Would you want a Ship of the line as a possible player ship?

Would you want a ship of the line as a player ship?

• Total voters
And honestly, if we're going to have bigger, better ships, then we need our enemies to have bigger, better ships as well. Sailing is easy as is, adding in SotL would just make it boring.

Here’s some pics from potco test of one. it was only out for two days and cost 200k
But we did have some fun with it.
If there’s anybody else out there that played on test give a shout and share some pics.
1BDD97C8-5558-43F7-83BB-7FC1CCF08317.jpeg

The other problem was it was buggy. Players could purchase the SOTL for one day in the test servers of POTCO (and those who bought it at a full 200k got to keep it permanently). The collider model wasn't meshed out properly, players could glitch all over it, it just had problems. TLOPO devs have more pressing concerns than fixing up a ship that was never released in POTCO.

The other problem was it was buggy. Players could purchase the SOTL for one day in the test servers of POTCO (and those who bought it at a full 200k got to keep it permanently). The collider model wasn't meshed out properly, players could glitch all over it, it just had problems. TLOPO devs have more pressing concerns than fixing up a ship that was never released in POTCO.
I remember them heres a pic
I remember them here is a pic
good to see someone else that played on test
3D124F0B-2CC0-40D6-937D-4C816D74B4E1.jpeg

If the sotl was to be put in the game you wouldn't be able to upgrade it I'm fine with it being used for public use but upgradeing it seems a bit much it already has 20k hit points and plus if used for svs it's not op sure it's big but a war brig or frigate can bring it down I see so many people say it's op it's really not I just don't see how it's op the most op ship I've seen is the war brig and frigate the war brig and frigate upgraded with crew can easily bring down an sotl I would say the war galleon needs a rival ship for mat runs the war galleon is horrible for svs for it's size same as the sotl the sotl would rival the galleon classes for mat runs I know that it's size would be for taking hits and dealing damage but the speed should be 7 and the turn ratio should be 3 for the sotl because it's not designed for speed or mobility but for cargo/ armor I know some people are gonna say what's the point of having it if you can upgrade it well simple for helping friends get mats and getting gold plus I think the sotl should be designed for a crew with it's reduced turn ratio and speed it should rely on having a crew than like having a war brig and dominating the battlefield with it's speed and mobility also I know people are gonna say be real pirates didn't have solt but be real they didn't have voodoo staffs or dolls either but this is a fantasy game so I say bring on the sotl we need new ships plus it give me something to grind for and I'm sure other people will to keeps the game fresh

Last edited:
No, it would be too game breaking. Not to mention, it would be a lot of work to create the new designs for its upgrades. Also, I don't recall anyone from the POTC universe (specifically pirates) owning a SOTL. I could be wrong though.

Let's just have a SOTL Fishing boat with 2 decks- the top deck for fishing and the lower deck for fishing. It'll be like a guild fishing boat.
For pirates, the Dutchman and the Black Pearl were both "ships of the line."
Actually, the movie called the Pearl a galleon, and the team behind the scenes called the Dutchman a galleon as well. Granted the term "Ships of the Line" is based on guns and size, along with a rating system. Some large frigates were considered ships of the line...

Let's just have a SOTL Fishing boat with 2 decks- the top deck for fishing and the lower deck for fishing. It'll be like a guild fishing boat.

Actually, the movie called the Pearl a galleon, and the team behind the scenes called the Dutchman a galleon as well. Granted the term "Ships of the Line" is based on guns and size, along with a rating system. Some large frigates were considered ships of the line...
Yeah, ships of the line weren't really a kind of ships.

Yeah, ships of the line weren't really a kind of ships.
Correct, they were a classification of 6th-1st rate vessels, based on the Royal Navy rating system. 1st raters being the 100+ guns (<- H.M.S Victory of 106 guns and the Señora de la Santísima Trinidad, often refered to as the Santísima Trinidad of 120 guns.) to the 6th raters being 36-44 guns (<-heavy frigates like the U.S.S. Constitution, not Royal Navy, but a great example.)

Correct, they were a classification of 6th-1st rate vessels, based on the Royal Navy rating system. 1st raters being the 100+ guns (<- H.M.S Victory of 106 guns and the Señora de la Santísima Trinidad, often refered to as the Santísima Trinidad of 120 guns.) to the 6th raters being 36-44 guns (<-heavy frigates like the U.S.S. Constitution, not Royal Navy, but a great example.)
Huh. TIL

That being said, there are no reports in human history of a 3rd, 2nd, or 1st rate being captured by pirates, as the crews typically scuttled them. And there were certainly no Fishing Ships of the Line.

Side note, Ships of the Line were called that because of the Line Ahead tactics used in that era, and were still in use at the Battle of Jutland, 1916... but it was not quite as effective.

Yeah they're called Ship Of The Line because they were built for the "Line of Battle" tactic. Here's a wiki quote:

A ship of the line was a type of naval warship constructed from the 17th through to the mid-19th century to take part in the naval tactic known as the line of battle, in which two columns of opposing warships would manoeuvre to bring the greatest weight of broadsidefirepower to bear. Since these engagements were almost invariably won by the heaviest ships carrying the most powerful guns, the natural progression was to build sailing vessels that were the largest and most powerful of their time.

Edit: @Captain Bren You posted that while I was typing, dang it. Haha. You win.

Back