Why do we play?

I play to escape responsibility and have fun. I spend all day working, caring for family, ect. When all is settled, responsibilities managed, and I have the time, I get to escape for a while. I chose pirates because my family encouraged me to do so. They have moved on to other games when they have the time, but I have stuck with pirates. I appreciate the connection with the movie franchise and pirates provides readily available (most of the time), inexpensive entertainment.

I do remember that it is a game. I also remember that the other pirates are controlled by real people. I have met some very interesting people there. Whether or not they are accurately representing themselves, they are interesting as pirates.

There are times when I do not level, quest, or do anything remotely related to progressing or building my pirate. We see how long it takes each of us drop Neban or Remington without healing or other assistance, a group of us go out and SvS, or we just sit around and poke fun at one another. Lacking any philosophical pretense, my bottom line is I play pirates to have a little fun.

To much to quote ;)
I flick on and off the forum while i'm having my coffee in the morning and throughout the day and evening.I check a few things out and go on to other things. I have it in my shortcuts on my computer screen so it's easy to click on and off. Not that i get a thousand messages lol but i enjoy the ones i do get and the friendships that i
have made. I enjoy playing pirates when there are people around but sometimes enjoy sailing by myself.

I work every day. I don't have a family, but I do have friends that I talk to often and see whenever our schedules permit.

Pirates is a way of stepping out of my life for a while. I have no inner desire to be a real pirate or live that lifestyle...in reality it was a brutal, usually short existence. This is a fun, sanitized version of pirating that appealed to me because I like the movies. It's not a technically difficult game, and since this was the first MMORPG I'd ever played, that was a bonus. Since then I've begun playing another game and am considering trying a third.

Sometimes I want to see my familiar islands and characters and I will play relentlessly for weeks. Then I get tired of it, and sometimes play the other game, or just read for weeks.

Unless something drastically horrible happens, I can't see myself ever leaving this game. I will probably continue to play in cycles, as I do now, for a very long time. And when I'm in a play mode, it's usually very intense for me. 3-4 hours a night on weekdays, and up to 8-10 hours each weekend day. But then, unless there's an unusual happening in the game, I'll step away for a month or more. The boards are my link to any new happenings and I check them daily.

I play POTCO specifically because fantasizing as a pirate is timeless! *What I mean by this is that pirates :eek: (& their infamous way-of-life) actually happened; it is historical (Duh, right...:facepalm:), lol?

Now, I am not pretending to be any kind of gaming expert but the way I see it, if people (meaning 'players') can relate to something on a human, historical, or adventurous level...then the odds are more than likely that their interest will peak & remain sustainable on a broader level. In my opinion, POTCO offers all three! (Cut off my leg & affix a wooden stick to the end of it if I am wrong, lol).

Plain & simple, role-playing as a pirate will never seize to end. It is a generational fixation. :D

Back