why do pirates leave their guilds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capten Blacksheep

Site Founder
i can understand why pirates leave inactive guilds or ones with no gm. but leave just because you think the grass may be greener on the other side. let me tell you this, normally it is not and you wish you never left your old guild. a big mystrey to me is pirates that are well liked and popolur in their guilds just up and leave. more than likely we all feel unappeaciated or left out at one time or an other, but that's no reason to click on that leave button. at lease you should wait a day and see how you feel about it then. most of the time feeling left out is all in your head anyway. for those of you feeling that way try this. greet everyone that come on line. say good bye to you guild when logging off. go to all guild acttives when online. join in guild chat. when guildies say ships open or i'm at dark hart, do it, join them, plunder with them. get your self out there and be seen by fellow guild members. helpping others is is a good way to become well known in you guild as well. for those who say make me a veteran/ officer or i'm leaving, well don't let the door hit your back side on the way out. if you really want rank in a guild just do the things i out lined above an you will proubly be one before you know it. you get back from a guild what you put into it. i wouldn't tell ya wrong mate.:flag:

very good thread topic... i always leave guilds because they're either too big or too small.... i've only committed myself to one guild... stayed in it for 3 months until it fell apart.. ruined they way i see guilds forever. i dont have patience and or care for guild activities, or for that matter other people who log on... not because im cruel or anything, just dont want to commit myself just in case something happens to that guild also.

i used to be a guild hopper really bad. but i quit. it was terrible. i think it was just fun getting accepted by people into there guild. but after i joined the dark warlordz i stopped but then they fell apart and i did it again but now i have quit it

i can understand why pirates leave inactive guilds or ones with no gm. but leave just because you think the grass may be greener on the other side. let me tell you this, normally it is not and you wish you never left your old guild. a big mystrey to me is pirates that are well liked and popolur in their guilds just up and leave. more than likely we all feel unappeaciated or left out at one time or an other, but that's no reason to click on that leave button. at lease you should wait a day and see how you feel about it then. most of the time feeling left out is all in your head anyway. for those of you feeling that way try this. greet everyone that come on line. say good bye to you guild when logging off. go to all guild acttives when online. join in guild chat. when guildies say ships open or i'm at dark hart, do it, join them, plunder with them. get your self out there and be seen by fellow guild members. helpping others is is a good way to become well known in you guild as well. for those who say make me a veteran/ officer or i'm leaving, well don't let the door hit your back side on the way out. if you really want rank in a guild just do the things i out lined above an you will proubly be one before you know it. you get back from a guild what you put into it. i wouldn't tell ya wrong mate.:flag:
very good point capten, lots of people ask me to join my guild randomly then i dc.... when i come back they are gone D:

well to be honest large guilds are a huge problem because your chat becomes flooded with people from your guild who are talking and some people can be very rude plus i just dont like being commited to a guild so my guild was made for friends and just so i dont have some random guy giving me a request to join his/her guild and yet it still happens go to an ideal server "wanna join my guild" "no" and yet again another problem with being a higher lvl people want you in their guilds if your a higher lvl and if people were actually helpful having low lvl people would not be a problem seeing that you help them so large guilds can be a problem depending though the better guilds usually have people who help the lower lvls

on a second note some guilds tend to be more of a dictatorship where it just the officers who have some say and the guildmaster just considers what the officers say and just do what they want after that if you join a guild make sure the guildmaster is good or that the guild is more of a democracy so you have some say in the matter

this one is pretty obvious YOU WANT AN ACTIVE GUILD you want to join a guild where members come online often and if you are not yet maxed you can have some people help you and even have guild events where you can just joke around and such

in addition to all the things listed above you want to join a guild that does things your interested in such as svs or pvp or just simply joking around you want to be in a guild you can enjoy and if you dont enjoy it you leave

there are exceptions, i know i love spania, and i even promised carlos i would never leave, but when my bulldog penny died on christmas morning, she was so much of my everyday spania life, her and parrot christa for me, it was not even a do i leave spania, do i tell everyone good bye,..was more a do i even want to live anymore,...and i think sometimes that also happens in peoples lives where they become overhwhelmed with just plain old life, and has nothing to do, with even the game,...and when you finally can come back,..is hard to explain and get back to where you were with friends, and just hope, they take you back...for me,..i am thankful,....and i was just honest with carlos this time, i dont have any dogs, dying anytime soon,.....(i still miss my penny)View attachment 4416
I'm glad you came back Bella... :D Very cute dog!

I'm glad you came back Bella... :D Very cute dog!

ty isaiah, even now is hard to be without penny, i did have her what 12, or 13 years, was a long time for a bulldog, and she had been blind since 2, and as you see that parrot christa, sitting on her head though has been 4 months still says, come here penny, still calls out for her,..they were very close...people think i am such a tough girl, but when it comes to animals,...they are like family to me...everyday part of my life,....my heart cries out for them, i wish i could save them all, but i can only save one animal at a time,.is all any of us can do...:parrot:

Some people just can't tie themselves to one guild and some need to leave to realize it was the biggest mistake of their lives. I've only had two real guilds in my whole life. I thought my first guild was the only guild for me but after finding my current guild I realized I never knew what a true guild was until I met them.

People are different and there can be many reasons.

I have only one reason and that is when I feel personal harassment and it has influence on my self esteem.

People are different and there can be many reasons.

I have only one reason and that is when I feel personal harassment and it has influence on my self esteem.

I dont know why, but from a very early age (my dad broke my nose at age of 5, got worse from there ) personal harassment has only gave me a will to fight, is something i saw in you, beauty can be a curse,...brings its own threats, again, you only have to be stronger, i saw that in you too,...i saw you had something more in you than just your appearance, you had your humor, your caring, you are smart, and a strong minded girl, this is the part,..that when i think of you just somehow does not seem to fit,...a lack of self esteem. I cant think of one person, who could make me feel a lack of self esteem, they could try, it wouldnt work,...because i feel ok with life, who i am,...and with those around me,..in my real life,.mostly animals,..but they are to me what really counts, so what hapens here,...i just get over ,...the next day,...cause i aways say,,tomorrow, is new day, things always look a little brighter,..and what ever happened day before i let go, and wish you could to, becuase your friends here, miss you,...
and next time you feel a little personal harrassment, well you know i dont want a ban, you just have to say, back off, whoever it may have been, just say, today, is not a good day for,.me,...lets talk about this tomorrow.....:piratemickey:

I can say that if a member makes any comment or whispers to me about leaving, I encourage it. You can't make folks stay. I always tell them the door is always open. Some venture on and we've had a number come back.

If a member says they're departing to start their own, I encourage them - as long as they don't make effort to pilfer our membership or campaign to our members to go. And again, the benefit's been some come back.

Being active is important for sure. I try to post one or two events a week at least to give mates a reason to pop in or want to take part. Also, setting up events with other guilds or at least promoting their events can help. It always seems a good thing to me to have something going on - even if another group is organizing it.

I don' t know if ETC can be considered a truly successful company or not. We reached max a few times and are closing on year two. My biggest things have been minimal but understandable guidelines and an open atmosphere promoting cooperation. We don't always succeed but you as GMs and officers have to be motivated which in turn motivates your membership.

I dont know why, but from a very early age (my dad broke my nose at age of 5, got worse from there ) personal harassment has only gave me a will to fight, is something i saw in you, beauty can be a curse,...brings its own threats, again, you only have to be stronger, i saw that in you too,...i saw you had something more in you than just your appearance, you had your humor, your caring, you are smart, and a strong minded girl, this is the part,..that when i think of you just somehow does not seem to fit,...a lack of self esteem. I cant think of one person, who could make me feel a lack of self esteem, they could try, it wouldnt work,...because i feel ok with life, who i am,...and with those around me,..in my real life,.mostly animals,..but they are to me what really counts, so what hapens here,...i just get over ,...the next day,...cause i aways say,,tomorrow, is new day, things always look a little brighter,..and what ever happened day before i let go, and wish you could to, becuase your friends here, miss you,...
and next time you feel a little personal harrassment, well you know i dont want a ban, you just have to say, back off, whoever it may have been, just say, today, is not a good day for,.me,...lets talk about this tomorrow.....:piratemickey:

In an objective thread like this I don't see how its possible to have post that discuss how one certain person is or feel or don't feel and further more neglecting the amount of harassment, when the knoglegde of that doesn't exist? It would also be an extradite of a person

In an objective thread like this I don't see how its possible to have post that refers to how one certain person is or feel or don't feel and further more neglecting the amount of harassment, when the knoglegde of that doesn't exist?

i guess i was just saying personally, no i would never let anyone personally harrass me in any way,..and hope that by hearing of other peoples struggles in life,..that we have them to,..and have to overcome them,...never are easy,..this was not a comparison to say my harrassment was worse than yours but rather, that, we all in our own way, can overcome anything,..especially with help from our friends,..they are who are there for us in the end,...and was also my way of not asking you to elaborate because this is an objective thread, so i dont wont to have to ask you to elaborate on how you feel or dont feel or on the amount of harassment, they dont like personal drama, as they call it,. so i kept it simple,..not asking, on why you so upset, but rather, hope that you could let it,.go,.because your friends, are behind you no matter what,..., but you rather go, is your decision,...in the end,...

Leaving a guild and be left as a guild can be hurtful no doubt about that, and I have tried being on both sides. Leaving and loosing people I cared very much for and staying and loosing people I cared very much for. And bella you are right that I'm a smart girl, so pretty much have to push me over the edge. Well either way you leave or get left feelings will get hurt. I never thought there be a reason to let people you cared about get left behind. All I can say is that you should never compromise on who is running your life, and if leaving guild with great people means you will get the track of your life back, that is what you have to do, and great friends will still be there.

Leaving a guild and be left as a guild can be hurtful no doubt about that, and I have tried being on both sides. Leaving and loosing people I cared very much for and staying and loosing people I cared very much for. And bella you are right that I'm a smart girl, so pretty much have to push me over the edge. Well either way you leave or get left feelings will get hurt. I never thought there be a reason to let people you cared about get left behind. All I can say is that you should never compromise on who is running your life, and if leaving guild with great people means you will get the track of your life back, that is what you have to do, and great friends will still be there.

I am with you on the never let someone compromise on who is running your life, i am a there is the door, you rather be somewhere else, see ya,..:ahoy:..but i have had my own guild as you have, and is hard,..people come and go, and you cant keep everyone happy, and i have been in other big guilds, made lots of friends,.every guild i have been, and always they say, i hate spania, start naming names, and i just say, those my friends, dont talk about them, so yes, they still are there,..though you are not there anymore,...but for me,..i have never felt at home anywhere, like i feel at home at spania,..i dont know why. I just hope you find a guild that has same humor, same respect for women as they do here,..maybe get in shamus guild, he funny,.:party:..and a guild that doesnt make you stand out on tortuga, in a line saying "join my guild" i hate that,.i dont see you doing that either lol. :rolleyes: Inferno they are nice, your brother is there, Ned is nice, but there is only 8% women there, so you really have to speak up to be heard,..the women are a bit quiet there, they are not used to out spoken women. So to get same respect you do here you have to speak up there,...And they all master pirates, but they dont joke at all, ...not even a chuckle,.. :mad: Good luck with what ever you choose, because as you said, your friends will always be here, just where you left them,....:angel:

i have only been playing pirates for about 7 months now. I had no clue what a guild even was. my husband got me into the game. i really enjoy it. but i can relate to being new and not knowing anything and then having to choose a guild it can be a little overwhelming. you don't know anyone and some people don't have family that are helping them learn. it was easy for me cause my husband is a guild master already. but not everyone is so lucky. it may take someone a few tries to get into the right guild for them. when someone leaves ours we do not take it personal and if they want back in they are more then welcome. after all its still a game and its supposed to be fun. i don't see why it matters what guild you are in. once a friend always a friend:cool:

I think some members just leave because they need to, for one or another reason, which are valid reasons.

If they do have a valid reason, it is good to wish them well, and as Eliza said, encourage them to do great.

Otherwise..

Leaving without a "valid" reason, is considered an act of dis involvement or guild hopping.

If they don't leave for a valid reason I feel there is a disconnect. Whether the guildmaster of the guild cares about the guild being successful or not.

A large number of times some members leave because of their own dis involvement. They just aren't in the loop or connected with their guilds, they don't ask what's going on, they don't care to find out what the guild is up to, they don't care to find out how they can help. I have seen some members blame the guild for everything, yet they were the ones that failed to get involved.

While the guild has responsibility to keep them involved, the guild can't baby sit them all the time either. So they have to have some sort of willingness to get involved, without being asked to all the time. If they have initiative, that is a great member you have there.

In other cases, the guilds just don't have what it takes to keep them involved. Hence why they leave.

And some times these member's attitude is just too controversial also attributed as drama, and can't stay calmed for too long, and problems arise, which trigger them to leave the guild or get ejection.

These are the most common things I have found, in my guild master Career. Of course there are other reasons why a pirate would leave, but that would be the minority.

In my opinion -

It is important to treat all members with same level of respect and opportunity, as long they merit it. All members should feel great about being part of the guild, not just a select few. Once everyone is on the same page, it is easier to focus more on the newer members. Newer members should get a bit of special treatment until they are familiar enough with the guild , otherwise it would be hard for them to catch up.

If they already have intentions to leave without a valid reason. No much can be done there except to clarify things. Some times there are misunderstandings , and clarifying things help.

Leaving for no reason, is not a good reason. If you leave the guild, you gotta have a reason, if you don't have a reason, then there is a disconnect there. And for me personally I would try to find out what we are doing wrong and why that disconnect exists. So instead of blaming the member for leaving or just encouraging the members to leave, I would blame us for having these gaps of disconnection with our members. It is both ways. No just one way deal. It is important for the guild to adjust to their members as much as much as it is important the members to adjust to the guild. Until a level of stability has been reached.

I left my first guild because they were rude and liked to gossip and spread rumors. Although we had a large, popular guild it sure as heck was not family. There are a few people in Spania that I am not too fond of, but it's a family to me nonetheless. Great friends. I don't understand why anyone would want to leave such a great guild.
Other guilds have no guidance and invite whomever they want into a guild. Some people just don't feel they belong. Others may feel neglected. The first impression is the one that counts. If you join a guild and the first person who opens their mouth is rude, you think you wanna be there? I would doubt that.
I don't know why I am commenting on this lol. I have only ever been in 2 guilds. Not everyone finds the family right for them. But those who leave for no reason, they come in then go, that bugs me. I had a friend, every day I would see him in another guild. He would say, I don't like the people there. I kept telling him why join a guild then? He would say, I don't know. I just need people to talk to I guess. Eventually he quit the game because he felt unwanted, but yeah. Haha. Did I just make any sense? I don't even understand this thread lol. Oh well. BYEEEEEEE.

I feel there are several reasons why pirates will choose to leave a guild.

Everyone is different & people need to understand for themselves where they fit in the best. As GM of my own guild, I understand this & do not hold it against anyone that decides to leave, even if no such valid reason is communicated. Perhaps, this is the reason why my own guild remains so tiny (lol) but...I much rather have someone unhappy that leaves than someone unhappy & feels obligated to stay.

Mates, I believe that I am in the minority here when I say that...for me...a guild really isn't that important. I say this for various reasons although the main reason is due to my "friends" (I draw from them on the game my support structure).

I congratulate POTCO guilds that remain well-structured & organized. Many, many, many pirates desire the sense of belonging that a guild can provide for them including the feeling of "community" they may take away from it each time they log onto & off from the game.

Sometimes I feel GM's of guilds on POTCO are totally missing the point. *I mean, why so serious??? For many, the game is considered a great escape from the everyday routine & "grind" that most people outside of the game experience. A tremendous amount of responsibility/activity exists outside of the game &...as such...I feel that some pirates (including myself) have to keep both the game & real life in balance. When stress is experienced as result of playing the game, then something truly has been lost from the POTCO that Disney first created.

I hope that I am making some sense here. *Mates, I "love" this game!!! However, I wish some pirates would realize it is here us each to experience & have fun. Guilds, similar to people, are not perfect but...remember...a guild would not be there if it were not for the people.

People leave. And guilds change. LIFE goes on :)

grass.jpg

This is a metaphor featuring Ants and Grasshoppers as an example of our model.

Here is a tale telling you It is indeed easier to be a grasshopper than being an ant. Why is so? being a grasshopper is about pleasure, and not doing anything. Being an ant requires commitment, caring, and a work. But an for eye for an eye, you get what you pay for, and at the end that is what you end up with, savvy?.

Lets face it, there are more grasshopper than there are ants in the Caribbean. I definitely disagree with the under statement saying the grasshoppers are in the minority, I think it is the way around,at least in this Caribbean.

Drinking rum, parting, isn't that what pirates do? personally don't have any against drinking rum and parting, but I think there is a limit. Drinking all the rum, having us ants working hard, why would the grasshopper care?, while the ants do the hard work. But I just think we will have to agree to disagree. If I had to waste my time drinking the rum all day, all I can say is I am a proud ant, and like love to do stuff.

istockphoto_8054316-pirate-sword.jpg
plan_ship.jpeg
Who will build the ships? and who will be do the pirate labor work?, who will build the awesome weapons you use?

Ant_Grasshopper.png

If I had to be a grasshopper personally - I would probably have quit long time ago.

You can say I am one happy ant.

stock-vector-happy-ant-26371039.jpg

And here is us:

happy guild.jpg

Can you say the same about a guild full of grasshoppers?

insect_clipart_grasshopper.gif
grasshopper1.gif
grasshopper2.gif
Mr.lazy.gif

Drink Rum, Party, Quit if there is work.

PS: No grasshoppers or Ants were tortured or slaved in the making of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back