When does POTCO take place?

Anaximander

Wanted Pirate
Have you pirates ever thought about when Pirates of the Caribbean Online take place? Well if we look at it:

Before Curse of the Black Pearl: Impossible. Jack and Elizabeth would not have known eachother well and Barbossa would probably still be backed by his cursed crew.

Between CotBP and Dead Man's Chest: Unlikely possibility. It could only work if Jack, Elizabeth, Will, etc. all did not know that Barbossa would have been resurrected by Tia Dalma. Highly unlikely.

Between DMC and At World's End: Impossible. Jack is in Davy Jones locker.

Between AWE and on Stranger Tides: Impossible. First, a note, this game was originaly made before OST was released so, it would only mean after AWE. Tia Dalma would already be turned into Calypso and Lord Beckett would be dead.

After on Stranger Tides: Impossible. All the problems applying to the previous paragraph also apply here.

So what do you think, when does POTCO actually take place?

?

I've never really thought of this before, but I guess it doesn't really have a time period... Pretty sure Disney didn't think that through when they made the game. Just mixed all the characters up into the game or something o.o

I think in the sense of applying to real life, 1650-1730 was the Golden Age of Piracy so probably among that time. But as for when it applies amongst the movies, that's a question I never could figure out. I'm with Bobby, it's probably somewhere between them just 'hangin out'. xD I kind of don't think it is supposed to relate to the movies much because it takes on it's own adventure but certain aspects of the movie are still prominent (eg. Davy Jone's men on Isla Tormenta, the Black Pearl). Interesting thread. :)

I have often thought of this too, but it appears that different elements from all the movies were used.

For example:
1) Tia Dalma has not been released yet from her human form
2) Cutler Beckett is still alive
3) The Queen Anne's Revenge is sailing the seas
4) Barbossa still has both legs (and has not become a privateer yet)
5) Will and Elizabeth are in the game
6) Jack the monkey is still cursed

1, 2, 4 & 5 would make you believe that it's sometime before "At World's End", but the fact that QAR is in the game would mean that it's after "At World's End". Also, Jack the monkey's curse was supposedly lifted when Barbossa gives him a peanut in... I believe it was AWE.

Conclusion: The game does not conform to the Pirates of the Caribbean canon timeline.

Now, the real life time period for the movies would be sometime in the 18th century.

Fact: King George II is king of England in "On Stranger Tides". (he reigned from 1727-1760)
Fact: Piracy in the Caribbean lasted from the 16th century to the 19th century, but the "Golden Age" of piracy was between the 1660s and 1730s.

Conclusion: The Pirates of the Caribbean movies most likely would occur around 1725-1740.

I have often thought of this too, but it appears that different elements from all the movies were used.

For example:
1) Tia Dalma has not been released yet from her human form
2) Cutler Beckett is still alive
3) The Queen Anne's Revenge is sailing the seas
4) Barbossa still has both legs (and has not become a privateer yet)
5) Will and Elizabeth are in the game
6) Jack the monkey is still cursed

1, 2, 4 & 5 would make you believe that it's sometime before "At World's End", but the fact that QAR is in the game would mean that it's after "At World's End". Also, Jack the monkey's curse was supposedly lifted when Barbossa gives him a peanut in... I believe it was AWE.

Conclusion: The game does not conform to the Pirates of the Caribbean canon timeline.

Now, the real life time period for the movies would be sometime in the 18th century.

Fact: King George II is king of England in "On Stranger Tides". (he reigned from 1727-1760)
Fact: Piracy in the Caribbean lasted from the 16th century to the 19th century, but the "Golden Age" of piracy was between the 1660s and 1730s.

Conclusion: The Pirates of the Caribbean movies most likely would occur around 1725-1740.

Well said i nether tought of what you just came up with lol.

Back