Weapons Attack Stat (Bugged?)

TLDR at the bottom

For the past couple of days I have been farming Remington for an obnoxiously large amount of time in search of Mercers and I have noticed something pretty disheartening.

For all I know this could be common knowledge that this feature is broken but I haven't heard any such thing and other players I had test this also were unaware of this. It appears that the 'Attack' stat on weapons has either no effect at all or a very inconsequential effect on damage. This means that 2 weapons of the same type no matter the rarity or the attack stat are doing very very similar damage

Furthermore it appears that weapon type has a bigger effect on damage than the attack stat does. I compared a few different weapons together to come to this conclusion after noticing this trend while farming Remington on my own.

The first set I noticed it on was the difference between the Thunderspine Sword and Dutchman's Pestilence
latest

latest

As you can see Thunderspine Sword has an Attack stat of 11 points more than the Dutchman's Pestilence. Just by looking at these two weapon cards one would assume that Thunderspine Sword would do more damage as it has the same Critical Strike ability and a higher attack damage and a +3 Thrust Boost skill (This was tested without activating Blood Fire). This appears to be incorrect, the Dutchman's Pestilence consistently out damaged the Thunderspine Sword by nearly 1000k damage each combo.

I also considered the fact that the damage numbers displayed may be incorrect so I timed the amount of time it took me to kill Remington (I made he was the same level for these tests) and the results seemed to support the fact that the broadsword was doing more damage than the cutlass consistently.

At this point I spoke with a guild member who had the Behemoth Blade. He decided to do some testing of his own and he discovered that an Engraved Cutlass was only just barely being out damaged by his Behemoth Blade
latest

latest

I decided to take the test a step even further and compare the Damage of my Thunderspine Sword against a broadsword with drastically lower stats.

latest

Then I found out something that was incredibly depressing. This silly 0 Attack Tree branch was doing more damage than my Thunderspine Sword (barring Critical Strikes )

So heres some of the conclusions I have drawn if this is NOT a bug (which i sincerely hope that it is.)

1. the 'Attack' Stat is a flat amount of extra damage added to the range of damage listed on the weapon skill e.g.: Thrusts damage =(Skill damage range)+(Attack Stat)
  2. There is no form of multiplier for the damage added by the attack stat and what actually matters is the weapon type e.g.: Thrusts damage = (skill damage range) + (attack stat) x (weapon type modifier)

I really hate the idea that this might be how this actually works because it makes weapons damage nearly irrelevant to weapon quality. This means legendary items (outside of a couple examples that have really strong abilities setups e.g. mercers pistol) are incredibly less significant and valuable than they appear to be.

This means that when looking at the value of items its the abilities and weapon type that solely carry the weapons value, so all of the legendary 'Gem Curse' Sabre's have next to no value as even with really high damage numbers they will always be out preformed by even basic tier cutlasses as none of their abilities stand out as particularity strong.

If this is the way the mechanic is supposed to work I strongly suggest a change in this by adding legitimate scaling to the weapon abilities

e.g for a simple example lets say Thrust as a 1.5 attack scaling and a base damage of 100 while using. The formula would then look something like this Thrust Damage = 100+1.5*(Attack Stat)

This gives a lot more utility to all of the weapons kills and actually makes the attack stat on weapons mean something.

I would like to hear the communities thoughts on this and maybe a response from the Devs clearing up if this is the way it is intended to work or if this is a bug.

TLDR: Weapon 'Attack Stat' seems to not have any significant affect on damage. Weapon type appears to affect damage. I don't know if this is a bug currently or the way it is intended to work, if it is working as intended I have included a suggestion to make the Stat useful.

It's my understanding that the attack stat does change the damage of weapons and is not a useless stat. In the recent past each attack number of any given weapon increased the damage by 0.5%. So a weapon with 90 attack will boost a weapons damage by 45%. Broadswords and cutlasses have also done the same base damage in the past, although broadswords deal the damage much faster so I'm not too surprised that you found that Thunderspine had a lower DPS than Dutchman's Pestilence.
If what you found is true, I would venture to say something there is bugged and not working as intended for sure.

Back