Would you want a Ship of the line as a possible player ship?

Would you want a ship of the line as a player ship?

• Total voters

JOSHU4

Sea Legs
So as the title states would you want a ship of the line as a possible player ship, which can be upgraded just like any other ship?

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I doubt Ship Of The Line has designs for each hull (though I could be wrong), so that would mean the TLOPO devs would have to make them. That probably wouldn't happen.

Even if they did get released, I would say they must be banned from SvS. The balance of different ship types keeps things interesting, and it already costs so much time and effort to get a fully upgraded War ship. An SOTL would be horrible.

Plus, even though they would be locked to PvE only, I would say they should be massively expensive and hard to get. Not 200k expensive, more like a million expensive. Notoriety 50, max sailing (and cannon), and a superbly hard quest all required to unlock it. These things should be rare. I do not want to see every ship on the ocean being the same thing.

The gold cap would have to be raised, or you could have a quest that starts with five separate stages of paying a full 200k before you earn the "right" to do the rest of the quest.

There have been numerous threads about this... Sorry to shoot down the idea, but usually the consensus is it'd be too gamebreaking in multiple aspects (mat runs, SvS) that wouldn't make much sense to implement for player usage.

Cool ship though.
The other problem was it was buggy. Players could purchase the SOTL for one day in the test servers of POTCO (and those who bought it at a full 200k got to keep it permanently). The collider model wasn't meshed out properly, players could glitch all over it, it just had problems. TLOPO devs have more pressing concerns than fixing up a ship that was never released in POTCO.

I know it could work. I remember sailing it in potco's test server i really don't see a problem with it at all. I mean if you had any real time with the ship you would see it can work 100% If anything were to be changed just reduce the turn speed and the max speed for the ship little below the War Galleon. Would be a great addition to the game 10/10

The other problem was it was buggy. Players could purchase the SOTL for one day in the test servers of POTCO (and those who bought it at a full 200k got to keep it permanently). The collider model wasn't meshed out properly, players could glitch all over it, it just had problems. TLOPO devs have more pressing concerns than fixing up a ship that was never released in POTCO.
I don't remember that ever being a problem.

As I've said in previous threads, this would be terrible if implemented. It would essentially destroy SvS, as people would only use the SOTL for it. It would make the ship almost unstoppable when fighting NPC's, because we all know how long it takes for us to sink one SOTL when they're after us. I've always been in favor of a Razee, which is a fourth or third rate ship of the line with the upper docks cut off, so as to reduce the size of it and get rid of the cannons on the upper deck. (Fourth and third rates became obsolete with more and more second and first rates appearing). In doing this, it allowed the ship to still remain in service, as a frigate-type ship, while still retaining the guns on the lower deck and some of the hull integrity of a SOTL.
upload_2017-7-11_14-24-9.jpeg

Look, as cool as may seem to have a planet sized ship in your hands, that kinda ruins the experience of being a pirate. Now, if they were to add a story quest mission, similar to sailing the Black Pearl, but instead with a SotL, that I'm all for.

As I've said in previous threads, this would be terrible if implemented. It would essentially destroy SvS, as people would only use the SOTL for it. It would make the ship almost unstoppable when fighting NPC's, because we all know how long it takes for us to sink one SOTL when they're after us. I've always been in favor of a Razee, which is a fourth or third rate ship of the line with the upper docks cut off, so as to reduce the size of it and get rid of the cannons on the upper deck. (Fourth and third rates became obsolete with more and more second and first rates appearing). In doing this, it allowed the ship to still remain in service, as a frigate-type ship, while still retaining the guns on the lower deck and some of the hull integrity of a SOTL.
View attachment 87017
It wouldn't destroy svs. It would be a veryyyy slow ship and i don't see it being used unless you are doing mat runs or loot runs

It would make the ship almost unstoppable when fighting NPC's, because we all know how long it takes for us to sink one SOTL when they're after us.

This isn't really a relevant point though. Hunter and Warships have boosted health/armour/resistance/whatever. En Garde takes more hits than a player Frigate. The same could be done for a player SOTL vs a warship SOTL.

It would be cool, but not for average game play of any kind. I think it would be better if it you could only use it at certain times for certain things.

Ship of the line is so generic if a stronger ship would be released it could be a 4th-rate ship of the line which is the least powerful ship of the line historically mentioning, the ship of the line strength would be the broadsides and the health, being a real pain to turn around.

Ship of the Line is garbage. Basically a War Galleon with extra deck guns, more cargo space, a ton more armor, and a lot of ship to hit. Having sailed on one in SVS, it was not particularly great at all.

Ship of the Line is garbage. Basically a War Galleon with extra deck guns, more cargo space, a ton more armor, and a lot of ship to hit. Having sailed on one in SVS, it was not particularly great at all.

So "basically a War Galleon but almost everything improved"? All but size and speed lol

Back