You meet the nicest people in this game.

Yes, there is another facility that limits people on land. It's called CREW. It might be possible to "cordon" certain key grind places so that the first person who enters becomes the Crew leader and can boot subsequent people from the space itself. I'm not sure if the software could handle that. But the concept is there, at least obliquely.

This isn't possible.

That observational fact suggests there is already some kind of partitioning of the live map into segments, each of which compete for RAM to handle the volume of player activity.

This isn't the case. When you get within a certain range of an object (such as a ship), it's loaded in. The more objects in one area, the greater your chances for a crash. Nothing to do with 'live segments'.

Isn't that basically what I said? There is a dynamic identification of "segment" which has a lot of ships drawing on computing power in order to keep the live action going.

If I'm on the outer edge, the lag is still there. I don't need to be in the middle of the pack, close to all of the objects.

Because everyone is moving, it's highly unlikely that a "cordon" can be imposed even temporarily. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Similarly, any place where you pass thru a portal to enter could have a limited number of players allowed. That seems possible.

Because everyone is moving, it's highly unlikely that a "cordon" can be imposed even temporarily. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Similarly, any place where you pass thru a portal to enter could have a limited number of players allowed. That seems possible.

Just to be sure, I double checked and verified that it's not possible and should be ruled out. It can't be used for any kind of moderation ideas here -- which is the point I was trying to make originally.

I agree with Kate's point 3 that naming and shaming is a form of bullying.

But let's look at the OP, which Eric has strived to bring back to topic: other ideas besides punishment and boot from ship.

Yes, there is another facility that limits people on land. It's called CREW. It might be possible to "cordon" certain key grind places so that the first person who enters becomes the Crew leader and can boot subsequent people from the space itself. I'm not sure if the software could handle that. But the concept is there, at least obliquely.

OTOH, the people who pointed out that nobody owns a space are correct. The spirit of pirating is that the whole territory is freely available. (Apparently some people take that too far and act like the meanest pirates of legend.) There are plenty of servers, so start on a "quiet" ocean if you're worried about interference. Or play at time when most North Americans are sleeping.
You have some good points, but about cordoning off sections I believe would be server stressing and letting every pirate have some space they want at any time seems insurmountable given the apparent stretched servers now. And fortunately, to have a crew at a boss doesn't give a license to own the space. I've played while 3 or more crews were working the same boss. Just a couple from one crew/guild were demanding and trying to tell others how to play or what to use. Easily ignored.
Eric may have come to the conclusion that control on land may not be feasible to be done fairly.

But, one idea I was toying with, is a player is able to tag a miscreant that only the reporting player and a mod can see. The offensive player can't tell he's marked, and will stay marked until a mod or admin show up and observe behavior. If bad behavior is actionable by the mods/admin, then perhaps they could teleport the pirate to a jail anywhere with an admin message something like "You have been actively observed breaking tlopo regs and can leave the jail in one minute with one negative mark recorded and each removal to a jail will last longer up to 'N' times. Surpassing 'N' marks in a 24 period will subject you to possible admin game ban for 'n' amount of time". Or some such language. The events are basically handled privately by admin and the parties involved. This may avoid the public shaming ideas. In all cases to me, the reporting player should always only be a witness reporting the incidents, not an active participant after the initial report. Abusive reporting would probably be easy to spot as the mod watches the action.

Perhaps if all players know that they can be hiddenly marked, this may be a bit of a deterrent to future conduct by players. So, like cameras now inhabiting just about every intersection, SMILE, you can be on candid camera!

Other than that basically, all the other ideas I have are like some others, with public markings and such. Which I don't think would float.

Last edited:
If who ever is targeted just leaves and doesn’t say a single word to them they’ll get bored reeeall quick. After all, that’s all they’re doing it for, to get reactions. Same with Captain Blood/Paladin/Black Beard etc.

At least until more can be done to limit this behavior. :/
In my opinion, I feel it's much more aggravating to the offensive party to stay right where you are, do exactly what you were doing without a single acknowledgement whatsoever. No matter how stupid some people try to be, I've never been chased off and always the last one there if I wanted to be. I have, and never will leave an area because people are trying to 'impress' me. It's taken a while, but now I don't respond unless it's someone I'm familiar with to have a conversation. Even when people pull bosses away from me, it's not worth it to react. So I don't.

One has to develop an ignore shield. Once one figures that out and accepts it, the game is still quite enjoyable.

You have some good points, but about cordoning off sections I believe would be server stressing and letting every pirate have some space they want at any time seems insurmountable given the apparent stretched servers now. And fortunately, to have a crew at a boss doesn't give a license to own the space. I've played while 3 or more crews were working the same boss. Just a couple from one crew/guild were demanding and trying to tell others how to play or what to use. Easily ignored.
Eric may have come to the conclusion that control on land may not be feasible to be done fairly.

But, one idea I was toying with, is a player is able to tag a miscreant that only the reporting player and a mod can see. The offensive player can't tell he's marked, and will stay marked until a mod or admin show up and observe behavior. If bad behavior is actionable by the mods/admin, then perhaps they could teleport the pirate to a jail anywhere with an admin message something like "You have been actively observed breaking tlopo regs and can leave the jail in one minute with one negative mark recorded and each removal to a jail will last longer up to 'N' times. Surpassing 'N' marks in a 24 period will subject you to possible admin game ban for 'n' amount of time". Or some such language. The events are basically handled privately by admin and the parties involved. This may avoid the public shaming ideas. In all cases to me, the reporting player should always only be a witness reporting the incidents, not an active participant after the initial report. Abusive reporting would probably be easy to spot as the mod watches the action.

Perhaps if all players know that they can be hiddenly marked, this may be a bit of a deterrent to future conduct by players. So, like cameras now inhabiting just about every intersection, SMILE, you can be on candid camera!

Other than that basically, all the other ideas I have are like some others, with public markings and such. Which I don't think would float.

I like this idea! Although it kind of goes along with what I was saying, a moderator needs to be somewhat available to come observe the offensive player in a timely fashion (before said behavior ends or it defeats the purpose). I honestly have no idea how many staff members there are in this game but one would think that at least ONE would be online at any given time (or not?). That being said, couldn't they simply implement an alert to go off on the staff members screen that there is an issue that needs observation (once a player is marked). I don't see how that would "stretch" the staff thin or anything, as it wouldn't take very long to tp and observe for a few minutes. Just an idea.

I like this idea! Although it kind of goes along with what I was saying, a moderator needs to be somewhat available to come observe the offensive player in a timely fashion (before said behavior ends or it defeats the purpose). I honestly have no idea how many staff members there are in this game but one would think that at least ONE would be online at any given time (or not?). That being said, couldn't they simply implement an alert to go off on the staff members screen that there is an issue that needs observation (once a player is marked). I don't see how that would "stretch" the staff thin or anything, as it wouldn't take very long to tp and observe for a few minutes. Just an idea.
You mean with the 30+ other social network and youboob, twit, fb apps running on their taskbar full time? Do you honestly think they'll see it?

Back