Guide Wily's Loop of Death - A Sailor's Guide To Mat Running Without a Party

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
Have you ever wanted to do a peaceful mat run away from the madness that pervades the waves of Abassa? I'll teach you how to do it. In this guide, I'll be describing, as well as illustrating, a maneuver that I developed which will help you and your crew dish out maximum damage to hunters & warships while taking none. The Loop of Death works with a crew, and even with going solo. *Only works on hunters & warships*

*Update* I have noticed that hunters seem to break away from the loop now. It appears to be due to a tweak in either their speed or turning radius. I'm using the same ship and build that I used when making this guide, so that is not a factor. Hunters will not mirror my turning speed, resulting in me out running them, becoming perpendicular, and their AI shifting. I'll need to test further to find a way around this.

To do this efficiently, you'll need two things:
1. Sharp turning
2. Powerful broadsides (if solo)

I would strongly recommend throwing some points into the tacking skill. You will need it. Here's my sailing build. Use it as a point of reference and customize to your liking.
screenshot_2017-08-15_02-34-10.jpg

What is the Loop of Death?
The basic idea behind this maneuver is to keep your ship in a continuous position of having ideal firing angles for both your crew and broadsides. Here's a brief description before you get to the illustration: Enemy ships are stupid. You can take advantage of that by forcing their bows to 'stick' to your side, while your ship will be at a slightly more acute angle relative to them. As a result, all of the enemy ship's shots will miss, but you and your crew will have the easiest opportunity to pummel it with everything you've got. Seriously, it'll be such an easy shot, even those level 6 people who scream "PoRt pOrt p0rT" will be able to hit the target.

LoopTrapIllustration.png

Initiating the Loop:
Firstly, in order for this to work, both you and the enemy ship must be turning in the same direction. You may be thinking, "Oh, but that's a 50/50 deal. What if they don't cooperate?" I'll teach you how to get around that as well. The trick is to wait and let them come to you from behind. Let them make the first move, then copy it. While waiting for the next spawn, stop your ship, then position your stern to be facing one of the islands where they come from. When the approaching hunter gets close, it'll begin to turn. Pay close attention. As soon as you notice, you want to open your sails and mimic the movement. After that, it's as easy as holding down the A or D key.

screenshot_2017-08-15_02-11-39.jpg

screenshot_2017-08-15_02-15-35.jpg

Being tangled in the jaws of a copperhead war brig is a nasty thing. This scorned siren went down with one broadside. It may be different for you, but that's the cool thing. You can keep going in the loop until your broadsides are off cooldown and do it again, and again, until the target finally sinks.

When warships appear, the procedure isn't much different. Here's another picture though to clear up any possible issues you might encounter:
screenshot_2017-08-15_02-16-50.jpg

When I was working on getting these screenshots, I actually did mess up and turned too much. The Battle-Royale ending up shifting and I took a full explosive broadside...Should've hired a stuntman...

Do keep in mind that this probably will not work in crowded areas. Other sailors will likely not know what you're doing, and get in the way. Some catch on to the plan, but most don't.

Later on I would love to make a guide on fleet tactics - with more than one player. Sadly the conditions required to practice and develop techniques for that sort of thing are so rare. If any of you readers want to take a shot at it, let me know. Or, just keep an eye out for me on the sea. My two main ships are:
1. Shadow Queen - skull&bones war frigate
2. Iron Mariner - copperhead war brig

Anyhow, I hope the Loop of Death proves to be useful while on your non-party mat runs. Good luck, and thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Awesome guide! That's the ideal placement, some use the world's end or islands to same effect but every pirate should be doing this anywhere. The skill points allocation, type of ship and upgrade plays into it as well. I hope you continue this guide, just few hints, there are a few more strategies for both single and dealing with multiple hunters, also, regular ships and multiple pirate ship involved.
Keep up the Good Work!

I am genuinely mad at you because I've been recording stuff for the purpose of posting this exact guide.

Including the same MS-Paint esque image you put in and everything.

Are you my long lost twin?

Hah! I knew we thought similarly, but that is something else.

I've been wanting to do this for a while as well. What finally made me decide to do it was discovering the initiating technique. I had relied on chance before. So after that final piece of the puzzle it was guide time!

Last edited:
Hah! I knew we thought similarly, but that is something else. I've been wanting to do it for a while as well. What finally made me decide to do it is discovering the initiating technique. I had relied on chance before. So after that final piece of the puzzle it was guide time!
You don't need to stop. When they're chasing you from perfectly behind you can still see them turn slightly towards the direction they prefer.

Also if they spawn in on your right and come in from that angle, they usually prefer the left.

You don't need to stop. When they're chasing you from perfectly behind you can still see them turn slightly towards the direction they prefer.

Also if they spawn in on your right and come in from that angle, they usually prefer the left.

That's actually something I did notice. If you position yourself at about a 45, and they come in, they'll almost always turn in the direction you're facing.

I guess if you're going to take the not stopping approach, you should 'wiggle' your ship to keep the speed down. The hunter will get close and give hints as to where it wants to turn.

I'll probably update that section later after some testing. It's reliable and simple right now.

That's actually something I did notice. If you position yourself at about a 45, and they come in, they'll almost always turn in the direction you're facing.

I guess if you're going to take the not stopping approach, you should 'wiggle' your ship to keep the speed down. The hunter will get close and give hints as to where it wants to turn.

I'll probably update that section later after some testing. It's reliable and simple right now.
You don't even need to slow down! It works on a max speed war sloop, since hunters accelerate their MACH 10 XCRB-7000 JET ENGINES when they get too far away from you.

You don't even need to slow down! It works on a max speed war sloop, since hunters accelerate their MACH 10 XCRB-7000 JET ENGINES when they get too far away from you.

Fair point. However, I'm predicting some inconsistencies at that high of a speed. Skipping, glitching, and the like. This is why we test things, lol. And that, I'm going to be working on soon.

Fair point. However, I'm predicting some inconsistencies at that high of a speed. Skipping, glitching, and the like. This is why we test things, lol. And that, I'm going to be working on soon.
Nah, it's very reliable in telling which side they're going to be on. However you do have to slow down to engage them, of course, otherwise everything you said happens.

Looks like a dev may have read my guide and engaged the nerf gun. I've updated the original message to inform readers that it may not work as intended at the moment. @Sky Kiwi if you'd like to help me develop a workaround, let me know.

Back