rule-abiding life online by holding others accountable whom are known to be trouble-makers. This is true even despite the forums wanting to remain drama-free, which is a good strategy - btw. However, it is not without it's own implications and one of those implications is that others feel they can do whatever they want off the forums and then come here to boast about it knowing full well their intention of getting under certain people's skin.

If a public forums is suppose to protect everyone, why are only a few of us ultimately protected while some of us are not? Also, I understand the forums cannot police anything outside boundary of the forums. However, if I report someone I must have good cause, correct? What if that cause isn't forums-related (example being the 'Mr. Wright' warnings)? :confused: We should have the freedom as members, and not just staff therefore, to call people out for wrong-doing with proof because ultimately and in the end the insight gained will compel trouble-makers to think twice about doing something wrong (rather than make them feel compelled to return here to 'taunt' others knowing full well they can do so if they ride the thin-line of a forums rule).

Focus on the victim strategies are meant to avoid idolization of the perpetrators. It has been psychologically proven that the more we put criminals and bad-doers on a pedestal, the more other individuals are likely to commit similar crimes or negative acts.

Chris

Focus on the victim strategies are meant to avoid idolization of the perpetrators. It has been psychologically proven that the more we put criminals and bad-doers on a pedestal, the more other individuals are likely to commit similar crimes or negative acts.

Chris

They're still going to do it when they get away with it, regardless if they get attention or not.

Chris

My apologizes in advance if this seems like an ideological rant.

If its been psychologically proven then why does the media seem to go to such great lengths to put mass murderers (and other criminals of equal magnitude) on the highest pedestal they can? I get that they have to report the news and show the facts (unless it's fake news) but they go too far at times. They spend weeks reporting on it, sometimes even going as far as explaining how the criminal prepared and executed the crime while basically creating a timeline of events.

What they don't do is tear the pedestal down. How many criminals would have stayed law abiding citizens if they saw some "famous" mass murderer walking to the gallows or seated in the chair? A good amount of fear needs to be put in the hearts of the those considering to commit terrible crimes instead of creating gods for them worship and mimic.

Now to the original topic:

I have been a victim of a rogue officer as well and was also wrongly accused of being one myself. After several months I was able to prove my innocence and was reinstated. The names of all rogue officers should be placed on some wanted board like page for all to see. Also I think that the account shouldn't be able to join any guild after that.

Chris
Good point. It makes sense. But, holding someone accountable publicly is not throwing a parade for them. (Nor does it place them on a pedestal to be admired for all to follow, in my opinion). Rather instead, it makes them double-think about doing the same thing again (in-game). If they have even the slightest hesitation to do a thing over again, that would be the goal as it is understood that there will be larger consequences for them if they are again caught. (Doesn't matter if they utilize a 'different' alias because if they are caught even their alias is to be known).

In this case pertinent to the OP of this thread, if I had been elected an "Officer" and did the exact same thing...I could receive the due punishment from TLOPO but still log-on here and repeatedly write things to @Punkin Pie to taunt her about what I had done. She could report me but, if I was savvy enough for my own good I could be all passive-aggressive about it to where my intentions weren't so clear. Hence, there still is a possibility I could evade forums moderation for doing such a thing. This is true even if I was reported or "ignored" as I could simply log-on here with an unknown alias to do the same thing.

If the forums permitted pirates the opportunity to show evidence against someone's actions and hold them accountable for doing so, would I be compelled to log-on here knowing full well everyone knew the wrong I had caused? :confused: I would think not but if I did I would also try to watch my step in so far as the lengths I go to do things (passive-aggressively) to anyone. Hence, such taunting would likely not occur in the first place to where the victim is protected from experiencing further ordeal.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate your opinion, Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back