Add the old sky texture to TLOPO

Part of this issue is Disney used palettes for a TON of textures.. so one texture might contain 10 other textures for other things. A prime example of this would be the exterior walls of common buildings, the different types of hulls on ships, almost every single thing you see in make-a-pirate(yes, that was seriously all crammed onto into file).

If you take a look at Toontown Online's English version vs Toontown Online's Japanese/French version, you can immediately see the quality differences. Toontown Japan/France did not use palettes where Toontown Online did. There might've been other Toontown versions that didn't use palettes, however those two are the only that I know of.

I'm kinda hoping there's an early version of pirates that didn't use palettes, so far I haven't found one. It'd improve so much of the graphics of the game.

Here's the a palette that contains about 99% of everything you see as your immediate in-game GUI.

58a4fc65bce547dd975e81234c835b16.png

This is the palette of everything you see on the avatar chooser.
06984505d32e4c74dad32c8dbb9bc5e9.png

This is the palette for some ship stuff:
e096ae9240edc79ed13abaa288f665d9.png
Yep. I remember seeing all of those whilst going through the phase files. I suppose it's easier to use a "sprite" of sorts instead of individual files...

Yep. I remember seeing all of those whilst going through the phase files. I suppose it's easier to use a "sprite" of sorts instead of individual files...

On the Gamecube game, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Factor 5 (the developer) used a large sprite for the Death Star II on the battle over Endor level. It was very high quality, and they did it to help with performance issues.

This is definitely the wrong thread, but since we are on the subject of "older potco".

Does anyone remember when you could shoot through the sails on the ships? There would literally be holes in the sails. It looked so cool to see holes in the sails. Not sure why they took that out of the game..
You should make a new thread about this, but that is a very good point

This is definitely the wrong thread, but since we are on the subject of "older potco".

Does anyone remember when you could shoot through the sails on the ships? There would literally be holes in the sails. It looked so cool to see holes in the sails. Not sure why they took that out of the game..

I remember you were also able to break people's sails if you shot them with grappling shot or something of the like so then they'd start to lose speed. That was always great for when taking on bigger ships while you're in a sloop or something.

I remember you were also able to break people's sails if you shot them with grappling shot or something of the like so then they'd start to lose speed. That was always great for when taking on bigger ships while you're in a sloop or something.
Aye, I remember that. Using Chain Shot was the "most effective" way to take down the sails and reduce their speed.

Yep, I remember being able to put holes in the sails, and also being able to put holes in the hulls of other player's ships. I also remember whenever you shot a ship or got shot, there would be a big explosion of planks and wood. I miss that feature as well!

Are these updates only for alpha or will they be live in the final product? (The Sky changer and fancy screen loader)

Are these updates only for alpha or will they be live in the final product? (The Sky changer and fancy screen loader)
The screen loader already works perfectly fine, so it will most likely be in the full release. Unless the sky changer is very buggy (which I doubt), it will most likely be in full release too.

You know what would be nice, remember when you would have taken critical damage to your hull back in the old stages of POTCO and black smoke comes out . It was replaced with white invisible smoke, and a different fire re-texture. I hope in TLOPO you would implement the Old Fire and Black Smoke.

Pictures:
8176c97bedd6a47991217a0e0be52fee.png

C5A8hSp.jpg

Also, I accidentally did something wrong earlier. Sky 3 is an entirely different sky which frankly is scary:

6ec20c0a0f495bc21f9cddf3fe239389.png
I may be the only one with this opinion, but I actually like that red sky. I feel like it could be used for invasions (where it'd alternate between the green/black sky and the red one) or something. I know it could be used for something...I don't know. I just feel like we could put that to good use.

I began playing Pirates of the Caribbean Online at the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009. So for a little while, I played in the old world of PotCO. The changes happened a few weeks after I deleted my original Jack Truesilver pirate, after I'd completed the basic member access portion of the Black Pearl Quest. (I felt like playing as a basic member was pointless if I couldn't complete the quest. I didn't realize how many other options I had, being a child at the time. Deeply regretted it later.) Anyways, for about six months I experienced the old world, and just when I started finding my way around the Caribbean, they changed everything. I hardly remember the old world, as most of my PotCO experience occurred after the updates and all the way to the game's end.
But that old world was something else, man, from whatever I can recall from memory. Loved it.

Sorry, I may be drifting away from the subject matter a little bit, but I just had something to say.

I may be the only one with this opinion, but I actually like that red sky. I feel like it could be used for invasions (where it'd alternate between the green/black sky and the red one) or something. I know it could be used for something...I don't know. I just feel like we could put that to good use.

I began playing Pirates of the Caribbean Online at the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009. So for a little while, I played in the old world of PotCO. The changes happened a few weeks after I deleted my original Jack Truesilver pirate, after I'd completed the basic member access portion of the Black Pearl Quest. (I felt like playing as a basic member was pointless if I couldn't complete the quest. I didn't realize how many other options I had, being a child at the time. Deeply regretted it later.) Anyways, for about six months I experienced the old world, and just when I started finding my way around the Caribbean, they changed everything. I hardly remember the old world, as most of my PotCO experience occurred after the updates and all the way to the game's end.
But that old world was something else, man, from whatever I can recall from memory. Loved it.

Sorry, I may be drifting away from the subject matter a little bit, but I just had something to say.
Use it on the rumored Jolly Roger island if that ever happens lol

I was thinking that when I commented, but I didn't know if it was worth bringing up, as the decision is still in question and...yeah...
But nothing would make me happier than a Jolly Roger Island. I mean, that's like Raven's Cove cubed or something crazy like that.
Yeah I don't know if that idea has any future either but if it does, that'd be years away

These screen-caps are from the legendary Through the Jinsai Youtube series. The files for these skies are likely lost as I estimate this game play is from late 2007 or early 2008, but I personally never remember the sky being this beautiful and detailed. The glittering night sky is stunning, and the sunsets are absolutely breathtaking.

Capture20.PNG
Capture24.PNG
Capture21.PNG
Capture22.PNG

These screen-caps are from the legendary Through the Jinsai Youtube series. The files for these skies are likely lost as I estimate this game play is from late 2007 or early 2008, but I personally never remember the sky being this beautiful and detailed. The glittering night sky is stunning, and the sunsets are absolutely breathtaking.

View attachment 66542 View attachment 66545 View attachment 66543 View attachment 66544
Unbelievable...the skies are just...astounding. Who wouldn't keep these versions for the game? I'm dumbfounded that they weren't used.

View attachment 66542 View attachment 66545 View attachment 66543 View attachment 66544
I honestly feel like those are edited because I know Jinsai did edit some of her videos.. and I don't remember ever seeing it that vibrant either. But if that's real, I'm amazed. Regardless, I would love to see the sky look this good some day

Back