A Pirate's Guide To Middle Earth! - (Under Construction...)

Charles Warmonk

Wiki Staff
test-png.61889

I will am currently creating pirate's guide to playing Lord of The Rings Online. Including tips, tricks, and how simple and well put together the game really is. This will not only be a guide for gameplay, but including MANY ways you can save money before paying for the game OR how to earn the same access while playing for free! :D

Guide is going to take little more time then I expected with recent events. - Therefore, I will post and updated it daily as this draft is not completed. Please feel free to ask questions as I updated it. :)

INTRO:
Are you a pirate out of a job? Other games just not like POTCO? Still seeking that sense adventure which comes with leveling, looting, activity, guild mates, swords, legendary and more? Look no further! - I'll be explaining and showing you step by step how too take your witty, cleaver and all around savvy pirate skills to a new world! Pirates! *Kicks open door*

(WELCOME TO MIDDLE EARTH!)

Picking a class
I've put information on each class of character to explain their stats and which class would best suit you. Please read each of the following classes before starting or using this guide. If you've already picked a class skip this step.

Burglar: (Advance)
The Burglar is a classified as a stealthy fighter and advances at fighting long ranged characters. They have no range and are masters of the duel dagger wielding skills which can be one of the most powerful hits in the game if used correctly.

Captain: (Modern)
The Captain is of course, the most pirate like class and highly recommended for new players. They are mainly skilled in the use of a long sword, but can also use a ranged crossbow or bow if needed. With the ability too heal their allies and use special skills upon themselves boosting their attacks for a short time they are a good allies to have in battle!

Champion: (Basic)
The Champion is the damage king, the duel wielding swordsmen who does not let petty cuts or slashes slow him down. A worrier of battle who loves battle and strives for it close range enjoying the battle as he cuts his enemies down to size!

Guardian: (Advance)
The Guardian is the toughest and most needed characters in the game! They are so needed that the few who have mastered them alone are considered leveling masters. However, they are also the most 'boring' to play with and have no ranged skills and are low at DPS (Damage Per Second). However, their Moral(Health) compared to other classes is 4 you heard me, 4 TIMES greater health then any other class!

Hunter: (Basic)
Hunters are long ranged forest men. They carry a small sword and a heavy bow/crossbow handy dealing damage fast from afar. Their specials are to set traps, tracking for quest and are very basic to be honest.

Lore-Master: (Modern)
The Lore-Master 'My favorite class' is also one of the most needed characters in the game. They use magic and spells to slow, weaken, stun and even curse their enemies at far ranges! They also can summon pets such as birds, bears, wolfs, trees and sprits to fight their enemies as he shoots them from afar with spells! This class is also the only class with the ability to give your allies power at the cost of his own hp. Making your power attacks necessarily never ending. As well as their healing skills.

Minstrel: (Basic)
The Minstrel is basically just a long ranged light weight HEAVY healer. He can only use songs and his voice to smite down his enemies from afar range as he heals his allies. Not much more to this class besides it's incredible humor.

Rune-Keeper: (Advance)
'You have to PAY to unlock this class'
This class is basically a Lore-Master and a Captain mixed. They are very hard to master I am told and have a wide range of uses more then I can list. Cost a pretty penny though.

Warden: (Advance)
'You have to PAY to unlock this class'
The Warden is a Guardian and a Captain mixed. They are defenders of middle earth and hard though enemies in the front lines of battle. However, they also cost a pretty penny.

Basic Controls:
Here are the basic controls to LOTRO. Every single controls are COMPLETLY customizable! If you wish to change the control layout, simple go to System<Options<Key Mapping. Once their you should see the mapping options on your screen.
DefaultKeymap-1.jpg

Combat
Now for the fun part, combat! - There are many different styles and options of combat, each class having their own styles of fighting. I will go into more detail in this with other guides however for now I'll give you the simple rundown which you came here for :)

Your combat style can be changed by picking and customizing your Traits and skills. I've made a quick video to show you the types of gameplay you can choice for your character and class.

(Guide in progress...)

Last edited:
Anytime @Mark Scurvyfox -I'll start working on the guide come the 5th and should be done with most of it by the 7th. Maybe on the 8th or 9th adding more detail, imagines and examples later on and updating it daily.

Also, when someone gets some free time. I plan to ask @John Foulroberts to contribute a small informational guide on prepping your PC for the game. So you can make the most of your gaming experience while playing LOTRO. (Lag, crashing, overheating etc.)

Once the guide is posted I would love to hear feedback from experienced (Pirate) LOTRO players such as @Captain Star @Kat Five Knives and @Punkin Pie and many others.

If you have any questions or suggestions for the guide, please do not hesitate to ask them or PM me a massage at anytime.

I am not sure on what are you talking about. My computer is capable of running LOTRO, just like most of the other games I have in it as well. To be specific, I have it installed in the laptop, since it is the newest computer that I currently own - it runs the game pretty smooth in high graphics and with anti-aliasing enabled. (x4)

:reading:
lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-11-09-41.png
lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-11-24-46.png
lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-13-51-15.png

lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-11-47-82.png
lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-12-31-17.png

Attachments

• lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-06-31-94.png
    lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-06-31-94.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-06-45-92.png
    lotroclient 2014-06-03 01-06-45-92.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
I think he's referring to getting the best graphics because John has a pretty nice computer and it has very very good graphics.

PS Charles, just yell if you need me to edit your posts as you work on the guide.

I think he's referring to getting the best graphics because John has a pretty nice computer and it has very very good graphics.

PS Charles, just yell if you need me to edit your posts as you work on the guide.
Actually, I think he means something like this ...

In regards to what Charles said, you may use concepts from the above guide, or I could write something entirely different. I'll have time in a few days, so it'll be no problem if that's the route you want to go.

Correct Captain Redhore. - As most may know, he has remarkable skills and knowledge of computers and from what I've heard is skill as far as detail C+ progamming. However, I know how smooth LOTRO runs when you have a up to date computer. However, we have some pirate who are playing on computers as old as 2004. John may inform and explain what requirements you need to download the game or if you are having trouble with "Lag" and having trouble fixing it. I'll also be posting his guide to Optimizing gaming. Which he skillfully made for Pirates Online way back in said day.

Also, I give permission to ALL staff members to edit my guide without my permission. - Just be sure to send me a PM telling me what you changed after doing so. If it's just spelling/grammar correction you don't have to PM me if you don't feel like doing so.

LOL - Took the words right out of my mouth @John Foulroberts. - Take your time in writing it and work on it whenever you get free time. :)

I normally would have just made the guide myself if people just had problems downloading it. However, I've heard some pirates having problems such as freezing when they looked at water and game randomly exiting itself when using a skill and so forth. Which problems are out of my skill set sadly.

I just want pirates to have ONE go to spot for understanding LOTRO is not as intimidating as it may seem compare to our simple "Slash and loot" habits. - When pirates are having trouble before even playing is were I can't help, so this is why I requested your help in creating this if you don't mind :)

Last edited:
I am officially started working on the project. I am now talking input of what you would like me to add in detail and explain. - Sorry about my grammar the first draft I will be making it ASAP.

A few questions I see in kin/general chat from new players...

1. Which areas are best for people of different levels?
2. As a ftp player, what is the best use of limited turbine points in the store?
3. Thinking about a second character, what are the most fun classes to play?
4. What is the most useful crafting?

Make sure the guide shows people how to get the weekly coupon for free stuff in the store.

Good luck, this is a big task.

A few questions I see in kin/general chat from new players...

1. Which areas are best for people of different levels?
2. As a ftp player, what is the best use of limited turbine points in the store?
3. Thinking about a second character, what are the most fun classes to play?
4. What is the most useful crafting?

Make sure the guide shows people how to get the weekly coupon for free stuff in the store.

Good luck, this is a big task.

1. There are travel skirmishes which you can create custom levels for your group. What I like to do since I am a level 50 playing with level 40 friends is set the level bar to "45" setting. Making all the enemies level 50 therefore I get small amount of XP and my fellowship (Crew) gets to share the XP and level up FAST!
2. First "Riding skill" next "Remove gold cap" 3rd bidding slots.
3. Lore-Master by FAR is the most creative and fun! Also, easy to plays as :D
4. All depends on your class and what server you are on which I will explain all of theses in the guide :)

May take longer then I hoped though, :p

People have their own idea of a fav class to play. My first char is an 85 Lore Master, who has been semi-benched for now since I made a Captain to help start the new M&S kin. Shes 56 now and I really enjoy cappy class a lot. Rune Keeper is also an awesome class, mine's a 34 I think. Sometimes when you buy an expansion pack, a class is included in the deal, as mine was when I bought Eregion.

Back