Suggestion A Way to Combat Freeloaders?

Padaun

Pirate
Hello,

So I'm on fall break and have a lot of downtime during which I can play on TLOPO, which is great fun as always. But one thing that has really bothered me is the rampant freeloading going on on ships. For those unaware, freeloading is when someone boards a ship then promptly goes AFK for the duration of the trip, contributing nothing to the ship and her crew, taking up a slot for someone who would have actually helped the ship and deserved all of the rewards from doing so.

I took my own War Brig, Dark Fury, out for a couple runs this evening and encountered the same freeloader not once but twice; he joined my ship just after I launched, and sat, unmoving as we were porting, hull full of goodies. He didn't move a muscle, and yet was given a great reward. I commented that perhaps he should play like an actual player might, and he didn't even get around to responding until we were about to port, and even then he had nothing constructive to say (some of it bordered on taunting me. Boo!)

The Idea:
Now, I'm no game dev, and so I haven't the slightest idea as to how difficult something like this would actually be, but my thought is to not restrict the captain of a ship being able to boot members of the crew to privateering ships only, but rather extend that to all ships. I imagine it's more complicated than a simple string checking to see whether or not the ship is a privateering ship before administering a kick from the captain, so I understand if this would be more trouble than it's worth. However, as a disgruntled ship captain, it's something I would very much appreciate seeing. If nothing else, I would like a reason why this wouldn't work so I at least understand why it wouldn't.

Naturally, however, this would prohibit ships without the owner aboard (which, while uncommon, can and does happen) from booting unhelpful crew members.

As such, it may be another idea to look into to the future (this one would require a lot more work) implementing a vote-kick system to ships' crews, where one member can begin a vote to kick a certain member, and any member of the crew who agrees can also vote to kick them. When the majority of crewmates vote in the affirmative, the member of the crew will be teleported automatically to their last Port of Call.

Let me know what you folks think.It's something that's been brewing on my mind for a while, something I've mentioned to various crews I've sailed with and has largely been agreed upon as a feature they'd like to see. Thanks for reading!

TL;DR
Freeloaders are bad :(
Let's get a way to kick them off

I think the developers already have an idea to stop freeloaders but I believe freeloaders only get gold if they board a ship that's about to port

I think the developers already have an idea to stop freeloaders but I believe freeloaders only get gold if they board a ship that's about to port

So as a minimum they can get a few thousand gold. That's still too much for someone who hasn't contributed, but I'm more talking about the people that are there from the start AFKing on your ship, who are there the whole time and get all of the goodies that they didn't help work towards.

There are many threads already up about this.

To summarize them:
On one hand, a kicking system would greatly reduce freeloading.

On the other hand, captains could just kick everyone off of their ship when they are about to port and make it so only they get loot.

There are many threads already up about this.

To summarize them:
On one hand, a kicking system would greatly reduce freeloading.

On the other hand, captains could just kick everyone off of their ship when they are about to port and make it so only they get loot.

Your second point is nulled. Since booting everyone before porting would be considered inappropriate behaviour which is an offence.

And as such can be punished. If the game log will give you a message you have been booted by PLAYERNAME.

You can file a report. The bad apples would get picked out and removed.

Every time I see the mention of abuse people don't think it through that it could be rule breaking and thus punishable. It would also be viewed back in the logs.

Your second point is nulled. Since booting everyone before porting would be considered inappropriate behaviour which is an offence.

And as such can be punished. If the game log will give you a message you have been booted by PLAYERNAME.

Every time I see the mention of abuse people don't think it through that it could be rule breaking and thus punishable. It would also be viewed back in the logs.
But why is that abuse? If the system is set up so that as the captain they have the power to kick whoever they want, why are they then being prohibited from kicking whoever they want?

Doesn't stop them from booting people in svs to be honest..

So as a minimum they can get a few thousand gold. That's still too much for someone who hasn't contributed, but I'm more talking about the people that are there from the start AFKing on your ship, who are there the whole time and get all of the goodies that they didn't help work towards.
Well for now you can either solo or get a crew beforehand

I think a method that might work if it can be implemented in the game and automated would be based on an infraction system where once a player is reported by fellow pirates, it can be determined if they have been active on the ship or have been afk, etc. If after a certain number of reported and game-verified infractions (say 10 times), the player gets a ban for say 24 hours. If the player continues to get reported, the ban time increases accordingly, say 3 days, etc.
Basically the concept in theory is that when a player is observed as afk on a ship, other players can make a "report". The time of the report would coincide with their afk status, which is potentially verifiable (or could be). Now, the afk pirate is "on alert", or being monitored by the game. If after several more minutes the pirate is still afk, they are transported off the ship. If the pirate does this repeatedly, or perhaps 10 times in a month, they get a ban, etc.
Now of course there are times when someone might need to go afk on a ship, or at least that's what some people claim. In those instances, since the pirate was only transported off after a period of time (see the 10 minute concept above), then if they come back to the game, they can easily board the ship once more, etc.
The purpose of this method is to single out and deal with unfair players who repeatedly abuse the ability to board ships and do absolutely nothing.

My solution to avoid freeloaders is find an active guild and sail as a group or try to meet more friends and don’t open your ship to public.
Are there any sailing heavy guilds on this new game. Notorious was great about working together back in the day.

AFK never bother me a bit , unless They are sitting on a cannon. Just port and relaunch. With the people you’ve crewed. It’s not complicated.

Lets set some things straight here.

1. The game isn't "huge". The ability to boot someone off is very bad, especially since sometimes there may be only one or two good ships public.

2. A lot of times I will go mostly afk because there are so many people on a ship and captains generally like to pick one side of a ship for everyone to be on. Cannons on that side are 90+% of the time full on a full boarded ship. What would you like me to do then? Run in circles? Shoot at the pretty water on the opposite useless broadside? I get that I can repair, but that's not all the time. There are times where I will have nothing to do and will be "afk" because of it. So going by the system, I could be kicked right? Yes.

3. A vote kick system CAN still be abused if even two friends on that ship rally people to vote yes. It's not that hard.

4. This is tlopo. It's not an esports game or something. Chances are if someone afks, it doesn't really matter TOO MUCH. If you have a few afkers, you're still gonna have some people wanting to cannon. And going back to number 2 on my list, some have no choice to in situations. If you remove the afk'ers, you will still have the same outcome, either less players or players in a useless spot on a ship.

5. Suck it up. Add the people who were active from your run, bring them back and close your ship from public after. Easy right? That even works if you dont have a guild, but having a guild can help.

Tlopo is supposed to be a relaxed friendly game, I dont want a feature introduced that can be abused even if you make vote modifications to it. Besides, if they actually are afk.. by the time you relaunch and they come back to your ship, you already have loot and they only get gold which isnt much. I think that system is fine already. If they instantly come on and stand there, then they aren't "afk". There may be a multitude of reasons, for example being max cannon and wanting loot, but at the same time giving others opportunity.
And I do understand some may still be actual freeloading, but tbh it's not a big deal.

Back