Youtubes new..."rule"

navy3001

Notorious Pirate
welp youtube wants to kill small channels...you need 1K subs and 4000 hours of views to beable to monetize videos

Last edited:
welp youtube wants to kill small channels...you need 1K subs and 4000 hours of views to beable to monotive videos
Doesn't uboob get a cut somehow of every sub you add as well? I know they instantly add ads to everything uboob. Monotive? Did you mean monetize?

And that's 4000 hours of views in the last year, not total.
I also think that 4000 hours doesn't mean 24 hour days. I think it's based on quantity. For example, 60 people watch 1 minute of video the same minute, I think that's considered an hour of views? This may be how these social sites come up with the actually unrealistic numbers of a billion views per hour or someting.

Not to mention they demonetize channels that have views that they disagree with. They're legally allowed to do it but its unfortunate that they do.

Last edited:
Unfortunate but there's not much anyone can do about it. Small channels affected by this typically will be lucky to make anything through donations, be it direct donations or Patreon. Although I think Basic Attention Token has potential for filling the monetization gap for smaller channels with their Brave browsing platform, certainly something to consider for small channels looking for a way to get back their lost revenue.

Unfortunate but there's not much anyone can do about it. Small channels affected by this typically will be lucky to make anything through donations, be it direct donations or Patreon. Although I think Basic Attention Token has potential for filling the monetization gap for smaller channels with their Brave browsing platform, certainly something to consider for small channels looking for a way to get back their lost revenue.
"certainly something to consider for small channels looking for a way to get back their lost revenue."
If a company is predicting they would have made x number of dollars, then they did not really lose any income. The feds don't recognize future gains as tax revenue, thus you can't take it as a loss. But internet companies love to use this quote.
It's how the big record media companies play the game. You can't make a copy of that music, we would of made money off you. No one should be allowed to gain anything based on predicting loss.

welp youtube wants to kill small channels...you need 1K subs and 4000 hours of views to beable to monetize videos

The thing is, YouTube doesn't want to kill small channels, they just want to save money. YouTube is based on sponsors, it's hard for employees to watch over videoes that fit into monetization. Think about the fact that there are about 300 hours of video uploaded every minute in YouTube.

YouTube used to strive off of unique content from up and coming channels. Now it seems they are happy with what they got and don't care about anyone else.

and now..there is 300 hours less being uploaded to youtube due to this new rule
Uboob wouldn't have made a new rule if it wasn't going to boost their bottom line. uboob was always about ad revenue, not about creation or art.
It was only in the last few years that uboob invaded the actual video stream space itself. It wasn't enough for side ads, they force ads within what you watch with no recourse. Just like TV. I know that as the channel owner/leasor (you don't own a channel technically) can also put a ton of ads in their own stuff as well. I think uboob requires like a minimum of 3 or something, but the video author can add more. I haven't checked for a while.

Back