Disney need to sort their priorities out

Bart Blueginty

Wanted Pirate
We all want different things in PotCO, like the kraken and Davy Jones, however we hear excuses similar to these

"We scrapped that idea"
"It was going to cost us too much money"
"It causes problems within the game"

So if they can add Davy Jones and The Kraken here

Then surely they should add it to their online game the 1 and only original PotCO

We all want different things in PotCO, like the kraken and Davy Jones, however we hear excuses similar to these

"We scrapped that idea"

Then surely they should add it to their online game the 1 and only original PotCO

The reason why they won't do it is because they are trying to compete with bigger games and keep spending money in new games. (coughcoughshoutouttoshamusthebrutecoughcough) They must be the winner. In the end they may make alot of movies kids love and essentially dominate kids movies, but they sure as hell can not and will not have the capacity and money to possibly compete with others.

They are not going to sort them out any time soon.

Ok I just got THE most disheartening email from disneyonline (this is different than the POTCO member services email). Below is the response I got from an email I sent listing ideas for the game. The first email basically just told me to email POTCO, the second one though was very disturbing. You'll see what I mean:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

For assistance, please contact Pirates Online directly at one of the following e-mail addresses.

For billing related questions - billing@piratesonline.com
For game related questions - memberservices@piratesonline.com

or call 888-507-9507.

Regards,
Anthony
Disney Online
http://disney.go.com

Hi Anthony,
I have sent that list to pirates online several times and get a generic response of thanks for the ideas but we don't know if new content is coming to the game. As a paying member for Pirates online I am disappointed that new content isn't added on a regular basis the way it was the first few years it started. I love the game and can see a lot of potential for it being great again.
Please try to send my concerns to someone who has a say into adding new content to the game, i.e.: the developers of POTCO, the emails you included below have told me already that it's not up to them to add new content. Who else can I email to voice my concerns and requests?
Kelly

Hi,

Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with your inquiry. You have contacted Pirates and they have responded to you. Unfortunately not all ideas are put into games if any.

Regards,

Anthony
Disney Online
http://disney.go.com

It's that IF ANY comment that is the most depressing comment. ugh.

Ok I just got THE most disheartening email from disneyonline (this is different than the POTCO member services email). Below is the response I got from an email I sent listing ideas for the game. The first email basically just told me to email POTCO, the second one though was very disturbing. You'll see what I mean:

Hi,

Hi
"Hi." If I may say so, that is one of the most lazy, unprofessional greetings ever. Good work Disney. :rolleyes:

The problems they face are; Panda 3D, and the sloppy, unprofessional "foundation code," product of Disney hiring amateur/straight out of college developers.

About the Kraken and Davy Jones...

I don't know if this could be similar in any way, but...

I run a Minecraft server that I can play on with my friends. However, when there's too many people on, or too many things are happening at once, it gets laggy or crashes. There is a reason for that. You need to have enough RAM (basically memory built into your computer dedicated to a program). RAM stands for Random Access Memory. If there is not enough RAM dedicated to the program, the program tires out, as you could say, and can't work under the stress being piled on. Perhaps they didn't add the Kraken (There's no excuse for Davy Jones, though. He could just be a boss.) because they didn't have enough RAM to dedicate to all the servers to withstand the memory the Kraken needs to run smoothly.

"We scrapped that idea"

Wow, they took alot of what is in POTCO and used it in that infinity POTC world, even the Kraken looks alot like the mock ups they showed early on during the development of POTCO.

Wow, they took alot of what is in POTCO and used it in that infinity POTC world, even the Kraken looks alot like the mock ups they showed early on during the development of POTCO.
I have been thinking the same thing since the first trailer. I wouldn't doubt if they weren't the exact same models/textures.

I have been thinking the same thing since the first trailer. I wouldn't doubt if they weren't the exact same models/textures.
Even the sound effects of the sword fight sound the same and the tormenta characters are there which were NEVER in the movies, that is directly copied from potco. I just don't want them to think this infinity will replace potco :(

I just don't want them to think this infinity will replace potco :(
They are likely banking heavily upon the idea that it may very well do so. For one thing, there is an article on the net that claims that Disney has been "toying" around with the idea of Infinity over a period of ten years...10 years! :mad:

The advantage POTCO has over Infinity is that a unlimited amount of players can play together while online (currently at launch, Infinity only permits a total of '4' players to play together while online). However, understanding Disney's motivation to eliminate the high risk associated in developing and maintaining games of theirs which are based solely upon a singular platform devoted to characters from a movie which may later become susceptible to a loss of public interest (over time), Infinity serves as their answer for not only this dilemma but also a means to an end for all future movie characters whom likely will be "added" into the platform which, by design, offers such flexibility.

IMO, Infinity has 3 main components that I am not sure the public will tolerate:
  1. High costs
  2. Too many "pieces" and options to keep track of; The targeted age-group are young kids whom could be overwhelmed by the various game pieces required in order to play which could become counter-productive (especially if those game pieces end up lost between the couch cushions)
  3. A lack of inter-game connections between players whom could struggle to formulate a lasting Infinity "community"

Even the sound effects of the sword fight sound the same and the tormenta characters are there which were NEVER in the movies, that is directly copied from potco. I just don't want them to think this infinity will replace potco :(

Well Disney has several games and if they can make it a bit easier by using sound effects and models from another game they will do it in a heart beat :)

They are likely banking heavily upon the idea that it may very well do so. For one thing, there is an article on the net that claims that Disney has been "toying" around with the idea of Infinity over a period of ten years...10 years! :mad:

The advantage POTCO has over Infinity is that a unlimited amount of players can play together while online (currently at launch, Infinity only permits a total of '4' players to play together while online). However, understanding Disney's motivation to eliminate the high risk associated in developing and maintaining games of theirs which are based solely upon a singular platform devoted to characters from a movie which may later become susceptible to a loss of public interest (over time), Infinity serves as their answer for not only this dilemma but also a means to an end for all future movie characters whom likely will be "added" into the platform which, by design, offers such flexibility.

IMO, Infinity has 3 main components that I am not sure the public will tolerate:
  1. High costs
  2. Too many "pieces" and options to keep track of; The targeted age-group are young kids whom could be overwhelmed by the various game pieces required in order to play which could become counter-productive (especially if those game pieces end up lost between the couch cushions)
  3. A lack of inter-game connections between players whom could struggle to formulate a lasting Infinity "community"

4. Releasing it on current-gen consoles when next-gen consoles are coming out in the holidays (not too far from now...).

This technically only applies to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Oh, and

5. Releasing it on the Wii. There's barely any more games coming to it anyway. Nintendo already released Wii U, why would Infinity be released on the original Wii?

One of the things that troubles me about society, and Disney is pretty much saying they approve of this, is how everyone believes a child should be protected and they think up of an imaginary bubble that will shield them rom everything. To me thats what this game is. Its saying, yeah, lets shield them from everything as opposed to _________. Maybe Im wrong but Im starting to ponder about it and more and more it seems like it.

Has anyone thought about contacting the D.I.M.G direct with concerns?
Disney.Interactive.PR@disney.com
This email was one of the emails that was utilized during the "Revive POTCO - Land Ho!" event.
One of the things that troubles me about society, and Disney is pretty much saying they approve of this, is how everyone believes a child should be protected and they think up of an imaginary bubble that will shield them rom everything. To me thats what this game is. Its saying, yeah, lets shield them from everything as opposed to _________. Maybe Im wrong but Im starting to ponder about it and more and more it seems like it.
If you are speaking about Disney Infinity, the TOYBOX mode is meant to mimic a child's "playtime" habits to where random toys are spread about to where different aspects of toys, characters, and storylines are all meshed together. However, the concept itself is nothing entirely new as Infinity serves as just a copy of the successful Skylanders platform (the main difference being Disney's ability to capitalize upon the variety of movie characters it has acquired over these many years which are highly recognizable to children, you, and I).

One thing I would like to comment to which you hint upon - Bart - is that within the past 3-4 months, Disney CEO Robert Iger has made it a focus of his to "crack-down" on any intellectual properties Disney owns which may be deemed too violent. This effort also included the review of Disney Interactive games, both old and new.

You know, if Disney's approach parallel that of every other (major) media corporation, gaming initiatives like Infinity and Club Penguin would not acquire much of the corporation's attention as it has. Unfortunately as we all know, Disney strictly caters all of its efforts to children and young tweens and in return, fails to recognize the importance of including other demographics into its marketing strategies.

What results are games such as "Pirates of the Caribbean - Armada of the darned" being canceled outright without given any sort of a chance to prove themselves as a potentially, successful game.

A lot people thought Club Penguin was the money loss the brought down POTCO, or just wanting to put the money to "Gaming apps" like Disney stated. When in all honesty I think it was just the greed of Disney as well as the lake of "Magic" that kids and gamers where looking for in this game. Lets be honest here people, POTCO was not the best in fighting gameplay out there, was not the best in graphics or even looting which WOW has and other online games. It was the amazing community and atmosphere that hooked all us Savvy Smashbulkers to the game!

Disney I think cut off POTCO because they where putting there gaming funding into the new game Infinity expecting huge payback and to channel the money to keeping POTCO open and developing new "Apps" - Unfortunately, it was a failure seeing the game was for Wii and the gaming console itself is already having hard enough time competing with PlayStation and Xbox.

Also, for the few people who think "Hey, Disney said they sold some million copies of Infinity?" Well, it true out *Shockingly* Disney lied to the public and is getting ready to lay off the Infinity project soon. Here is an official Los Angeles Times post on the topic.

Link: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ayoffs-20140203,0,4272150.story#axzz2sLDVTMM3

Seems like Disney's failures this year are endless...

A lot people thought Club Penguin was the money loss the brought down POTCO, or just wanting to put the money to "Gaming apps" like Disney stated. When in all honesty I think it was just the greed of Disney as well as the lake of "Magic" that kids and gamers where looking for in this game. Lets be honest here people, POTCO was not the best in fighting gameplay out there, was not the best in graphics or even looting which WOW has and other online games. It was the amazing community and atmosphere that hooked all us Savvy Smashbulkers to the game!

Disney I think cut off POTCO because they where putting there gaming funding into the new game Infinity expecting huge payback and to channel the money to keeping POTCO open and developing new "Apps" - Unfortunately, it was a failure seeing the game was for Wii and the gaming console itself is already having hard enough time competing with PlayStation and Xbox.

Also, for the few people who think "Hey, Disney said they sold some million copies of Infinity?" Well, it true out *Shockingly* Disney lied to the public and is getting ready to lay off the Infinity project soon. Here is an official Los Angeles Times post on the topic.

Link: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ayoffs-20140203,0,4272150.story#axzz2sLDVTMM3

Umm... no, they really did sell over 3 million starter packs, and more are being sold every day. Disney Infinity has been an overwhelming success. Your statement that DIMG was thinking that DI was going to be a huge success is false. DIMG representatives have said that they actually had low expectations for DI and they sold a LOT more than they thought they would.

If DI was such a failure then they would have pulled them off the shelves by now, I'll bet that for sure. I don;t think anyone denied either that DIMG/Disney dropped 3 MMOs to focus funding on DI either. They not only closed it for that though. Club Penguin was without a doubt another lage reason and continues to be another large reason why DIMG dropped 3 MMOs. I think we all understand that POTCO was not "THE BEST GAME AND MOST ELITE IN LOOTING AND FIGHTING EVER" I won't and haven't supported that statement and neither have any others for the most part. I think we can all agree that POTCO did not even come close. POTCO was not closed down because it was old fashioned and honestly that is not even a legitimate reason to considering that a game like Minecraft in this time and year with its pixelated graphics grew exponentially within a few years of its making. The true reasons are and were and will continue to be that DIMG/Disney was in love with Club Penguin and neglected the rest due to the extreme overseas success as well (considering Club Penguin plushes were out of stock for 3 days when it debuted in Colombia) and the cheap costs of managing it along with focusing spending on massive project known as Disney Infinity/DI. Disney may have gotten a big hit out of DI but their profits will (unfortunately) bounce back more than that given time.

Back