Best way to train skills

mnoy001

Buccaneer
I have a question, once the game releases and we can permanently begin training our pirates, what is the best way to train skills? (sword, guns, staffs, ect...) Should one atempt to max out 1 skill at a time or is it better to level up skills together? Thanks ye bloomin cockroaches!!

Cannon: Get light sloop, put some points into basic shot, find strongest patrolling ship Behemoth or EITC Juggernauts hit it once get away from it and then shoot it from afar at max cannon range until it dies if it gets too close keep moving your ship further back, this can be done solo if you pilot the ship and then hop on cannon

Sailing: Kill with broadsides. There's no trick to this one just need a really strong ship.

Gun: Find high level living enemies use Silver shot, Find high level undead use Steel shot, or the best way since those are high level is use basic shot no take aim and use a weak gun, more hits to kill longer to kill but nearly double XP

Sword: use Sabre only. More hits lower damage same time to kill means higher XP. Weak Sabre will give more XP because even MORE time to kill

Dagger: Throwing knives similar in concept to Sabre

Grenade: There's no real efficient trick to leveling up grenade. Best way is the moment you get grenades go to Kingshead behind the white fence in the marching yard, so that you are still close to their level range when your training grenade so that you still get good XP from it.

Voodoo Doll: Best way to level voodoo doll is just to kill with it, There's no special technique that I'm aware of with it.

Voodoo Staff: using Blast to kill or using weaker staff skills to kill can yield much more XP, but with a longer time to kill. A lot of XP in the game is based on how many hits to kill

Potions: No actual trick have to max it out the normal way

Fishing: Try to get the fish that weigh more but other then that there's no gimmick to level faster

Notoriety: I believe there used to be a tattoo parlor glitch that you could do forever and each time you would drop and re-aquire the quest it would give you 1000XP don't remember if they ever fixed it don't think so.

Cannon: Get light sloop, put some points into basic shot, find strongest patrolling ship Behemoth or EITC Juggernauts hit it once get away from it and then shoot it from afar at max cannon range until it dies if it gets too close keep moving your ship further back, this can be done solo if you pilot the ship and then hop on cannon

Sailing: Kill with broadsides. There's no trick to this one just need a really strong ship.

Gun: Find high level living enemies use Silver shot, Find high level undead use Steel shot, or the best way since those are high level is use basic shot no take aim and use a weak gun, more hits to kill longer to kill but nearly double XP

Sword: use Sabre only. More hits lower damage same time to kill means higher XP. Weak Sabre will give more XP because even MORE time to kill

Dagger: Throwing knives similar in concept to Sabre

Grenade: There's no real efficient trick to leveling up grenade. Best way is the moment you get grenades go to Kingshead behind the white fence in the marching yard, so that you are still close to their level range when your training grenade so that you still get good XP from it.

Voodoo Doll: Best way to level voodoo doll is just to kill with it, There's no special technique that I'm aware of with it.

Voodoo Staff: using Blast to kill or using weaker staff skills to kill can yield much more XP, but with a longer time to kill. A lot of XP in the game is based on how many hits to kill

Potions: No actual trick have to max it out the normal way

Fishing: Try to get the fish that weigh more but other then that there's no gimmick to level faster

Notoriety: I believe there used to be a tattoo parlor glitch that you could do forever and each time you would drop and re-aquire the quest it would give you 1000XP don't remember if they ever fixed it don't think so.
nvm just realised you said that to try and get more hits im stupid :p

I have a question, once the game releases and we can permanently begin training our pirates, what is the best way to train skills? (sword, guns, staffs, ect...) Should one atempt to max out 1 skill at a time or is it better to level up skills together? Thanks ye bloomin cockroaches!!
Since the dev's goal is to make tlopo as close as possible to potco, I would just look up some videos on yt the best way to level up/grind.

I personally think it's best to level up skills together, at least somewhat. That way you'll be a well-rounded pirate. Alternatively, you could level up one weapon and then work on others, in order to give yourself a health boost since you'll be working with weaker weapons for the rest.

I personally expect to just work on my favorites as I unlock them, taking some time to catch up on other weapons as needed so I can stay somewhat well-rounded.

I spent a lot of time looking for efficient ways to do it. heres the most efficient that i can remember off the top of my head.

Personally I would max out your sword skill first as it's one of the most useful trees giving you increased max health which is important for later leveling.
Using broadswords on large groups of enemies (I.E the navy cadets at kingshead or any room in tormenta)

Fishing of the easier skills to max out because all of the XP amounts are set. size and weight only effects gold income from fish. so you can target specific fish, heres the highest grossing fish for XP by level and fishing rod
Levels 1-5: Anthias(red fish) 50 rep, Grouper (weird pale fish) 35 rep, Hatchet fish(zombie fish) 30 rep

The next tier is significantly easier as all of the fish besides the Parrot fish, Lion fish, and Tuna all give 100+ hp so i will only list the highest 3 Xp grossing fish here. However you will need to rent a boat to get many of these fish to appear in decent numbers or at all in the case of the highest Xp fish. This rod upgrade is 1k gold

Levels 5-15(with rod upgrade 1): Dragon fish 200 rep, Black Chimera (long zombie fish) 150 rep, Barracuda & Wolfish 100 rep

Luckily in this tier there is only one fish that really gives sub par xp for what you need to progress and that fish is the Coelacanth which gives 60 rep. Just as before if you aren't on a boat you will have a problem finding these fish This rod upgrade is 10k gold. It's also worth pointing out all of the fish in this teir give a decent amount of gold besides the afore mentioned Coelacanth

Levels 15-20(with rod upgrade 2): Megamouth (zombie dino fish) 300 rep, Lump fish 275 rep, Angler (stubby zombie fish) 250 rep.

Potions:
Unfortunately this skill will be awful. Like really awful. Even if you enjoy the minigame it is horribly slow to progress in. The best way to level them up is to stay on port royal and keep making the swift foot potions and unlocking the next tier. I could write a whole guide alone on xp values of different ingredients and methods to solve this quickly but it is to much to write here.

The Voodoo Staff, Grenades: These skills are relatively easy. Again just as the sword you should focus groups of enemies. Kingshead is especially good for this as you can get large groups and at higher levels Kill them all in one shot. find a group of enemies and go to town using wither and the basic grenade until you get the level 20 big grenade.

The voodoo doll: The voodoo doll is pretty much preference You can do groups of enemies again like before, or you can get with a group of friends with a high attunment voodoo doll and heal them as they fight. both methods are pretty effective as long as you are consistent with downing enemies

The gun: I was never a fan of the gun. It takes a long time to level up. using a blunderbuss so that you can kill enemies very quickly is your best bet for this one It may just be that i have forgotten how i did it. but the best i can remember is using the log glitch in the 3 thrall room in tormenta and grinding it out.

Sailing and Cannon: These are two of my favorite skills to level up. And luckily they will level up quite a bit just by questing. All i can say with this one is have fun with it. The more damage you do to a ship the more rep you will get for the ship for both skills. If you are sailing try to aggro the ship and sail in front of it so you can continuously damage the broadsides. if you are on cannon Take out the sails first then break all the hulls for maximum XP gain.

The dagger: As with the gun there is no super fast way to increase this skill so you'll just have to stick with it. Throwing knives should grant the most experience if memory serves.

Thats about it really. You just have to stay Persistent its never going to be the fastest. If people are intrested once the game comes out and I can go back once more and discover optimal locations per level and strategy for the best rep gain i will make a full guide that goes much farther in depth than this one does. This is completely off my memory besides the fishing information. all of that is recent and backed up by the wiki. So theres bound to be a few mistakes in here somewhere

Last edited:
you gotta tell me what log glitch haha, I never seen that one before.
I think it was patched near the end of the games life but if you took aggro of all 3 enemies you could run to the back of the room where there is a fallen log and jump over it and if you did it correctly the enemies would get stuck on the log and you could just kill them with ranged weapons without getting hit

In my opinion, I just go with whatever I feel like using during quests and then individually level up each of my weapons afterwards. It's up to you though! :)

The best is to train them together, or as I did it, one day sword, the other day pistol and so. Or a bit with the pistol a bit sword and so on... :D

Back