Workaround White Screen Fix/Workaround

Stephen Teague

Pirate Lord
Hey everyone,

I've seen a lot of reports as well as mentions of the white screen (the TLOPO client has stopped responding) insides of caves. Thankfully, a user (@Edward Blastbones) noticed that there were a lot of audio errors in his logs when this would occur. We confirmed what was causing the white screen issues is generally an issue with TLOPO's audio. I have tried posting around in Discords but obviously not everyone uses Discord. I'm hoping this thread will find a few more affected users. If you know any friends or guild-mates that are struggling with this, please reach out to them.

What a "white screen" looks like:

white screen.jpg

To fix this, disable all audio in the game through the in-game settings. If you're not sure how to do this, I'll attach screenshots below:

step one.jpg
Step one: Hit ESC and go to Game Options

step two.jpg
Step two: Go to Audio

step three.png
Step three: Ensure Sound Effects, Music, and First Mate voice are off. Once you do that, hit save.
  • I believe the most important one is sound effects but just to be safe (if you can live without them), turn them all off for the time being.
*Note* This may not fix every "white screen" issue that you encounter, but it should make them occur less often. We are working on a fix for it and hopefully that will be released soon. We apologize to anybody who has been inconvenienced by this.

Last edited:
Sorry... but this is not accurate. I run on low display & zero audio... and I crash EVERY TIME I enter a cave. I don’t get the white screen at a particular time... I'm at 100 FPS one minute and then BOOM ... zero FPS and white screen....

But it happens when I’m moving within the cave. I’ve tried staying 5 minutes in a fixed position and then moving. It is unpredictable. But it gets me every time Without fail.

I’ve made the changes in the Graphics Settings to run tLopo.exe at High Performance. I’ve reinstalled the game everyday I get on hoping that will change. I have game settings for display on LOW. And all boxes related to audio are OFF.

I’m a grinding pirate... I’ve got 9 mastered pirates and 4 I’m working on.... been part of tlopo since July 2016.

Sorry... but this is not accurate. I run on low display & zero audio... and I crash EVERY TIME I enter a cave. I don’t get the white screen at a particular time... I'm at 100 FPS one minute and then BOOM ... zero FPS and white screen....

But it happens when I’m moving within the cave. I’ve tried staying 5 minutes in a fixed position and then moving. It is unpredictable. But it gets me every time Without fail.

I’ve made the changes in the Graphics Settings to run tLopo.exe at High Performance. I’ve reinstalled the game everyday I get on hoping that will change. I have game settings for display on LOW. And all boxes related to audio are OFF.

I’m a grinding pirate... I’ve got 9 mastered pirates and 4 I’m working on.... been part of tlopo since July 2016.
I didn’t claim it would work for everyone, but it has helped multiple people. Here’s to hoping today’s fix solves your issues.

I didn’t claim it would work for everyone, but it has helped multiple people. Here’s to hoping today’s fix solves your issues.

Every day that there’s a new update... I delete the program, reinstall, and make my way through the caves... it’s always the secondary cave... like rats nest, catacombs, etc., where I crash. This latest update did not change the situation... I’ll keep my fingers crossed that an update in the future will do the job.

Thanks for your attention to this, Stephen!

Every day that there’s a new update... I delete the program, reinstall, and make my way through the caves... it’s always the secondary cave... like rats nest, catacombs, etc., where I crash. This latest update did not change the situation... I’ll keep my fingers crossed that an update in the future will do the job.

Thanks for your attention to this, Stephen!
Our latest release should (hopefully) resolve this issue.

still not working for me

Attachments

• tlopo-200412_013342.log
    50.4 KB · Views: 177
While turning off the sound didn't fix it for me, I went in and manually updated my graphics driver, and it seemed to work. I still stutter a bit in caves, but I'm not going unresponsive.

I'm on Windows 10 and I went
Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel(R) HD Graphics (double click) > Driver > Update Driver

Hope this can help someone else!

V1.10 - did not resolve the issue. I uninstall the game daily. Adjust all the game options to remove fancy loading screen, the dome, the sound the high display default setting to LOW. I already have Razer Cortex on the computer to boost ram... and already have tlopo.exe set up in graphics settings for high performance.

Once i land on padres, my fps is over 100. I walk into Beckett's, the fps dips but returns back to over 100 once inside the cave... as my pirate moves in the cave, fps goes from over 100 to 1.3 or so ... herking and jerking the pirates ability to move in the cave.... and before i get to the first set of Grunts ... white screen. FPS crash.

I will continue to do this daily. Kinda stinks cuz ive got all this free time and can't be on pirates. Thanks for all you're trying to do to resolve this issue

V1.10 - did not resolve the issue. I uninstall the game daily. Adjust all the game options to remove fancy loading screen, the dome, the sound the high display default setting to LOW. I already have Razer Cortex on the computer to boost ram... and already have tlopo.exe set up in graphics settings for high performance.

Once i land on padres, my fps is over 100. I walk into Beckett's, the fps dips but returns back to over 100 once inside the cave... as my pirate moves in the cave, fps goes from over 100 to 1.3 or so ... herking and jerking the pirates ability to move in the cave.... and before i get to the first set of Grunts ... white screen. FPS crash.

I will continue to do this daily. Kinda stinks cuz ive got all this free time and can't be on pirates. Thanks for all you're trying to do to resolve this issue
Btw... I work sometimes multiple pirates on two computers... one is a pc tower, the other is a pc laptop... and crash problem is consistent on both computers which I scan daily for malware, etc.

I am getting a non-responding pattern frequently before the game even loads. 3 of the last 4 log-ins, the launcher wouldn't even load the game. Any suggestions?

While turning off the sound didn't fix it for me, I went in and manually updated my graphics driver, and it seemed to work. I still stutter a bit in caves, but I'm not going unresponsive.

I'm on Windows 10 and I went
Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel(R) HD Graphics (double click) > Driver > Update Driver

Hope this can help someone else!
There may be a sequence that may need to be followed. If one is going to upgrade their graphic drivers, then usually it is better to uninstall the games themselves first. In most cases, the game will scan the system for driver capabilities and set bunches of parameters while booting up. Some of the game settings may or may not clear from the last log in. So, first remove game and cache/temp folders, reboot, install new drivers, reboot, install newest game files from site. REBOOT again. Then... try the game. All that rebooting sets registry and dll libraries and such. Depending on if the player installed in another drive, like I did, some game info may or may not clear as some games look only in known locations and whatever else they are programmed for.

And todays games with internet cloud thing are easy to uninstall and recover. As much as I dislike online game storage and such.

Last edited:
sloppy code writing is sloppy
It sounds like disney was sloppy, and I can believe that as I believe this game was meant as nothing more than a breakfast cereal cd freebie advertising campaign and the money/sub thing was thought of around the same time when they saw how many hooked into it. Always about the money.
And the tlopo staff seem to be taking potco well beyond it's capabilities already

It sounds like disney was sloppy, and I can believe that as I believe this game was meant as nothing more than a breakfast cereal cd freebie advertising campaign and the money/sub thing was thought of around the same time when they saw how many hooked into it. Always about the money.
And the tlopo staff seem to be taking potco well beyond it's capabilities already

I believe the phrase is "hit the nail on the head" - as an employee of said company, I can 100% say that this is about how they develop ALL of their software, even today. :D :D :D

I have tried all of the above. Still crash when entering cave on Tormenta, Ravens, Etc. I can sometimes TP to someone, but I can't enter them myself. All started with the Pypperoni update.

I have tried all of the above. Still crash when entering cave on Tormenta, Ravens, Etc. I can sometimes TP to someone, but I can't enter them myself. All started with the Pypperoni update.

What type of computer are you running on - desktop or laptop? What graphics adapter do you have?

Running a Lenovo YOGA laptop. Intel UHD Graphics 620.

Had a feeling you were going to say Intel Graphics... Best I can say is make sure your drivers are up to date. Intel Graphics and TLOPO (since PYP) don't seem to play nice together, when it comes to this particular thing. If you had said desktop, I'd say see if you could grab a cheap nVidia or Radeon card to throw in, but that's not exactly an option on a laptop.

Back