Why Ships need a Boot Option

Trust me, there are plenty more that would do the exact same thing. Kicked players NEED to get the loot.
Sorry, not trying to be rude here, but from this context, it sounds as if you are lobbying for your own gains.

Kicking someone for being a burden, only makes them want to be a bigger burden. It IS our ship, and if we decide to abuse that and kick you all off of said ship before docking, that is our prerogative. That is a risk you take every time you board a public ship. However, this does nothing to help us as captains and is much less likely to happen than for a random person to AFK on my deck.

In addition, I think a "Blacklist" system should be added, which prevents listed players from ever joining your ship, public or not, again.

Sounds like a good idea, and glad they are working on it.

The only problem that could be voiced from this would be the ship captain booting everyone before they port. But that's a captain's decision.

Otherwise, great idea mate I 100% agree!

upload_2017-2-25_23-31-37.png

original thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/public-ship-boot-option.16760/

As mention captains can easily abuse the booting system like when a ship gets good cargo and the captain just boots everyone because it might give them better loot or something, it was only in svs probably because of the abusing part, I doubt its possible to give booted players the loot since disney didn't do it but maybe they were just lazy about it

It's quite easily codeable, but the Captain wouldn't get any more loot, and has nothing to gain from kicking players from the ship.
The only thing I think should happen is players that were aboard get the proper notoriety for shooting, sailing, etc.
But if booted, no loot!

As mention captains can easily abuse the booting system like when a ship gets good cargo and the captain just boots everyone because it might give them better loot or something, it was only in svs probably because of the abusing part, I doubt its possible to give booted players the loot since disney didn't do it but maybe they were just lazy about it

If this was implemented, players would need to get the ship loot when kicked. This would be an absolute must if there is to be a ship boot option.

Go ahead and implement it. But I think we should be careful because people could easily abuse the system.
For example you could be docking with loads of cargo then suddenly the captain boots everyone off before porting.
Maybe add a bot or something to monitor boots?

Because without giving them loot captains would just kick everyone before docking

Sounds like a good idea, and glad they are working on it.

The only problem that could be voiced from this would be the ship captain booting everyone before they port. But that's a captain's decision.

Otherwise, great idea mate I 100% agree!

It's quite easily codeable, but the Captain wouldn't get any more loot, and has nothing to gain from kicking players from the ship.
The only thing I think should happen is players that were aboard get the proper notoriety for shooting, sailing, etc.
But if booted, no loot!
If this is implemented into the game I will get on my ship and get a large crew and show you why kicked players need to get loot.

Go ahead and implement it. But I think we should be careful because people could easily abuse the system.
For example you could be docking with loads of cargo then suddenly the captain boots everyone off before porting.
Maybe add a bot or something to monitor boots?
Good point. Luckily, unless the captain is a troll, there is no benefit for them to do that. Hopefully nobody abuses it :(

In Potco before they removed the boot option and kept it only for SVS, captains were booting players before docking except for their friends who were on board. This has been a problem in the past and will be again unless something is implemented to prevent it. If implemented again before a modification to it is made, instructions will need to be given to notify booted players who to contact and with what information they should have when reporting. I totally agree that booting should be allowed in SVS but I remember all the problems this caused before Disney pulled it from regular sailing.

I think the solution is obvious - a votekick system. The captain of the ship (and only the captain) can propose to kick a player off the ship, or walk the plank, to give it a more pirate-y theme. The shipmates vote on it, and the majority vote wins. The captain won't be able to "troll" because as long as the majority of the crew is made up of sensible people, the player won't be booted off unless he is truly being a pest.

This system would still have its flaws - the crew could be made up of like-minded trolls lying in wait for people to board the ship so they could only be kicked off at the last second before docking. This could be partially solved by moderation of the system, though.

Another problem could be that a lazy pirate could wander onto a ship on which there is only the captain, and decide to sit there and do nothing and get loot. Said pirate would not be kicked as long as he votes against the captain, although I suppose he couldn't go AFK because the captain could simply start up another vote afterwards. This brings up another issue - the captain could annoy the crew by constantly proposing to kick players, to which I would suggest there be a "cooldown" for the captain's use of the system.

By making shipmates vote on whether or not someone is kicked, it keeps the captain from running free with kicking people while still ensuring a potential consequence for those who wish to troll or to just go AFK for the loot.

err walk the plank idea :D if a staff member chooses do this PLEASE DO MY WALK THE PLANK IDEA (it is somewhere above here)
I think the solution is obvious - a votekick system. The captain of the ship (and only the captain) can propose to kick a player off the ship, or walk the plank, to give it a more pirate-y theme. The shipmates vote on it, and the majority vote wins. The captain won't be able to "troll" because as long as the majority of the crew is made up of sensible people, the player won't be booted off unless he is truly being a pest.

This system would still have its flaws - the crew could be made up of like-minded trolls lying in wait for people to board the ship so they could only be kicked off at the last second before docking. This could be partially solved by moderation of the system, though.

Another problem could be that a lazy pirate could wander onto a ship on which there is only the captain, and decide to sit there and do nothing and get loot. Said pirate would not be kicked as long as he votes against the captain, although I suppose he couldn't go AFK because the captain could simply start up another vote afterwards. This brings up another issue - the captain could annoy the crew by constantly proposing to kick players, to which I would suggest there be a "cooldown" for the captain's use of the system.

By making shipmates vote on whether or not someone is kicked, it keeps the captain from running free with kicking people while still ensuring a potential consequence for those who wish to troll or to just go AFK for the loot.

The person being votekicked shouldn't have a vote

I'd like to add that you should of just gathered a crew and blocked public access so if someone in the crew is bothering you then you can just port and kick them off of the crew so they can't join you again, you also chose to make your ship public so you should be aware of problems with random players also its a pirate game so pirates are suppose to act that way

I'm not one to kick AFKs on my ship. Honestly, I can do just fine without ANY gunners. It just speeds things up when you do have gunners. Wanna sit on my ship and do nothing for loot? I don't care, go ahead. But I understand that other people do want everyone on their ship doing something, either repairing or gunning. That being said we need to implement a votekick system that won't work with bad intentions, aka trolls.

Seems like the way i remember it you would only receive the portion of loot that was gained from the time you stepped aboard and you had to be at a station (repairing or cannon) to get what dropped after you were aboard in the original game.

In looking at the pros and cons of being able to boot someone off your ship - as much as I thought I liked the idea - I'd vote against it.

It might be fun to see a scrub getting blasted from a cannon off of your ship or walking the plank, but there will sadly always be folks who would abuse this by kicking random folks off just because they could.

If you have a full crew make sure the ship is set to only allow crew onboard, so that if someone crashes or has to port off for ammo their spot is still there.

If you have your ship on Public you should expect that anything can happen. Trust me, I've seen it all. :eek:

Back