Ahoy, I'm The Original Liz (from early POTCO, mostly SVSers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many old players recognize me when they see me sailing Fugitive Fox. If I say so myself, I was among the better captains in SVS for a time. Then Disney started introducing changes like different types of cannon ammo (it just to be just cannon balls) and there were lots of glitches that hindered fairness in the game.

I'm actually a middle aged dad, my pirate Liz is/was named after my middle daughter who liked to watch me sail.

I'm a 35 year IT veteran, much of that centered around software development. I was a programmer for the Army, UPS and a highly regulated laboratory, and a development manager for two of those. So I can get pretty critical at times about POTCO (and now TLOPO)'s approach. They are famed for bugs, which was unacceptable in the worlds where I managed development. In my worlds, deploying software was done at low usage times so as not to risk interfering with the users (players), there was always a requirement to be able to roll-back to a previous version if there were problems, and most of all, regression testing was required (making sure your new changes don't cause other new bugs by testing everything else.)

So if you see me grousing about TLOPO, that's where I'm coming from. Free or not, game or business, there's still no reason you can't approach your development and deployments with some orderliness.

My guild was Honorable Ones and we prided ourselves in being kind and respectful. We were also pretty good at SVS.

Liz,

Welcome to the forums. I do not know if you are aware, but TLOPO is looking for additional developers. I understand your frustration, and if you would like to help staff with the game and offer your valuable insight, you can apply for a position here:

I look forward to seeing you on the high seas.

Liz,

Welcome to the forums. I do not know if you are aware, but TLOPO is looking for additional developers.

Appreciate the reach-out Cara, however my coding days are behind me. I am a consultant helping companies to mature their SDLC and compliance practices. My wager is you need that more than you need coders, and I might be willing to give that pro bono if there was sincere interest.

Liz,

Welcome to the forums. I do not know if you are aware, but TLOPO is looking for additional developers. I understand your frustration, and if you would like to help staff with the game and offer your valuable insight, you can apply for a position here:

I look forward to seeing you on the high seas.

Just thought I'd pop a repeat reply here in case you missed it -- and since there have been 6 releases in 10 days. Your team is killing itself and could have been much farther down the road but for a lack of best practices. Your choice.

Liz- not sure if that was directed at me per say- but just to clarify, I am not staff, but the staff works for free and pays for the servers etc... out of pocket. A great deal of them are 20-somethings, college students, doing what they can with what little free time they have. We should be grateful they are keeping up with the game, or else we wouldn't be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back