A Softcore Geek's Hardcore Geek Question

Sparky Wonderwolf

Site Founder
Now I will say I know for a fact that in terms of Intel it goes

Everything else < i3 < i5 < i7

Something along those lines a bit more complicated obviously but I understand the general jidst of it.

I have to ask though, I can't really say what when where why and how but, what would probably be the minimal I'd want for a gaming computer system? In other words, Gamer on an Econo Budget Computer.

I've begun looking into some of it but I'm not nearly as well versed into figuring how to make it work price wise like some of y'all. I do know @Joshua_Daggerfire and @John_Foulroberts are our resident rig builder experts too but I figured I'd like to hear input from all and maybe be of some use to other users who may be thinking the same.

Some people would suggest the i3, I on the other and will not. I will explain by explaining the differences between the CPUs.

An i3 is a dual-core CPU, but it has hyperthreading, meaning it has "4" cores. Looking at the way things are going, DX12, I would not recommend this CPU.

An i5 is a quad core CPU, with no hyperthreading.

An i7 is a quad core CPU (besides the enusiast grade i7's, such as the 2011-v3 i7s.) They are also hyperthreaded, making it act like a 8 core CPU

Now, when it comes to AMD, all there CPUs are pretty much the same, just different core clocks and number of cores.

Now, for a gaming system, the GPU is the most important part, but the CPU does affect some games.

If your on a really low budget, $350-450, get the Athlon 860k, its a quad core AMD CPU, but its only $75. Next, I would suggest is the FX-6300, a 6 core CPU by AMD.

Next, I would suggest a FX-8350 or i5. This will put you around the $600-700 range.

Than, if your budget is high, I would suggest an i7

Here is a list of things that I need to know...
  • What is your budget? Ballpark is ok.
  • What kind of games are you going to be playing? Specific examples are welcomed.
  • What resolution will you be playing at? How many monitors do you want?
  • Is the computer going to be used for any other purposes other than gaming?
  • How much storage and memory do you need?

Here is a list of things that I need to know...
  • What is your budget? Ballpark is ok.
  • What kind of games are you going to be playing? Specific examples are welcomed.
  • What resolution will you be playing at? How many monitors do you want?
  • Is the computer going to be used for any other purposes other than gaming?
  • How much storage and memory do you need?
  • Budget: As cheap as you can go the less to spend the better. If I can get away with (I doubt it) $300 (maybe 100 more..?) that'd be nice.
  • What kind of games are you going to be playing? My games right now are Civ V SWTOR MC and well yeah that's it
  • Resolution and screen count doesn't matter to me. I could probably live with minimalistic aspects for this. I mean what I truly want is 188328939483 screens, we all (or most of us) do right? But I've only used a multi screen set up once. Resolution doesn't have to be ultra quality high or large.
  • I primarily use my computer stuff for as follows: Gaming, Microsoft Word/PPT/Excel, and GIMP. Maybe Skype and email..?
  • I don't know-Id say a modest amount. I mean I (before I lost this PC -.-) had a PC that was 1TB w/ Intel Core2 Quad or something like that from 07-08...? (Vista) I barely scratched the 1TB and that was actually between more than one person. I'd say 500 would suffice, maybe less?

And when it comes to the OS, if you have an old desktop, you can rip it from that, or look around greenmangaming for a cheap code. If you want to by a new OS, it will cost around $100

Here's my suggested build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bd2xBm
7f9b505f3b.png

I included an FX processor - you can use the stock heatsink it comes with, but this CPU DOES have an unlocked multiplier should you want to overclock. You'll need an aftermarket heatsink if you are planning to overclock.

I also included a 500GB Samsung SSD. The Magician software it comes with is excellent. I also included a discrete GPU - it's pretty cheap but your games aren't that intensive. The option to upgrade in the future is always present.

Also, as Joshua said, an OS will run you another $100. Linux is free, though. :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btjqZL This is a another PC I would suggest. The 6300 is a great CPU, and still pretty cheap. The GPU, a R7 360, is a great GPU, can run most modern games at 1080p, so your games will be a breeeze for it.
Also, I did go with 1TB HDD, but that is because, even though I like SSDs, they are just to expensive. A HDD is just best for budget builds, even if you arent going to be using all the memory

Last edited:
This is what I ended up coming up with... http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

To be honest, I chose the SSD/HDD combo because once you've booted your OS with an SSD then you'll never want to go back.

As for the CPU difference in the builds you've been offered prior to, I chose an Intel 3.2 because the options for OC on it are pretty great so I mean it can OC more than what you'd end up paying just to get from an AMD.

Video card-wise, 2 GB video card is all you'll need to run most of the applications you want on a pretty good quality level and on budget.

Memory-wise, 8 GB is the love of my life after upgrading from 4 GB. I can run Minecraft and SWTOR and still maintain them both without one of the applications going "not responding".

As for other parts, the PSU is added on with the case and the optical drive is for the OS install. I didn't think you were much of a "Blu-Ray" player person so I decided to go with just a simple optical drive.

I think the rest of the builds are great as well so I mean there's a lot of options that you've been given that'll be a significant (I believe) improvement over what you currently have.

This is what I ended up coming up with... http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

To be honest, I chose the SSD/HDD combo because once you've booted your OS with an SSD then you'll never want to go back.

As for the CPU difference in the builds you've been offered prior to, I chose an Intel 3.2 because the options for OC on it are pretty great so I mean it can OC more than what you'd end up paying just to get from an AMD.

Video card-wise, 2 GB video card is all you'll need to run most of the applications you want on a pretty good quality level and on budget.

Memory-wise, 8 GB is the love of my life after upgrading from 4 GB. I can run Minecraft and SWTOR and still maintain them both without one of the applications going "not responding".

As for other parts, the PSU is added on with the case and the optical drive is for the OS install. I didn't think you were much of a "Blu-Ray" player person so I decided to go with just a simple optical drive.

I think the rest of the builds are great as well so I mean there's a lot of options that you've been given that'll be a significant (I believe) improvement over what you currently have.
Not trying to be rude, but we can't see your build cause you copied the wrong link :p
1bOOjrE.png

This build includes an OS, a disk drive, and a decent GPU that has GDDR5.

The reason I dont choose intel is because Dual Core CPUs are something I would never recommend anymore. Maybe a year or 2 ago, but not today. And, in my opinion, SSDs just arent meant for budget builds, even if they do provide a fast boot, but they do not affect FPS performance in games.

Heres the build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f8wFD3

I apologize for being mute on this thread but I sincerely appreciate the build suggestions and will likely take up one of them once I get around to purchasing since as of recent I need to keep money tight and closer than my friends and enemies. For some reason notification never came through too :confused: but appreciate y'all.

If you havent gone out and bought all the parts, I have another build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TF4cXL

CPU: As much as I dont like dual-core CPUs, the i3 is good enough for now, and its hyperthreaded, so it acts like 4 cores. And, if you wanna a better CPU, upgrading will always be an option

GPU: The 250x is a pretty good GPU, especially when on a budget.

RAM: 8GB is the usual nowadays, and its easy to upgrade to 16 whenever you want

HD: This 1TB HDD is the best for budget builds.

Back