Question Why is the game world so quiet chatwise?

Tahoe Wolf

Site Founder
I don't remember the old game ever being this quiet in regards to inactivity in chat. I just found and returned to the game three days ago but I'm kind of wondering what happened? Even on Abassa Tortuga which used to be a madhouse,with chat scrolling so fast it was hard to keep up with. I was there yesterday and the chat was completely dead. I was hoping to crew up with some more advanced players to level my cannons, not only couldn't I find a crew but chat there was completely dead. Abassa Tortuga used to be the place to go when you were looking to join a crew and go plundering I remember the crowds on the beach there in the old days. One thing that I've noticed hasn't changed are the people sending out the blind invites both friend invites and guild invites. I never accept those blind invites unless they are willing to say something introduce themselves, then why should they expect someone to accept a friend or a guild invite from them. Seems like a lot of the ones sending out the blind guild invites are either hiding or they tag you with them as they are running past you. Anyway I've been wondering why the game chat is so inactive? The world was never that quiet in the old game.

For me it use to be a lot more chatty two to three years ago when more people were on Abassa Tortuga chatting up a storm. During those days I had dozens of friends that were online. Unfortunately for me lots of those people don't play anymore. I know that there are soemtimes people who are more chatty than others. I think that was a difficult thing for me to try and "hunt" people to join my guild that I currently only have myself, my boyfriend, and an alt of mine in. Although recently a lot more people have been coming on so there is hope more chatty people are entering online to not be alone, but to chat with others as well.

Most people usually just go to the docks and get on someone's ship or their own and open it to public. Haven't seen many pick crews before going out unless it is a guild or someone doing something special with their friends.

During those days I had dozens of friends that were online. Unfortunately for me lots of those people don't play anymore.
:cry: me too!!
Missed them sooo much!!
Most people usually just go to the docks and get on someone's ship or their own and open it to public. Haven't seen many pick crews before going out unless it is a guild or someone doing something special with their friends.
Anxiously waiting for lobbies, lookout stuffs / waits impatiently

I'm actually trying to devise a way so that people can try and use chat a little bit more by implementing something along the lines of having TLOPO Chat Emojis, similar to the emojis in here.
-
Its obviously not a huge chat power move but it's something that might make our chats in game a little bit more interesting, and maybe even a little more COLORFUL. ;)

Yesterday I did go out on a public ship for a while during a treasure fleet. My low level cannons weren't a lot of help for the level 50 player I was sailing with so I spent a lot of the time repairing for him Still made a pretty decent loot haul from the run. Back in the old days when I first began playing POTCO my first couple weeks in game were a pretty miserable experience for me. POTCO was my first online game and I didn't know any better than to accept all those blind friend invites I was getting. As a result every time I'd launch a ship I'd get a bunch of idiots teleporting to my ship either trying to grab the wheel or shooting at everything around us and usually getting my ship sunk. Nearly all of them were the type who never say anything in chat and I suspect they were probably kids. I ended up dropping that first bunch of players from friends. It was a couple weeks before I began to meet and make friends with other adult players. My first guild experience was similar I was Abassa in Port Royale and some jerk was hiding and spamming me with blind guild invites. I finally accepted just to make it stop. I was in that guild for a couple weeks and never saw anyone in the guild using chat. To this day as a result of those experiences I won't accept those blind friend or guild invites and won't befriend players who don't communicate in chat

During those days I had dozens of friends that were online. Unfortunately for me lots of those people don't play anymore.
Same here I had hundreds of friends back in the old POTCO Days. There was always some friends online in the game.
I think that was a difficult thing for me to try and "hunt" people to join my guild that I currently only have myself, my boyfriend, and an alt of mine in. Although recently a lot more people have been coming on so there is hope more chatty people are entering online to not be alone, but to chat with others as well.
Similar situation for me. I haven't joined a guild yet. I've given thought to creating one. So far its just me, my wife and one other friend in my friends list

My first guild experience was similar I was Abassa in Port Royale and some jerk was hiding and spamming me with blind guild invites. I finally accepted just to make it stop. I was in that guild for a couple weeks and never saw anyone in the guild using chat. To this day as a result of those experiences I won't accept those blind friend or guild invites and won't befriend players who don't communicate in chat
Yeah I kept getting that too, so I joined my friend Misha's guild Land of Lion's because I know his guilds have people who talk. I think I just trust his because the guild we were in together (for at least a year) Red's Army only invited active people. To the point of they would cut members who hadn't been online in two weeks unless they let the guild master know on the discord channel.

If somebody doesn't speak to me about their guild before inviting me I usually say no. I need to be persuaded into why their guild is good.

Red's Army only invited active people. To the point of they would cut members who hadn't been online in two weeks unless they let the guild master know on the discord channel.
Seems like every guild has a core group of people who stay active. I remember at least one member of one of my old guilds was a seasonal player and only played during the summer and went inactive the rest of the year. I still kept them in guild and in my friends list. Sometimes real life gets in the way of playing the game and people go inactive at times and return later. I tried to avoid dropping people unless I was pretty sure they wouldn't be returning. So far I've been mostly on Marineros server and only went to Abassa trying to crew up to level cannon.

I was in Red's (Mama Bug) Finding a good guild can help with the social aspect of the game, I'm in 2 small family guilds with people I have known for years in game (Land of Lions & One Step Closer) I abhor those fly by friend requests, I wouldn't friend a stranger on the street so why here? I do wish people would chat more when looting in groups though, people really don't chat like they used to in game that's for sure!

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll join a guild or create my own. I led a couple of guilds in the old POTCO.

I don't remember the old game ever being this quiet in regards to inactivity in chat. I just found and returned to the game three days ago but I'm kind of wondering what happened? Even on Abassa Tortuga which used to be a madhouse,with chat scrolling so fast it was hard to keep up with. I was there yesterday and the chat was completely dead. I was hoping to crew up with some more advanced players to level my cannons, not only couldn't I find a crew but chat there was completely dead. Abassa Tortuga used to be the place to go when you were looking to join a crew and go plundering I remember the crowds on the beach there in the old days. One thing that I've noticed hasn't changed are the people sending out the blind invites both friend invites and guild invites. I never accept those blind invites unless they are willing to say something introduce themselves, then why should they expect someone to accept a friend or a guild invite from them. Seems like a lot of the ones sending out the blind guild invites are either hiding or they tag you with them as they are running past you. Anyway I've been wondering why the game chat is so inactive? The world was never that quiet in the old game.
I'm afraid to type to anyone tbh. too many filters and i cannot be myself.

I'm afraid to type to anyone tbh. too many filters and i cannot be myself.
I can relate to that the excessive chat filters make it very difficult to communicate in normal conversation.

Not much different from the old Potco game then. well at least we had open chat there eventually even if it was filtered.

Back