Votes: 113 33.3%
  • Don't Care.

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 198 58.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't work that way. These items are rewarded to individuals with "x" infamy and are reflective of your current or past infamy level. The people who grind and "slog" through hours of PvP and SvS might not appreciate that.
They have the rank icon to show that they PvP or SvS. The cosmetics are just extra.

Are your posts contradictory to each other or am I not understanding your overall point? If so, can you rephrase this part:
They're not contradictory. I'm saying you need a PvP requirement to buy it from the NPC vendor, but to buy it from another player you do not need a PvP requirement. However, to equip it - no matter how you obtained it - you need a certain sword level.

They're not contradictory. I'm saying you need a PvP requirement to buy it from the NPC vendor, but to buy it from another player you do not need a PvP requirement. However, to equip it - no matter how you obtained it - you need a certain sword level.
Wait, are we talking about cosmetics or swords here? I thought PvP only unlocked cosmetics?

Wait, are we talking about cosmetics or swords here? I thought PvP only unlocked cosmetics?
I honestly don't know what PvP unlocks. This is mostly for example purposes though, as he was using legendary swords as his example at the start of this conversation.

Or we could give people the choice to either grind for something or buy it. Just because a game has trading doesn't mean people have to use it. There has to be someone willing to sell an item and someone willing to buy it.

(edit as follows): On the note of RNG; I played Destiny 1 for two and a half years. Destiny is an RNG based looting game. I did not get over half the high-end weapons and armor because I had really bad RNG. That's ultimately why I quit, I was tired of doing the top-tier end-game content every week on two characters (you're limited, or at least were, to one raid a week per character) and not being rewarded for it because of my bad RNG luck. Had there been trading in that game I would have played it more and enjoyed it more. Are you saying that because I was unlucky on some RNG system that I didn't deserve to get those items, not being able to progress, and to not enjoy the game because of that?

What it honestly sounds like is that you and the people you have talked to have some very rare items, and don't want other people to have the option to buy them, because you think that would make them less rare, and not as cool to say "I have X item". I hope that isn't the case, but it usually is games like this when the option for trading is ever talked about.

Like I said, just because trading is in a game, does not mean you *HAVE* to use it. It's not like in RuneScape where all you have to do is buy X amount of an item off of the Grand Exchange, which has a infinite number of every purchasable item so it just spawns in a new instance of the item. In this, and a lot of other games, the seller would have to have the item in their inventory and the buyer would have to have the asking price/item of the seller. It wouldn't change the rarity of the item because the seller would already have the item, they are just selling it, so the item is trading hands, not duplicating the item.

(I wish I put this much effort into my essays as I did into this :p.)

Last edited:
Yes but in this case, these items are cosmetics like clothing and tattoos. You don't need a level to equip them - but one to buy them.

Since you're familiar with MMOs - I'm assuming you're aware that a few of them have tiered gear/PvP-exclusive items. This is the current case with TLOPO and I hope that it remains that way. More and more interesting items can be added to the PvP vendors and this will motivate more people to participate in the activities to earn these items.

I'm not saying the sole reason people play PvP and SvS is to earn these items - but having exclusive items to those with a high infamy is an important part of PvP/SvS activities that shouldn't be altered.

1- If certain infamy levels were required to equip these items, trading them would be pointless. It's similar to trading vendor items you know you can't equip until you reach a certain level. However, this is the way I'd like it to be implemented.

2- If infamy levels were not required to equip them, the people who worked for the items might be slightly annoyed that others effortlessly got them and less people would be incentivized to level up PvP/SvS and would depend on trading to gain said items.

Anyways, that's my opinion regarding this matter. Allow trading of SvS and PvP items but with level requirements similar to those of weapons.

2- If infamy levels were not required to equip them, the people who worked for the items might be slightly annoyed that others effortlessly got them and less people would be incentivized to level up PvP/SvS and would depend on trading to gain said items.
If people enjoy SvS and PvP and want to play them, they still have just as much incentive.
If people don't enjoy SvS and PvP but were just playing to get the items, they don't have to do something they don't like in order to get those items.

If people enjoy SvS and PvP and want to play them, they still have just as much incentive.
If people don't enjoy SvS and PvP but were just playing to get the items, they don't have to do something they don't like in order to get those items.
In every MMO there are items you can't own without leveling or achieving certain criteria. Some people don't enjoy using certain weapons - should they be able to use famed and legendary items even if they don't work towards leveling them up cause they "don't like" to? There's a simple answer: No.

Not everyone has to explore every corner of the game universe and participate in every activity if they don't feel like it - this means they might miss out on a few things that the game has to offer and that's alright.

In every MMO there are items you can't own without leveling or achieving certain criteria. Some people don't enjoy using certain weapons - should they be able to use famed and legendary items even if they don't work towards leveling them up cause they "don't like" to? There's a simple answer: No.

Not everyone has to explore every corner of the game universe and participate in every activity if they don't feel like it - this means they might miss out on a few things that the game has to offer and that's alright.

Are you trying to say "if they aren't lucky enough to get X item, they don't deserve to have it" or "if they don't have Lv. X with Y weapon, they don't deserve to get Y weapon" If it's the latter, there already are level restrictions on items. I have swords I can't use because I don't have the level for it yet. If that's what you're trying to say, that's been in POTCO since Day 1, no need to bring it up, at all.

Are you trying to say "if they aren't lucky enough to get X item, they don't deserve to have it" or "if they don't have Lv. X with Y weapon, they don't deserve to get Y weapon" If it's the latter, there already are level restrictions on items. I have swords I can't use because I don't have the level for it yet. If that's what you're trying to say, that's been in POTCO since Day 1, no need to bring it up, at all.
My post isn't aimed at trading in general. Just trading PvP and SvS items.

99% of MMO's have trading because it increases player intereaction and helps you get the things you need faster.

There is a supply and demand for famed and legendaries. Just because the demand increases for them due to trading will not make them less rare or raise the Supply because they are still very low rate.

Main Benefits of trading:
  • If you loot a very very very rare item or clothes on your main and you go to make a new pirate you can transfer your stuff over which is very fun and cool
  • A item you have been trying to loot for a very long time that has been evading you can finally be within your reach at a heavy cost (coins or whatever people ask for in exchange)
  • Helps endgame pirates sell off famed or legendary duplicates they don't want to further strengthen their ship and allows pirates to get more gold then before from the market and economy. Which in itself is very satisfying to do.
  • Greatly improves the value of farming. The desire to loot legendary and famed and dark blacks and etc will be increased because there would be a large coin profit to make from them, and would really make pirates feel like the item is worth more since they can get so many coins for it.
  • Aids pirates trying to make a low Notoriety high sword level / high dagger level jumper/PVP toon (As we've previously seen, example: level 15's with mastered sword.) So essentially provides more variety in PVP.
  • Depending on what else is trade-able opens a huge gateway to getting other things like ship materials if you are not very good at sea combat and prefer to farm coins on land.
Main disadvantages:
  • People can obtain extremely rare weapons other then directly grinding for it in its specific locations. (Which people will still do to get to sell them for say 200k coins etc)
  • Pirates who obtained them the old fashioned way will be bitter that people can buy them with coins.

That's true but even world of Warcraft had a soul bound system and that made the high end raid tier items untradeable. I figure you could make the legendary items in this game untradeable but everything else is fair game. I mean I don't see why famed items and below should be restricted but I do understand why the top rank gear would be untradeable.

Also remember that games that have tradable currency end up with huge botting and gold farming operations. Pirates online is small enough that it doesn't have to worry about that but games like runescpae and WoW have huge gold farming companies that ruin the experience for everyone else

Last edited:
That's true but even world of Warcraft had a soul bound system and that made the high end raid tier items untradeable. I figure you could make the legendary items in this game untradeable but everything else is fair game. I mean I don't see why famed items and below should be restricted but I do understand why the top rank gear would be untradeable.

Also remember that games that have tradable currency end up with huge botting and gold farming operations. Pirates online is small enough that it doesn't have to worry about that but games like runescpae and WoW have huge gold farming companies that ruin the experience for everyone else
I think binding legendaries to a pirate would be a good idea, in my opinion.
Reasoning, Pros:
1. Legendaries are pretty much equal to end-game weapons in other games...
2. They sell for a pretty penny at the shops, unless they're cursed...
3. It would be unwise to flood the game with legendaries- it's just not as fun to find them!
4. The feeling you get when you see red letters in your loot container....

Cons:
1. You'd have to sell duplicates to a vendor, and wouldn't be able to give them (or sell them) to a friend.
2. Some famed are just as powerful as the Lost Sword, (high tier cursed blades are pretty strong...)

That's just my idea.
Im in the middle with trading, but I'm thinking a test of it would be nice.

Trading could never be a bad idea as i have grudgingly sold countless rare low level items that i could have given to friends or random newcomers. I understand people want to the "the one" with x item but maybe there could be a compromise that items beyond a certain lvl can't be traded or something or of a certain rarity perhaps. the trade feature would be handy for borrowing money as well. I'd also like to see a bank or storage of some sort so i don't need to lug around everything i want to keep.

And I've 'had' rares and famed that I had to get rid of because we have no real loot size nor a separate place to stash them. So, I could of gained some gold or another piece I desired from another pirate and they in turn would have gained a piece they may have desired. It really doesn't matter why you need or want. So with no trade, I got low base gold value.
A form of barter in game may not be such a bad idea.

Trading just Crude Common and Rare items would defeat the purpose. Famed items would obviously not be parted with for cheap so it makes sense to be able to trade them. Low level pirates wont have 200k gold unless they got it from their main pirate over the span of a long time, so it makes sense that if people sell famed for 150k say for example depending on the famed then it wouldn't help people get them too fast.

However we will need a higher gold cap as well as a tab in chat dedicated to trade that everyone in the caribbean can see so that a market can develop (unless people plan to make abassa Tortuga the market area)

Obviously gold will be able to be traded, if thats the case then of course people will sell weapons for gold to other players.
If not gold tradeable then its still not unfair for famed to be included.
Also if you get a duplicate famed you could get a non duplicate for it from someone else so all and all it doesn't take away from the game very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back