Question Why are ships modeled the way they are?

Tankerf106

Pirate
I searched the forums and I couldn't really find an answer to this question. Why are some ships, namely the Galleons and Frigates, modeled the way they are?

This is a Galleon design, it actually looks a lot like a Brig, so why do they look much more different in-game? And this is a Frigate design, again, much different to what's seen in-game.

So what exactly was the thought process as to why they were designed the way they were?

I searched the forums and I couldn't really find an answer to this question. Why are some ships, namely the Galleons and Frigates, modeled the way they are?

This is a Galleon design, it actually looks a lot like a Brig, so why do they look much more different in-game? And this is a Frigate design, again, much different to what's seen in-game.

So what exactly was the thought process as to why they were designed the way they were?
If I had to guess, I would say the reason why they modeled the ships the way they did was because POTCO was a game aimed towards kids and young teens. In order to make the game look more appealing, they had to make ships look (what a kid would think) really cool-looking, when realistically they don't look like any ship off the face of the planet besides the Sloop and maybe the Brig.

Now Pirates of the Burning Sea is another pirate game that has ship models that are way more accurate to historical ships. Obviously, POTBS was aimed at an older age group, thus, the more realistic everything is.

If I had to guess, I would say the reason why they modeled the ships the way they did was because POTCO was a game aimed towards kids and young teens. In order to make the game look more appealing, they had to make ships look (what a kid would think) really cool-looking, when realistically they don't look like any ship off the face of the planet besides the Sloop and maybe the Brig.

Now Pirates of the Burning Sea is another pirate game that has ship models that are way more accurate to historical ships. Obviously, POTBS was aimed at an older age group, thus, the more realistic everything is.
I would say this statement pretty much is the answer..

Never heard of that one, but it looks similar in some ways.

Disney created simplified ship models that could interact and not require huge graphics cards and lots of RAM to process and likely they also wanted each 'class' of ship to be very easily identifiable. Sloops just look fast. Galleons look big and slow, etc. The models used to be more detailed early on. They all had skeleton bowsprits and burning lanterns mounted on them.

Disney created simplified ship models that could interact and not require huge graphics cards and lots of RAM to process and likely they also wanted each 'class' of ship to be very easily identifiable. Sloops just look fast. Galleons look big and slow, etc. The models used to be more detailed early on. They all had skeleton bowsprits and burning lanterns mounted on them.
I think they even had basic damage view models, like holes in the sails, you could see visible damage to the hull, and even knock down crew. The good ol' days, that removal is probably what drew me away from it until I realized the game ceased to exist.

Yeah. The version of POTCO from 2013 that we now see in TLOPO currently was really stripped of a lot of features that added a lot aesthetic and atmosphere to the game.

Cause Disney.

In all seriousness, Eliza and River are pretty accurate. They made it so they weren’t too demanding on the game

I think the main point of the thread is why do some ships look, well, ridiculous, while others don't.
I've never heard of a game coding requirement that requires some ships, not all, to look silly.
They could have easily designed the galleon to look like a galleon and the frigate to look like a frigate, all within the parameters the current ships in question have.
I really can't see how a 20+ flight of stairs leading to nowhere on the galleon helps with coding, graphics or RAM, not to mention the multi-floor layout of the frigates.
It wasn't because of graphics or RAM issues.

I think the main point of the thread is why do some ships look, well, ridiculous, while others don't.
I've never heard of a game coding requirement that requires some ships, not all, to look silly.
They could have easily designed the galleon to look like a galleon and the frigate to look like a frigate, all within the parameters the current ships in question have.
I really can't see how a 20+ flight of stairs leading to nowhere on the galleon helps with coding, graphics or RAM, not to mention the multi-floor layout of the frigates.
Like it was already addressed, it was probably for the sake of appealing to kids a bit better, so they had them look a little more cartoonish.

Disney's Frigate to me is very impractical and oddly designed model. Especially for sea travel. Even though I love sailing my War Frigate. The low bow means the deck would constantly be getting washed over and possibly cause them to capsize.

Last edited:
Well ship models don't because they have to or anything like that is likely because they way disney made them in potco a while ago. The aren't real models.

thank you to telling us about that game, im playing that now instead of this mess.

Additionally there are tons of people clamoring for the developers to release a carrack even though the galleon model in this game is a carrack with it's classic raised forecastle. Will the carrack, if ever released, be a galleon model? It's a kind of difficult question since this is a recreation of potco and I don't want to see them change the name of galleon to carrack for the said model plus carracks were obsolete in the era setting of the game. Ideally if this were not a recreation of potco they would just knock the forecastle off the galleons. I've no idea about the frigate, in game currently it's just a weird design with no obvious reason for it, probably River's explanation is the answer.

Back