Would you want a Ship of the line as a possible player ship?

Would you want a ship of the line as a player ship?

• Total voters
max gold is very easy to get if you just loot at bosses on tormenta. doesn't take long to get at all.

tlopo has half that many registered players but yeah, we definitely need more sailing content but i think we could do with some better content rather than the devs just implementing an npc ship for us to own. I still think that the SOTL should be restricted to the navy, EITC and devs to keep it interesting as if its added to the game as a personal ship, everyone would be using it.

The ship is very large and ugly, but if it were to be implemented it would be much better if it was added as a sort of guild ship that a guild could build up and upgrade over time by pooling resources. Would be a lot more interesting and fun. This has been suggested by a few different people including Lord Gold Air above.

As for the lack of sailing content, there's still a new ship type on the way that has been shown many times, the Carrack. And figureheads are in early development as well
Oh really word I'm down for a carrack I just want new sailing content cause that's all I ever do

Makes sense but all i think if it was put out so everyone could buy one it make it more user friend not everyone wants to join a guild some people like me just wanna have fun with friends I see you point
Don't get me wrong - having SOTL would be pretty cool individually and would be fun to mess around with - but my worry is about keeping the game interest alive, and keeping the game balanced and keeping it challenging so that people do still find that hint of interest. I'm almost positive that if the Navy Fleet lined up some of their best ships - and on the other side of the ocean saw 1000+ Pirate Owned SOTL ships - they would purposefully light off all of their explosive rounds on board, sinking themselves - just to avoid having to deal with that.
So you mean like the top 3 major guilds like having 300 plus members
I wouldn't say that the top 3 major guilds would be the only guilds to have these ships, but certainly guilds that conjure up a ton of effort and manage to keep up their guild activity would be able to use this feature if it were to ever come out. It also somewhat gives some incentive for active players who are in "small" or "dead" guilds - to expand outward and find an active guild with more people if they so choose. Game can get somewhat boring if you're the only one online in a guild for a month at a time I would presume you know?

Don't get me wrong - having SOTL would be pretty cool individually and would be fun to mess around with - but my worry is about keeping the game interest alive, and keeping the game balanced and keeping it challenging so that people do still find that hint of interest. I'm almost positive that if the Navy Fleet lined up some of their best ships - and on the other side of the ocean saw 1000+ Pirate Owned SOTL ships - they would purposefully light off all of their explosive rounds on board, sinking themselves - just to avoid having to deal with that.

I wouldn't say that the top 3 major guilds would be the only guilds to have these ships, but certainly guilds that conjure up a ton of effort and manage to keep up their guild activity would be able to use this feature if it were to ever come out. It also somewhat gives some incentive for active players who are in "small" or "dead" guilds - to expand outward and find an active guild with more people if they so choose. Game can get somewhat boring if you're the only one online in a guild for a month at a time I would presume you know?
Makes sense I've been on the receiving end of that was in deja Vu guild and am the only one on everyday

Makes sense I've been on the receiving end of that was in deja Vu guild and am the only one on everyday
There are a ton of good guilds, that are also large willing to take people in and help players out and they have a ton of resources that lower level pirates are able to use like leveling tips - certain maps that show locations of specific mobs - it's great, but only so long as those resources are being used, and that effort isn't going to waste.

First I would like to say I love the idea but Nah, (SOTL) Ship of the Line should remain as it is.
Yes, I agree to have a ''Monstrous'' ship like that will make the game interesting but also boring because enemy ships are somewhat weaker anyway.

but if you guys want a ''New'' ship we should probably wait to see IF ( big IF ) TLOPO Team decides to release The Carrack because it is on development but very unfinished.

First I would like to say I love the idea but Nah, (SOTL) Ship of the Line should remain as it is.
Yes, I agree to have a ''Monstrous'' ship like that will make the game interesting but also boring because enemy ships are somewhat weaker anyway.

but if you guys want a ''New'' ship we should probably wait to see IF ( big IF ) TLOPO Team decides to release The Carrack because it is on development but very unfinished.
I don’t want a new ship type, I want more ships and more upgrade and customization options. In my opinion the SOTL just doesn’t fit with the other player ship types so even if it were working perfectly and had stats that made it reasonable for play I would still be against it.

I don’t want a new ship type, I want more ships and more upgrade and customization options. In my opinion the SOTL just doesn’t fit with the other player ship types so even if it were working perfectly and had stats that made it reasonable for play I would still be against it.

Eric, I agree with your opinion and I respect it but new changes are always a good thing for a game.
I doubt they will give us more ship upgrades but probably they could revamp the enemy ships and make them a little bit harder.
SOTL was just for the Test server back then in POTCO and 1 time for an SVS event so no point to be released for use.

Eric, I agree with your opinion and I respect it but new changes are always a good thing for a game.
I doubt they will give us more ship upgrades but probably they could revamp the enemy ships and make them a little bit harder.
SOTL was just for the Test server back then in POTCO and 1 time for an SVS event so no point to be released for use.
They have introduced sail colors and emblems and have said that they are working on figureheads and the carrack so the developers are working on such things. I think lots of additional small upgrades, like an additional deck cannon, would be great rather than a whole new upgrade path. I’m also against the carrack as it was obsolete at the time setting of potco and replaced with the galleon which was pretty much superior in every way, why would anyone want a carrack when they could have a galleon? To my knowledge the SOTL was only briefly available on the potco test server by accident and Disney removed it immediately after discovering the error but decided to let anyone who had bought one keep it.

They have introduced sail colors and emblems and have said that they are working on figureheads and the carrack so the developers are working on such things. I think lots of additional small upgrades, like an additional deck cannon, would be great rather than a whole new upgrade path. I’m also against the carrack as it was obsolete at the time setting of potco and replaced with the galleon which was pretty much superior in every way, why would anyone want a carrack when they could have a galleon? To my knowledge the SOTL was only briefly available on the potco test server by accident and Disney removed it immediately after discovering the error but decided to let anyone who had bought one keep it.

that is true :happy:
and IF they add the new features you mentioned I'd be happy too.
but I still want the Carrack! 😹

I actually like the sotl idea. Perhaps an implementation with guilds would be interesting. For example, the construction of a sotl would have to be undertaken by a guild with more than x members and they would have to pool resources and contribute to constructing it.

The ship wouldn't be used by any single player regularly, but it could be used only during specific guild-related events that were relatively common. These could be guild vs guild ship battles, or guild vs AI ships for some kind of special loot drops, or guild vs sea monsters?? This could open the possibility of having various sotl classes so that smaller guilds can have some kind of ship and larger ones can have a more brolic one.

This would provide a direct material benefit to joining and building up guilds as it would be a path to unlocking unique features or drops for members by engaging in guild-only content. It would also foster guild growth and internal cooperation beyond what we have now.

I actually like the sotl idea. Perhaps an implementation with guilds would be interesting. For example, the construction of a sotl would have to be undertaken by a guild with more than x members and they would have to pool resources and contribute to constructing it.

The ship wouldn't be used by any single player regularly, but it could be used only during specific guild-related events that were relatively common. These could be guild vs guild ship battles, or guild vs AI ships for some kind of special loot drops, or guild vs sea monsters?? This could open the possibility of having various sotl classes so that smaller guilds can have some kind of ship and larger ones can have a more brolic one.

This would provide a direct material benefit to joining and building up guilds as it would be a path to unlocking unique features or drops for members by engaging in guild-only content. It would also foster guild growth and internal cooperation beyond what we have now.
yes exactly, all fantastic points and ideas 😍

Still reading this trying to see if he's talking about the idea I posted up awhile back 😅, seems like the idea is on the same page though otherwise!

Ok apologies, I honestly didn't read all the pages and just wrote my idea. Its possible my idea is very close to yours, I'll look at your idea soon. SKIP to TL;DR at the end if you're like me and hate reading long posts.

Here's an elaboration of my idea, but a couple notes first:
(1) I'm talking about a larger game mechanic than simply making the "sotl" model (i.e. the Tally Ho ship and that other hunter ship model) be useable by players in game. I'm talking about adding a whole new feature to the game meant to overhaul and revitalize guilds.
(2) This would be a lot of work from the dev perspective, but I believe that my proposition (and similar propositions by others) is greatly worth the effort since I see guilds as the ONLY way for the game to maintain a dedicated player base and keep high-level players interested (the other being grinding for legendary items).

OK here's the FULL concept as I envision it:

A new class of ships available exclusively to guilds (say 3 or 4 new "cool" ship models, one of them may or may not be the "sotl" tally ho model, I actually don't particularly care what ship models are used) ... they could follow the same aesthetic as the current sloop/galleon/frigate/brig thing going, though I would recommend using totally new models rather than just a bigger sloop or bigger galleon or whatever. The guild ships could be available from the shipwright or there could be a new random character standing outside near the beach dedicated to guild ships... whatever.

The guild ships have tiers that are objectively better as the tiers increase. The tiers are progressively more expensive in gold and materials but also require a larger and larger number of guild members to unlock the ability to even attempt to build them. So its not just a playstyle difference, but the tier II ship is a clear upgrade from tier I, and tier III is even better and bigger and so on.

Guild ships require a whole guild effort to build. Something kind of akin to clans in Warframe building a solar rail or pooling research, if anyone of ya'll is familiar with that game. The guild leader could initiate a project to build a certain tier guild ship if a certain number of people are in the guild.

I see three possibilities for actually completing the guild ship build that is initiated by the guild leader:

(1) The tier I ship could be built for a reasonable amount of resources that maybe even one person could afford so that if people really want to participate in this whole guild thing, they can at least sail in with a tier I. Tier II and up would cost more money and resources than a single person could accrue, requiring guild members to contribute into a common "pot" towards completion of the ship. This would require the contribution of a critical mass of guild members, though some guild members might obviously contribute more to the ship than others allowing free riders.

(2) All guild ships will need to be constructed from subsections or parts, such as sails, mast, left hull, right hull, forecastle, whatever. A certain tier guild ship will require a certain number of different "parts" to be completed. The individual parts can be constructed by a single member for a large but relatively reasonable cost and they can only make 1 part which goes into a common part pot for the guild. Once enough parts are completed, the ship can be finished. This would ensure that a certain number of active members contribute to the building of the ship and therefore higher tiers would need more members as members can only contribute 1 part each. Again there'd probably be some members beyond the parts threshold that would have a free ride, but this method at least is a better way of ensuring a critical mass of active guild members.

(3) Subsections or parts to the ships could be obtained from guild-centered quest that each require the participation of a certain number of guild members. The quests for higher tier ship parts would require more participating members. This way you can grind for the ships as a team.

There's probably more ways to work this out than the three I listed, but that's just what came to my mind.

Guild ships CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be available to be sailed by individual pirates on the high seas like normal ships. The whole purpose for working toward these ships would be to participate in GUILD EVENTS that are either regularly reoccurring, or available at all times from a specific island (such as the ship pvp from the French and Spanish isles). The events could be guild vs guild svs where two guild sotl ships could fight each other for giggles. Matchmaking could be allowed only for ships of the same tier for balance or just let chaos reign for funsies so large guilds could demolish others for kicks, idc, whatever. The events could also be ship quests that require a guild ship to complete, such as sinking some really brolic fleets that just can't be touched by regular ships, or appear in a specific area of the sea only guild ships can be in, or whatever. The events could be fighting sea monsters (my personal favorite), since sea monsters were, to my understanding, kind of always supposed to be a thing in the game at some point anyway. There's probably more ideas out there.

Guild events should have a drop table of certain new (or old or whatever) legendary/famed/otherwise rare items that could only be obtained through the guild events. The items would be awarded to all members of the crew of the guild ship on completion, or to the whole guild. They don't need to be particularly powerful items, but they should be good enough to be sought after and be unique. They can even be cosmetic items that do not affect game balance (no OP weapons or anything like that). Even if the whole guild is awarded whatever prize, it would be a way for a guild to show its status and achievement as a group by being able to wear a specific hat or what have you for having finished a hard guild quest with a low drop chance. Alternatively the drops could be actual useful weapons too, but I'm just saying that I think guilds would still grind for this even if it was a technically "useless" item such as clothing or a special emblem or whatever because people like exclusive stuff.

Guild ships could be captained only if you have a certain rank in the guild (such as veteran or officer or whatever).

The whole point of all this is to make participation in a guild more rewarding and more objective-based than just helping out your friends or grinding together or accumulating more members just for the heck of it. There's more ways to accomplish this goal than with the way I described or variations of it, but I think that making guilds more relevant through a system of special ships that incorporates new quests or sea monsters or other new content would be a very great way to go about this while still keeping the spirit of POTCO.

I haven't really noticed any major game changes in TLOPO compared to POTCO. I see the devs added some new characters or loot and obviously did a lot of coding with all the server-side stuff and other stuff im surely not aware of. It would be cool if the people working on TLOPO could inject something truly original and THEIRS into the game, like really make pirates online their game now. It doesn't have to be with this idea, but some kind of major content upgrade seems like the best way to go about this to me. Of course the goal could just be patch all the POTCO bugs but otherwise leave it be and that's fine too, but I'm dreaming big I guess.

TL;DR: Guilds should become more relevant in order to give players more of a reason to join them and to give maxed players something to work towards that involves socializing and teaming up... the way I propose to do this is by creating a new class of ships of the line available only to guilds that are used in guild-only events for unique rewards.

Last edited:
Ok apologies, I honestly didn't read all the pages and just wrote my idea.Its possible my idea is very close to yours, I'll look at your idea soon. SKIP to TL;DR at the end if you're like me and hate reading long posts.

Here's an elaboration of my idea, but a couple notes first:
(1) I'm talking about a larger game mechanic than simply making the "sotl" model (i.e. the Tally Ho ship and that other hunter ship model) be useable by players in game. I'm talking about adding a whole new feature to the game meant to overhaul and revitalize guilds.
(2) This would be a lot of work from the dev perspective, but I believe that my proposition (and similar propositions by others) is greatly worth the effort since I see guilds as the ONLY way for the game to maintain a dedicated player base and keep high-level players interested (the other being grinding for legendary items).

OK here's the FULL concept as I envision it:

A new class of ships available exclusively to guilds (say 3 or 4 new "cool" ship models, one of them may or may not be the "sotl" tally ho model, I actually don't particularly care what ship models are used) ... they could follow the same aesthetic as the current sloop/galleon/frigate/brig thing going, though I would recommend using totally new models rather than just a bigger sloop or bigger galleon or whatever. The guild ships could be available from the shipwright or there could be a new random character standing outside near the beach dedicated to guild ships... whatever.

The guild ships have tiers that are objectively better as the tiers increase. The tiers are progressively more expensive in gold and materials but also require a larger and larger number of guild members to unlock the ability to even attempt to build them. So its not just a playstyle difference, but the tier II ship is a clear upgrade from tier I, and tier III is even better and bigger and so on.

Guild ships require a whole guild effort to build. Something kind of akin to clans in Warframe building a solar rail or pooling research, if anyone of ya'll is familiar with that game. The guild leader could initiate a project to build a certain tier guild ship if a certain number of people are in the guild.

I see three possibilities for actually completing the guild ship build that is initiated by the guild leader:

(1) The tier I ship could be built for a reasonable amount of resources that maybe even one person could afford so that if people really want to participate in this whole guild thing, they can at least sail in with a tier I. Tier II and up would cost more money and resources than a single person could accrue, requiring guild members to contribute into a common "pot" towards completion of the ship. This would require the contribution of a critical mass of guild members, though some guild members might obviously contribute more to the ship than others allowing free riders.

(2) All guild ships will need to be constructed from subsections or parts, such as sails, mast, left hull, right hull, forecastle, whatever. A certain tier guild ship will require a certain number of different "parts" to be completed. The individual parts can be constructed by a single member for a large but relatively reasonable cost and they can only make 1 part which goes into a common part pot for the guild. Once enough parts are completed, the ship can be finished. This would ensure that a certain number of active members contribute to the building of the ship and therefore higher tiers would need more members as members can only contribute 1 part each. Again there'd probably be some members beyond the parts threshold that would have a free ride, but this method at least is a better way of ensuring a critical mass of active guild members.

(3) Subsections or parts to the ships could be obtained from guild-centered quest that each require the participation of a certain number of guild members. The quests for higher tier ship parts would require more participating members. This way you can grind for the ships as a team.

There's probably more ways to work this out than the three I listed, but that's just what came to my mind.

Guild ships CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be available to be sailed by individual pirates on the high seas like normal ships. The whole purpose for working toward these ships would be to participate in GUILD EVENTS that are either regularly reoccurring, or available at all times from a specific island (such as the ship pvp from the French and Spanish isles). The events could be guild vs guild svs where two guild sotl ships could fight each other for giggles. Matchmaking could be allowed only for ships of the same tier for balance or just let chaos reign for funsies so large guilds could demolish others for kicks, idc, whatever. The events could also be ship quests that require a guild ship to complete, such as sinking some really brolic fleets that just can't be touched by regular ships, or appear in a specific area of the sea only guild ships can be in, or whatever. The events could be fighting sea monsters (my personal favorite), since sea monsters were, to my understanding, kind of always supposed to be a thing in the game at some point anyway. There's probably more ideas out there.

Guild events should have a drop table of certain new (or old or whatever) legendary/famed/otherwise rare items that could only be obtained through the guild events. The items would be awarded to all members of the crew of the guild ship on completion, or to the whole guild. They don't need to be particularly powerful items, but they should be good enough to be sought after and be unique. They can even be cosmetic items that do not affect game balance (no OP weapons or anything like that). Even if the whole guild is awarded whatever prize, it would be a way for a guild to show its status and achievement as a group by being able to wear a specific hat or what have you for having finished a hard guild quest with a low drop chance. Alternatively the drops could be actual useful weapons too, but I'm just saying that I think guilds would still grind for this even if it was a technically "useless" item such as clothing or a special emblem or whatever because people like exclusive stuff.

Guild ships could be captained only if you have a certain rank in the guild (such as veteran or officer or whatever).

The whole point of all this is to make participation in a guild more rewarding and more objective-based than just helping out your friends or grinding together or accumulating more members just for the heck of it. There's more ways to accomplish this goal than with the way I described or variations of it, but I think that making guilds more relevant through a system of special ships that incorporates new quests or sea monsters or other new content would be a very great way to go about this while still keeping the spirit of POTCO.

I haven't really noticed any major game changes in TLOPO compared to POTCO. I see the devs added some new characters or loot and obviously did a lot of coding with all the server-ide stuff and other stuff im surely not aware of. It would be cool if the people working on TLOPO could inject something truly original and THEIRS into the game, like really make pirates online their game now. It doesn' have to be with this idea, but some kind of major content upgrade seems like the best way to go about this to me. Of course the goal could just be patch all the POTCO bugs but otherwise leave it be and that's fine too, but I'm dreaming big I guess.

TL;DR: Guilds should become more relevant in order to give players more of a reason to join them and to give maxed players something to work towards that involves socializing and teaming up... the way I propose to do this is by creating a new class of ships of the line available only to guilds that are used in guild-only events for unique rewards.
No you're okay mate! No need to apologize! I think there are a ton of ideas on the table on how to implement SOTL just here in this forum post alone. Expressing and explaining these ideas are good for discussion, and also provide some insight as to how mechanics might be displayed in the future! Very great work here on this post mate ;)

No, it would be too game breaking. Not to mention, it would be a lot of work to create the new designs for its upgrades. Also, I don't recall anyone from the POTC universe (specifically pirates) owning a SOTL. I could be wrong though.
I bet your on of those people who are afraid to grind the mats for it plus I found upgrade pictures for it fortune skull stormchaser and reinforce
No, it would be too game breaking. Not to mention, it would be a lot of work to create the new designs for its upgrades. Also, I don't recall anyone from the POTC universe (specifically pirates) owning a SOTL. I could be wrong though.
It's in the files hers the upgrades I found for it

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 146
  • images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 137
  • images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 143
  • images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 126
I bet your on of those people who are afraid to grind the mats for it
You mean having to afk on a mat run ship for hours at a time? Yes, how daunting! Regardless, though, the issue with adding it is and always has been balance. Adding a ship the trumps all of the others is simply bad game design. If you think brigs are currently the meta like I saw on your other 3 posts regarding this same subject, then maybe your efforts could be turned more towards how to improve the quality of other ships to make them balanced?

You mean having to afk on a mat run ship for hours at a time? Yes, how daunting! Regardless, though, the issue with adding it is and always has been balance. Adding a ship the trumps all of the others is simply bad game design. If you think brigs are currently the meta like I saw on your other 3 posts regarding this same subject, then maybe your efforts could be turned more towards how to improve the quality of other ships to make them balanced?
Ok first of all the the sotl is balanced as it sits it doesn't need repair stations and second of all it doest trump all the other ships 20k health is nothing to a skull storm or even copperhead ship a few broadsides and the sotl is history how is that the trump of the sea how is the sotl trumping over other ships the sotl has a fast speed but horrible turning it's perfectly balanced

And what you mean afk on another mat run ship just leave the ship if you don't want to stay on it 24 cargo is nothing I've been on galleons with 33 cargo and I just stay busy between repairs and cannons lol

Back