Why I love the new ship AI

If its intended which I doubt it is then its an awful idea and I prefer what the game originally was.

You won't be able to kill ships without taking massive damage unless you have a 3 times upgraded hull which is kind of ridiculous.

It also creates bugs with the broadsides locking onto the target and firing but being very shifted off to the sides (as i've experienced many times) as well as them not locking on and just firing randomly everywhere even when you are directly facing them and not moving your ship at all.
Well, for most of us... we love it, we embrace the challenge and continue to figure out ways to take less damage. POTCO sailing was so simple. I love this so much.. even going to jail more frequently adds the challenge. Thanks TLOPO <3 As for the broadsides, yea they can be a little iffy but that can be fixed without changing AI

Its not a challenge its still just as easy if you do it right the point is it doesnt work. Its not like original pirates, lower level lower tier ships like Maurader can do extensive damage solely because your broadsides don't work like normal when its ramped up that fast. They become inaccurate even when you have aimed right and locked on.

Broadsides aim either too ahead or too behind a ship now, because theyre calibrated for normal gameplay not this modified sped up ships.

If you actually wanted to make the sailing enemies harder then you should have increased their armor, damage, and their pivot speed.

I don't think its a good idea to be changing what the original game was before the actual game is even finished yet.

Both custom changes to the original pirates game that have been made (Having to do Black Pearl before Ravens cove instead of just giving better rewards and incentive to Black Pearl vs putting Ravens Cove on backburner) and (Making Ship AI extremely unrealistic looking, tacky, and hard, but not hard in the right way)

Because by the way, Black Pearl quest is still extremely unrewarding and undesirable to do other then for leadership, but difference is now we are forced to do something thats unappealing vs having it optional for SvS reasons

Something's not right if you're taking significant damage vs a single enemy, you should generally be able to keep yourself in a position where you can hit them while most of their attacks fall into the sea behind you. You are... moving, right?

It is really aggravating when your gunners decide to fire at nothing when there's only one possible target from here to the horizon. It really would help if their current target was highlighted, the firing arcs are pretty hard to judge. Would also be interesting if we could tie off the wheel and run to the cannons while our ship circled in place, but that wouldn't do much to encourage group play.

1. If they re-calibrate the broadsides to work with the new ship enemy speed then I have no problem with this change. You can't speed up enemy ships and then leave broadsides as they were. This makes it so even if your broadsides lock on its off to the side, off to the front, or off behind it instead of directly at it, anyone who has sailed since beta opened back up knows what I'm talking about, even if you aim right (before people start calling me bad at sailing)
And yes even my War Brig and War Frigate with Copperhead hull is taking huge damage from even weak non War Tier sailing enemies.
2. The edit done to the Black Pearl Quest/Ravens Cove quest may force people to do Black Pearl quest first but there was a reason people skipped it and did Ravens Cove and thats because it was undesirable, fleshed out and long. This hasn't solved the problem of the Black Pearl quest it only made it much more apparent since now we actually have to do it.

Well, for most of us... we love it, we embrace the challenge and continue to figure out ways to take less damage. POTCO sailing was so simple. I love this so much.. even going to jail more frequently adds the challenge. Thanks TLOPO <3 As for the broadsides, yea they can be a little iffy but that can be fixed without changing AI

But, what if some of us loved POTCO sailing as it originally was?

most of us... we love it
Most of us like it. Sure, some tweaks could be used but TLOPO has the right to change some stuff up... besides, it's nearly impossible to get it 100% like POTCO AI I'm sure as.... well you have to be pretty exact with that coding. It took me a day or two to adjust but I haven't sunk since.. well except the one time I very stupidly sailed right next to a Corsair... rip

They could try running different tweaks on different servers, and see which ones develop a stable player population. (I mean later in development, once things aren't broken and/or overloaded)

All they have to do is turn their movement speed back to normal and it'd actually be directly identical to the original POTCO AI.
I think they had it set to the original AI, thought it was boring or too easy, and without asking the community sped it up very fast like that.

Which is fine...... IF you fix broadsides so that they work with it, anyone who has sailed right now knows how bad they are for this new speed.

I don't mind things being slightly harder if the broadsides actually work when you aim them correctly. Fix that and this edit is fine. I still hold my position on the Ravens Cove one though.

To all those commenting on the bugs such as no items, please keep in mind that this is a beta, and bugs can take some time to fix. It's only been 3 days since the re-opening, patience is key ;)

Also, you may wish to give yourselves more time to adjust to the new AI before deciding what needs to be changed. It's hard to give an accurate judgement after playing something for only a few days.

And please keep in mind, the purpose of this thread was for someone to say why they liked the AI, not for people to voice their complaints about it! Let's give some respect to the OP, please.
the new ai is super easy i can 1V15 level 30+ ships in a frigate solo. or to speed things up with a crew.
did i mention i take little to no damage unless i crash of course.

I have noticed a remarkable number of players taking on ships by sitting still in the water and trading blows. Not really sure what the thinking is there, but the game might need some sort of training mission that suggests other strategies. It could be called Will Everybody Stop Getting Shot!

Question regarding broadside accuracy: Is this affected by lag? I'm wondering if it always was a little, but the increased movement speed combined with heavy server load is massively amplifying the effect.

Back