Winter weapons

Darkslinger

Notorious Pirate
Winter_weapons.png

Credits: @POTCOSlenderMan for coming up with the idea for the blunderbuss weapon.

Beautiful! I love the addition of the specialty grenade set! I've been wanting to see something like that for a while.
Personally I think the dmg on the sword and blunderbuss should be nerfed a little, as some legendary weapons are weaker, yet rarer.

Beautiful! I love the addition of the specialty grenade set! I've been wanting to see something like that for a while.
Personally I think the dmg on the sword and blunderbuss should be nerfed a little, as some legendary weapons are weaker, yet rarer.

Thanks! I never intended for these weapons to be giveaway/code weapons but ones that are available through looting during winter. They'd be extremely rare. I think that they're not that overpowered when compared to the other famed cursed weapons available upon completing RC.

There could be weaker weapons distributed through giveaways and lootable ones with higher chances of dropping.

If you're interested in new grenades, check out these ones that I made a while back!

threegrenades-png.94088

Last edited:
Thanks! I never intended for these weapons to be giveaway/code weapons but ones that are available through looting during winter. They'd be extremely rare.

As a PvE player, this sounds great.

But we have to remember to think of all the PvP'ers out there. Limited edition weapons have to be underpowered (or banned in PvP, but that will still upset people) or you will cause some serious backlash among the PvP playerbase.

As a PvE player, this sounds great.

But we have to remember to think of all the PvP'ers out there. Limited edition weapons have to be underpowered (or banned in PvP, but that will still upset people) or you will cause some serious backlash among the PvP playerbase.
I don't think any backlash would take place. Generally, people are always excited for new weapons and will use them whenever they can.

The only extremely overpowered weapon out of all the three is the blunderbuss, which as far as I know isn't generally used in PvP matches. The Frostedge Broadsword is comparable to famed cursed broadswords like the Sharkfang Blade - and is weaker than the majority of the cursed items. Once cursed weapons are in circulation, this weapon would fit right in.

If anything, these weapons would introduce new strategies to PvP (especially grouped PvP) as opposed to the mindless running around and hopping currently taking place. Players can have roles amongst themselves and use weapons like the Hailstorm grenades to slow down their opponents while their other teammates attack them.

Also the level requirements make sure that upon the rare occasion that a weapon is looted, it lands in the right (high-leveled) hands. So personally, I don't think it's going to mess with PvP at all.

If anything, these weapons would introduce new strategies to PvP
I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you say, the problem is you're focusing on these items as if they're just regular available items.

You just said these weapons would introduce new strategies to PvP. Great! That sounds amazing!

Except for all those people who weren't able to play during the holidays, or that tried to loot them but got unlucky. I love the idea of holiday weapons, I love the idea of these kinds of weapons, but you can't make seasonal items that are also game-changers. Whether they're game-changers because they change the meta or because they're just so powerful that everything else can't compete - it doesn't matter why they changed the game, it just matters that they did - and that people who missed out on them are just out of luck.

The point is, if seasonal items are actually competitive with regular items, you have a problem. The way it should be is that they're very fun to use, but not actually great weapons (other weapons of the same level should be more effective, even if they're less fun).

Coincidentally these are the same principles that should apply to cash shop weapons (not that this matters in TLOPO since there's no cash shop).

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you say, the problem is you're focusing on these items as if they're just regular available items.

You just said these weapons would introduce new strategies to PvP. Great! That sounds amazing!

Except for all those people who weren't able to play during the holidays, or that tried to loot them but got unlucky. I love the idea of holiday weapons, I love the idea of these kinds of weapons, but you can't make seasonal items that are also game-changers. Whether they're game-changers because they change the meta or because they're just so powerful that everything else can't compete - it doesn't matter why they changed the game, it just matters that they did - and that people who missed out on them are just out of luck.

You make a valid point regarding people missing out - but the sheer power of these weapons does not allow giving them away or making them easier to find. We don't want a Heart of Padres Del Fuego situation all over again. The weapons will be available through loot in a long window opening from late December to late March. People will have about four months to loot three weapons, which I think is more than enough considering that it's also a yearly event.

In the future, there will be no shortage of weapons in the Caribbean. More weapons are going to be introduced whether they're event-exclusive, holiday weapons, or storyline weapons. They'll definitely be stronger than the previous ones to 'upscale' to the higher level enemies. So, the slightly OP weapons are going to be the norm soon enough.

The weapons aren't really 'game-changers' per-se, a lot of pre-existing weapons can be used strategically. The winter weapons would only join that long list. But to make everybody happy, the winter weapons can be added way later. Cursed weapons, and future weapons with special skills would be out by then.

You make a valid point regarding people missing out - but the sheer power of these weapons does not allow giving them away or making them easier to find. We don't want a Heart of Padres Del Fuego situation all over again. The weapons will be available through loot in a long window opening from late December to late March. People will have about four months to loot three weapons, which I think is more than enough considering that it's also a yearly event.

In the future, there will be no shortage of weapons in the Caribbean. More weapons are going to be introduced whether they're event-exclusive, holiday weapons, or storyline weapons. They'll definitely be stronger than the previous ones to 'upscale' to the higher level enemies. So, the slightly OP weapons are going to be the norm soon enough.

The weapons aren't really 'game-changers' per-se, a lot of pre-existing weapons can be used strategically. The winter weapons would only join that long list. But to make everybody happy, the winter weapons can be added way later. Cursed weapons, and future weapons with special skills would be out by then.
It is a large window, yeah, but also consider people that aren't playing TLOPO yet, that join after that window closes. You can grind your sword up to 30 in a week or two if you're dedicated, but they would still have to wait months to get this weapon other people have. It doesn't matter how long the windows of opportunity are open, really, if they're closed for a long time too.

And yeah if cursed weapons put these winter weapons in the category of "not competitive", then it's fine. But I'm not sure they will is all.

Back