You meet the nicest people in this game.

Eric Sailcutter

Pirate Lord
most of the time but not always... I was in the Gold Room when these guys came along and the first thing one of them said was "finally, an open Gold Room" then they proceeded to go crazy and call me names, I had not said a word, and genally behave as spoiled 2 year olds. They told me to leave, "kicked rocks" on me and called me a girl, as though they thought that might be some sort of insult???. You know, it made me think of how the boot option on ships has worked out. When it was suggested there was a lot of people that claimed it would be abused but I've not experienced that at all, in fact I used to get quite a few trolls and now since the implementation I've only had a couple. I really don't need to use the boot option as its existence has cut trolling's effectiveness to where few bother with it. I wonder if there might be some way of implementing something to stop this kind of abuse on land. I realize that it's not so simple as it was in sailing but I'm hoping you all have some suggestions on ways to limit this kind of childish behavior. Got an idea? Let's hear it please.

There is such a thing as reporting these players. It seems to me they deserved it. I am not one to report people ever, but that is why the option exists.
The focus of this thread is looking for ways to limit such behavior, not report it. Ways to improve the game not punish bad behavior. The fact that they could be reported was not deterring them and if they were banned they could create a new account and repeat. I'm hoping someone has an idea that would limit their ability to do such things in the first place or at least limit it's effectiveness. Thanks for your thought though.

Yeah its really unfortunate the community has this particular group of people going around doing this repeatedly. Its especially sad when you realize that there are those among them that were previously terminated, but were recently allowed to play the game again and do this sort of stuff by tlopo. Regardless it's best to ignore them and move on but I agree with Eric that something should definitely be done about this in some sort of way.

most of the time but not always... I was in the Gold Room when these guys came along and the first thing one of them said was "finally, an open Gold Room" then they proceeded to go crazy and call me names, I had not said a word, and genally behave as spoiled 2 year olds. They told me to leave, "kicked rocks" on me and called me a girl, as though they thought that might be some sort of insult???. You know, it made me think of how the boot option on ships has worked out. When it was suggested there was a lot of people that claimed it would be abused but I've not experienced that at all, in fact I used to get quite a few trolls and now since the implementation I've only had a couple. I really don't need to use the boot option as its existence has cut trolling's effectiveness to where few bother with it. I wonder if there might be some way of implementing something to stop this kind of abuse on land. I realize that it's not so simple as it was in sailing but I'm hoping you all have some suggestions on ways to limit this kind of childish behavior. Got an idea? Let's hear it please.

Hey, Friend I've been in the same situation it is unfortunate that TLOPO team is closing their eyes about this problem because there were a lot of threads about this...

Option 1: When you loot and someone arrive and trying to crash your fun you can use Siege Charge eventually they will get bored.
Option 2: Just move on and say whatever this is JUST a Game after all.
Option 3: If the player(s) offend you in anyway let them talk (type) empty words on a screen.
Option 4. You can simple ignore the player(s).

the important thing is HAVE fun forget the TROLLS they do NOT deserve that much attention.

Hey, Friend I've been in the same situation it is unfortunate that TLOPO team is closing their eyes about this problem because there were a lot of threads about this...

Option 1: When you loot and someone arrive and trying to crash your fun you can use Siege Charge eventually they will get bored.
Option 2: Just move on and say whatever this is JUST a Game after all.
Option 3: If the player(s) offend you in anyway let them talk (type) empty words on a screen.
Option 4. You can simple ignore the player(s).

the important thing is HAVE fun forget the TROLLS they do NOT deserve that much attention.
I don’t feel that the staff are simply ignoring this issue. I feel that it’s just really difficult to do anything effective about it. With sailing the boot option was eventually adopted and IMO it’s been very effective. I can’t, at least yet, think of a scheme to control this so I thought that there are lots of creative people here on forums, maybe they have some ideas that could be formed into a solution as was the case in sailing.

I don’t feel that the staff are simply ignoring this issue. I feel that it’s just really difficult to do anything effective about it. With sailing the boot option was eventually adopted and IMO it’s been very effective. I can’t, at least yet, think of a scheme to control this so I thought that there are lots of creative people here on forums, maybe they have some ideas that could be formed into a solution as was the case in sailing.

Yes, I agree and perhaps they should add more servers that could help a little bit.
I understand it is frustrating but what else can we do but ignore them? it is pointless to get into a fight for a looting spot...

If who ever is targeted just leaves and doesn’t say a single word to them they’ll get bored reeeall quick. After all, that’s all they’re doing it for, to get reactions. Same with Captain Blood/Paladin/Black Beard etc.

At least until more can be done to limit this behavior. :/

Yeah, unfortunately there is currently no grounds to report someone for griefing. As @deanaug mentioned earlier: the land is a free-for-all area, different from the privacy of your ship. At this time I do not see a possible way to “boot” trolls from an area you are looting - although it would be nice. The only solution I see is (maybe) an addition of “private” servers or effectively “offline” servers - where it’s just you - nobody else.

Personally, I would prefer the mods institute bans for griefing, but like you said - most are apt to return, make a new account, and continue their previous actions.

Regardless, I want to emphasize that yes, this indeed is a current issue within TLOPO. Thanks for the thread!

If there was an in-game option to request a mod or GM to come to the area and observe.. that would be a start. I have seen them kick players for their behavior, especially when they get multiple reports of said players in a short period of time. Sure, they can just come back, but it takes time to login, load the game, and get back to the spot they were at and repeatedly kicking them will deter that behavior eventually. They DO get sick of reloading the game at some point lol. Some of you might say they aren't doing anything wrong, some of ya might say just ignore them.. either way they get what they want and that's to drive people away from areas and that's not right. They should NOT be getting away with that behavior (harmless or not). If 95% of the people in the game can practice common sense and common courtesy.. everyone else can as well.

Hey there, figured this needed a response.

1. If you believe a player is breaking our Terms of Service, please report them. However, stealing a loot spot isn’t against our rules. We won’t ban players for stealing “your” loot spot. POTCO didn’t ban players for this anyways

2. Adding more servers to create more loot spots comes at a cost. We have to pay for the servers and many servers (outside of Abassa/Andaba) have 20 players on them at most during busy hours. To pay for more servers wouldn’t solve the issue anyways.

3. The suggestions regarding ignoring said players is the best course of action. One other note, if you don’t report the players (if they are breaking our terms), please don’t assume TLOPO has a blind eye for it.

Boot option works well on ships, because the scope is limited to the players on-board that are there by your permission. There is no equivalent restriction on any land-based areas, so can't think of any ways to achieve this on land.
I totally agree and so am soliciting ideas.

If there was an in-game option to request a mod or GM to come to the area and observe.. that would be a start. I have seen them kick players for their behavior, especially when they get multiple reports of said players in a short period of time. Sure, they can just come back, but it takes time to login, load the game, and get back to the spot they were at and repeatedly kicking them will deter that behavior eventually. They DO get sick of reloading the game at some point lol. Some of you might say they aren't doing anything wrong, some of ya might say just ignore them.. either way they get what they want and that's to drive people away from areas and that's not right. They should NOT be getting away with that behavior (harmless or not). If 95% of the people in the game can practice common sense and common courtesy.. everyone else can as well.

Requesting a mod is an interesting idea, not sure how practical or effective it might be but it’s the best so far.

"Be a considerate person"

"Any form of inappropriate language, harassment, cheating, or other infraction listed in our Terms of Service will result in warnings or bans, depending on the severity of the incident. Consequences are progressive and will become more severe if the behavior is committed again."

"Disrespecting, harassing, or spamming others."

"Disrupting another player’s experience."

I would think their actions would fall under the harassment category.. ordering people to leave an area but what do I know. I guess it just depends on how thick o' skin you have. I would ignore them or give back just as much, but that's just me. Regardless of who has to deal with them, the point is.. they shouldn't HAVE to.

it's always the little kiddies who hang out at abassa thinking their lives are so special because they tell someone to kick rocks on a video game lol. shame that's what this generation consists of. spoiled 20 yr olds living off their parents with no sense of responsibility or common decency. rip

"Be a considerate person"

"Any form of inappropriate language, harassment, cheating, or other infraction listed in our Terms of Service will result in warnings or bans, depending on the severity of the incident. Consequences are progressive and will become more severe if the behavior is committed again."

"Disrespecting, harassing, or spamming others."

"Disrupting another player’s experience."

I would think their actions would fall under the harassment category.. ordering people to leave an area but what do I know. I guess it just depends on how thick o' skin you have. I would ignore them or give back just as much, but that's just me. Regardless of who has to deal with them, the point is.. they shouldn't HAVE to.
Yes, of course, but my real hope is to come up with a scheme that discourages this kind of behavior like the boot option did for sailing. It’s just not obvious to me how such a scheme might work so I thought ask the community for ideas.

Back