Discussion Which Pirates of The Caribbean Movie Is Your Favorite?

The first film I ever saw was At World's End so that one has a special place in my heart. I love them all truly, since this was what I grew up on. I didn't do sports, didn't have many friends, I had Pirates of the Caribbean and myself but At World's End is the most meaningful to me. (Not to mention I can recite like half the film)

I love them all...all 4.

Here's the thing about the 5th film - Dead Men Tell No Tales; I have yet to see it. :smh: *I had actually rented the movie a few times (once after it showing was finished at the theater) but each time...things were quite chaotic for myself back then that I never had the chance to sit down and watch without interruption.

I would have to say The Curse Of The Black Pearl but Dead Men Tell No Tales was pretty good in my opinion.

Yeah, I meant Dead Men Tell No Tales bored me but Dead Men's Chest I loved as I could never forget this famous Sparrabeth scene. :D (You could tell that Lizzie enjoyed it a lot more than she was leading on about it lol!)

I like all of them but the 5th movie was somewhat boring and lack of adventure.
4,3,2 were very exciting to me, Davy Jones and Black Beard were stunning characters. :happy:

Agreed. Still, in my opinion the first one is the best. I don't think any of the films were able to beat these two scenes. :D

And now it turns out that Disney wants to do a sixth film, I just don't think that it'll be the same without Johnny in it though. He is and was and will forever be the one and only Captain Jack Sparrow,.. Savvy? ;)

In terms of personal preference, I pretty much enjoy them in the order in which they were released.

1. Curse of the Black Pearl
2. Dead Man's Chest and At World's End (they're kind of tied for me)
3. On Stranger Tides
4. Dead Men Tell No Tales

In terms of my opinion on the writing, I'd rank them about the same. Ultimately, the original trilogy was, on the whole, incredibly genius and well-written (with the second, and especially the third, being underrated and unduly hated by movie critics and general audiences alike; I guess it's just us fans that really give these movies a chance). However, At World's End is still a bit messy in some places. I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to call it "convoluted" as I've often heard people describe it, just sometimes hard to follow (I still have difficulty keeping track of all the deals and double-crossings going on throughout the film). And that is saying something because I am usually able to follow just about any story really well, and I feel like the complexity of the Pirates trilogy is one of its strengths in the first place.

On Stranger Tides is fun. I love the darker, more mysterious atmosphere of the film and I can appreciate the departure from the over-arcing story of the original three. It's kind of a breath of fresh air in that sense. But it's still a pretty poor follow-up to At World's End (we never find out what happened to the EITC, we never find out what the Brethren Court's success does for all these freedom-fighting pirates in the long run, etc.). The involvement of Ponce de Leon's 14th Century silver chalices also makes no sense in an ancient, pagan supernatural ritual. Even worse, they tried too hard to copy Tim Power's original "On Stranger Tides" book, when it really should have just served as light inspiration. It seems so incredibly obvious to me that the Fountain of Youth would be the perfect follow-up to where we leave Elizabeth, Will, and Jack in the third film. Elizabeth would no doubt be interested in finding a way to somehow remain with Will forever and work with the fate which they were given, and Jack still seems to desire a chance at immortality. I get that Keira Knightley wasn't particularly interested in another film, but Elizabeth really should have been in the movie, and for a lot of it at that. And they needed to continue exploring Jack's journey of wrestling between his selfish pursuit of freedom (be it through the Black Pearl, an absence of debts, or immortality) and his selfless desire to do the right thing (specifically through outsmarting everybody else). I liked Angelica, but I didn't really feel like her and Jack's story was really the best that the writers could offer us in terms of Jack's continued journey. He didn't really grow much at all by the end of the film, despite being raised to main-character status.

Dead Men Tell No Tales was a fun adventure (a really fun adventure, honestly) but it screwed up lots of continuity and didn't do Jack much justice. Jack was my least favorite part of the film. Loved Henry, Carina and Salazar. Enough said there.

Ultimately, as fun as the fourth and fifth films were, they were unnecessary. They could have been more relevant (i.e. they could have been more tied to the other three), but they weren't, so the creators should have stopped at At World's End. But I also don't hate the last two movies either. I still love them, flaws and all. I love this franchise. It's pretty great, no matter what the majority of people may say.

Curse of the Black Pearl by far. The sequels are just that and I feel that they rely too much on the supernatural, they just don’t have the combination of reality with a touch of the supernatural that the original does.

Curse of the Black Pearl by far. The sequels are just that and I feel that they rely too much on the supernatural, they just don’t have the combination of reality with a touch of the supernatural that the original does.
I partially agree with you. Two and three kind of demanded more supernatural elements, given that they were required to extend the story and create a grand narrative stretching across three films. Dead Man's Chest had to expand upon Curse of the Black Pearl by necessity, and At World's End had to then expand upon Dead Man's Chest by arguably more necessity.

It's only when On Stranger Tides and Dead Men Tell No Tales enter the equation that I really feel that the supernatural aspects began to feel tiresome and cliché...and also watered down.

We never received any explanation as to why Blackbeard's sword could do what it did or how he could zombify other people. He just happens to have a sword that does thingy things, and he happens to have the means to zombify his officers because...reasons.

We also learn nothing about the Devil's Triangle and what kind of magic was lurking inside to cause sailors to fear it and to cause Salazar's crew to become "cursed." We don't even know what "cursed" really means this time. All we know is that some kind of red vapor does some kind of thingy thing and now Salazar and his men are...forced to live in the Triangle for eternity? Is that what it does? Is that the curse? As far as I can tell, becoming ghosts and looking the way they did seems to simply be a result of them having died. You know, you die and your ghost takes on the appearance of the way in which you died? They're not undead, right? Just straight up dead? Right? So...does the Triangle trap them in some kind of crossroads between life and the afterlife? How does this then play into the duties of the Flying Dutchman? Gosh, nothing made sense. He and his crew were still cool though...I guess that was the point. Spectacle and fun.

The original three all had in-depth explanations as to why things were the way they were, and it never felt like an exposition dump either. It wasn't just random, shallow spectacle the way it was in the fourth and fifth movies. There was a reason for it, and for the most part, I felt that it worked pretty well. And it still felt grounded to me, despite continually ramping up the scale. I will defend two and three. Any further stories after that could and should have toned it down (even more so than what On Stranger Tides tried to do, I think).

Full disclosure: You still have your opinion. I'm not trying to argue with it, I'm just commenting on it.

Back