Why do we play?

Angel Sunfury

Honorable Pirate
It isnt a story, this is a ... reasoning.

I was thinking about why do we play?
I met one pirate, lv 1 in the game. He says - all of you are mad and dependent of game! why do you play a computer game, if you have real life? -
THIS made me pensive. maybe i know answer.

Everybody have some wishes, and we want to fulfill them. someone wants a house - so he starts work, he is getting some money and he is going to buy house. Thats possible. BUT someone has a wishes wich they arent possible.

For example - someone wants to became a PIRATE. - how? go to caribbean and ... what to do next? It isnt possible to became pirate with cutlass and old ship now :( so people with impossible dreams and wishes are looking for a way, how to make their dreams and wishes to come true. - You can write a book about pirates life, you can talk about pirates with friends, you can dream about it. but it still isnt that, what you want.

You want become a pirate in real life. It isnt possible, in real life.
So lets make virtual life, where is almost everything possible! So, I think this is the reason why we play games - because of possibilities, which arent exists in our real life.

BEWARE. You love game? ^-^ really, so much, you luv game? ... you must to be careful - DONT spend a lot a lot ( i mean all day - or days....) of time on a game. you can become dependent. and i think its bad, because you arent living real life - you live in virtual life...

Pirates, lets play the game, but dont forget a real life!!! :) Savvy?! ;)

*I agree with you, Angel. People need to be careful to not let their own reality become "warped" to where spending time on the game is all they ever try to do.

I admit, I am guilty of this &...the longer I spend time away from the game the more I understand where my priorites lie. However, I feel that the time I do spend on the game exists oftentimes because there is nothing better to do. But then again, sometimes I don't look so well for other things to do either.

The older you become in age ('generally speaking') the more insight you gain that permits you to understand that LIFE is pretty boring & unadventurous. Unless you are blessed with wealth or able to earn a lot of money (& this is just my opinion) many times, everything becomes a "routine" to where you find yourself going through the motions each day inorder to keep yourself busy and/or occupied.

IDK. I don't have all the answers. I wish I did. But this Caribbean heat I keep spending a lot of time in has also in a way "fried" my brain a little, rofl.

*I agree with you, Angel. People need to be careful to not let their own reality become "warped" to where spending time on the game is all they ever try to do.

I admit, I am guilty of this &...the longer I spend time away from the game the more I understand where my priorites lie. However, I feel that the time I do spend on the game exists oftentimes because there is nothing better to do. But then again, sometimes I don't look so well for other things to do either.

The older you become in age ('generally speaking') the more insight you gain that permits you to understand that LIFE is pretty boring & unadventurous. Unless you are blessed with wealth or able to earn a lot of money (& this is just my opinion) many times, everything becomes a "routine" to where you find yourself going through the motions each day inorder to keep yourself busy and/or occupied.

IDK. I don't have all the answers. I wish I did. But this Caribbean heat I keep spending a lot of time in has also in a way "fried" my brain a little, rofl.

You are right. :)

I met one pirate, lv 1 in the game. He says - all of you are mad and dependent of game! why do you play a computer game, if you have real life? -

Everybody have some wishes, and we want to fulfill them. someone wants a house - so he starts work, he is getting some money and he is going to buy house. Thats possible. BUT someone has a wishes wich they arent possible.

For example - someone wants to became a PIRATE. - how? go to caribbean and ... what to do next? It isnt possible to became pirate with cutlass and old ship now :( so people with impossible dreams and wishes are looking for a way, how to make their dreams and wishes to come true. - You can write a book about pirates life, you can talk about pirates with friends, you can dream about it. but it still isnt that, what you want.

So lets make virtual life, where is almost everything possible! So, I think this is the reason why we play games - because of possibilities, which arent exists in our real life.

BEWARE. You love game? ^-^ really, so much, you luv game? ... you must to be careful - DONT spend a lot a lot ( i mean all day - or days....) of time on a game. you can become dependent. and i think its bad, because you arent living real life - you live in virtual life...

And excuse my English :p :D

Lol :D I usually wait until after 5 p.m to log on... I mean... After 8 hours of school, 7 hours of sleep, and 2 hours of getting ready... I think i deserve a little break from reality D: because sometimes reality is not the best... sometimes the game isn't the best anymore either.. o.e The game kinda helps in a way. Home away from home :p

:lol1: Reading your thread, Angel, I couldn't help but thought that I probably spent more time here on the Forums than on Potco itself. ;) I believe there are a lot more ppl who do the same thing I do. There were threads back in 2010 about how many hours we actually spent here on the Forums, and how many hours we spent on the game. Now those two are totally different.

Be aware that playing Potco (or any other game regardless what kind) requires "dedicated time". It means that from time to time, we have to concentrate and only do one thing - which is playing the game - and not do anything else. Yes, we can multitask and say 'brb' and go do other things, or eat/listen to music/watch TV while you are playing. But at times, we need both hands on keyboard and mouse to play the game, plus your concentration, which makes us unable to do anything else that requires our hands or concentration. But being on the Forums does not always require that dedicated time, if we only read or type our messages. Of course if we do things "for the Forums", then yes, it requires dedicated time. But generally speaking, we can multitask while we are online on the Forums. So the difference is, if I play Potco, I need to sit down and spend some time playing. Whereas on the Forums, I can walk around and do other stuff too while coming online on the Forums.

What I'm trying to say is, most of us spend some dedicated time playing Potco, and most of us spend quite some time on the Forums. The danger is when any of us sit down too long and spend too much of dedicated time doing one thing only - whether that's playing Potco (or playing any other game), or being on the Forums, or in a broader sense, doing ANYthing really in life, regardless what - which take away our time doing our real life activities.

With those being said, "a desire to become a pirate" is too far fetch for me personally (and I believe a lot of ppl share the same opinion as mine). I wouldn't mind becoming a pirate like in Potco game ... there was a thread about this: 'What would you do when you woke up on Potco?'. But I would NOT want to be a real pirate like they are portrayed in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Dirty, sweaty, living dangerous adventures, rough, banged up, and so on. I just like the simplified version of it, not the real piracy life like back in the 17 & 18 centuries. Even so, as stated on the other thread, I still would want to be able to come back to my 21-st century life; with internet, cars, Air Conditioning, microwave, toilet paper, and so on. So playing Pirates on Potco will NOT in any way replace my sense of reality in that matter.

Also, spending time quite a lot of time doing something "for the Forums" is actually as real as it can get to me. I'm living a real life actually doing something (in my case, designing signatures, banners or making videos). It requires and sharpens my real life skills and talents. And you'd better believe that every work that we do here could go to our portfolio that we could actually 'sell' in real life. Whether that is writing ability, designing ability, programming ability (for you IT ppl behind the screen who develop this website), communication ability, and so on. We live in an information era; anything positive that you produce online, will count to sell your abilities. So it is NOT a waste of time, or living a virtual life.

Of course other than being behind the computer to do something with this information material, we still need our social life too (meeting ppl face to face with our friends other than in this game or Forums). That's the part that we can balance.

... Just another perspective on how we can view this game ... ;)

i heard that some ppl played world of warcraft over college my first thought was wow why would u do that the game isnt life u need real friends in the real world not just some ppl u know online u need an education and a good job i just play when i have nothing else to do (which is alot of the time for me) but i also talk to my friends and go to school u dont need the game to live but the reason why we play is because we want to be part of the movies (most of us) i mean would anyone have even thought about playing this game if it didnt have pirates of the caribbean in its name? i highly doubt it the reason people play is because they want to be part of pirates of the caribbean and others they just need something to do

:lol1: Reading your thread, Angel, I couldn't help but thought that I probably spent more time here on the Forums than on Potco itself. ;) I believe there are a lot more ppl who do the same thing I do. There were threads back in 2010 about how many hours we actually spent here on the Forums, and how many hours we spent on the game. Now those two are totally different.

Be aware that playing Potco (or any other game regardless what kind) requires "dedicated time". It means that from time to time, we have to concentrate and only do one thing - which is playing the game - and not do anything else. Yes, we can multitask and say 'brb' and go do other things, or eat/listen to music/watch TV while you are playing. But at times, we need both hands on keyboard and mouse to play the game, plus your concentration, which makes us unable to do anything else that requires our hands or concentration. But being on the Forums does not always require that dedicated time, if we only read or type our messages. Of course if we do things "for the Forums", then yes, it requires dedicated time. But generally speaking, we can multitask while we are online on the Forums. So the difference is, if I play Potco, I need to sit down and spend some time playing. Whereas on the Forums, I can walk around and do other stuff too while coming online on the Forums.

What I'm trying to say is, most of us spend some dedicated time playing Potco, and most of us spend quite some time on the Forums. The danger is when any of us sit down too long and spend too much of dedicated time doing one thing only - whether that's playing Potco (or playing any other game), or being on the Forums, or in a broader sense, doing ANYthing really in life, regardless what - which take away our time doing our real life activities.

With those being said, "a desire to become a pirate" is too far fetch for me personally (and I believe a lot of ppl share the same opinion as mine). I wouldn't mind becoming a pirate like in Potco game ... there was a thread about this: 'What would you do when you woke up on Potco?'. But I would NOT want to be a real pirate like they are portrayed in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Dirty, sweaty, living dangerous adventures, rough, banged up, and so on. I just like the simplified version of it, not the real piracy life like back in the 17 & 18 centuries. Even so, as stated on the other thread, I still would want to be able to come back to my 21-st century life; with internet, cars, Air Conditioning, microwave, toilet paper, and so on. So playing Pirates on Potco will NOT in any way replace my sense of reality in that matter.

Also, spending time quite a lot of time doing something "for the Forums" is actually as real as it can get to me. I'm living a real life actually doing something (in my case, designing signatures, banners or making videos). It requires and sharpens my real life skills and talents. And you'd better believe that every work that we do here could go to our portfolio that we could actually 'sell' in real life. Whether that is writing ability, designing ability, programming ability (for you IT ppl behind the screen who develop this website), communication ability, and so on. We live in an information era; anything positive that you produce online, will count to sell your abilities. So it is NOT a waste of time, or living a virtual life.

Of course other than being behind the computer to do something with this information material, we still need our social life too (meeting ppl face to face with our friends other than in this game or Forums). That's the part that we can balance.

... Just another perspective on how we can view this game ... ;)
yes, some days, I play, Im afk, I play, Im afk, I play ..OPS! runtime error! I play, im afk, I play... :D ;D
(congrats for the longest post here!)

I like to play with my toys savvy... ; )

Clearly this guy isn't a gamer lol, and if he believes this why would he even make a POTCO character? While I can't say I'm "dependant" on a game, I will say I've played POTCO and other games "fanatically." There's been many times I've played a game every day for an extended period of time...weeks, (easy to do when RPG's are my favorite genre). But yet, not to the point where I'm calling in "sick" to work, skipping going to the gym, or out with friends. As you say,
You want become a pirate in real life. It isnt possible, in real life. So lets make virtual life, where is almost everything possible! So, I think this is the reason why we play games - because of possibilities, which arent exists in our real life.
I play POTCO because for the 30 minutes to 6 hours ;) I play, not because, as Jade said, to replace my sense of reality, but rather for me it's a small vacation from reality. I get to pretend I'm a pirate, and step into Jukka's boots for a while, I don't want to be a real pirate either (they get snipered by Navy SEALs).

;)
We have to balance?......darnit

Back