Idea Black Market

Qarzan

Buccaneer
Honestly I'm not entirely sure if this is a good idea, but this could be an alternative or even an addition to trading (even though I'd prefer that more). This is actually my friend's idea, I just tweaked it slightly.

So the Black Market would be a place under a tent that appears in Tortuga, Raven's Cove, and Cuba for the first 4 days of each month, from midnight to midnight for whatever timezone the game is in. There would be a certain amount of rules and characteristics:

1. You must be at least level 20 to enter the black market.

2. Players level 20-29 may only buy items up to rare quality, and may only trade ships up to regular quality.

3. Players level 30-39 may only buy items up to famed quality, and may trade any sort of ship in the game (up to War Brig).

4. Players level 40 and above may buy any item, with the only exception being "special items" (such as those redeemed through code).

5. Players at any level may sell any item other than ones that cannot be sold at all.

6. A straight sale would require you to spend 20% of what you are selling it for for gold (for example, if you wish to sell the Lost Sword of El Patron for 50,000 gold, you must pay 10,000 gold to put it there). These are first come first serve.

7. An auction, which would require 10% of the initial value to be spent, and players can increase the bet from there. The player with the highest bet would get the item, and betting would end either 24 hours after the last player made the highest bet or when the black market closes, whichever comes first.

8. There will be no refunds to either, as the initial price paid is there to discourage players from selling crude items for 100k just for the heck of it. You may withdraw an item from purchase, but you will not get the gold back. You may withdraw an item from auction unless someone has already betted on it, in which case you are OUT OF LUCK.

9. Occasionally an admin would put out a very rare and impossible to acquire item (such as a Ship of the Line) out for sale, and it would be an auction. You could only find these at the black market, and if you do manage to acquire one, you cannot re-sell it at the black market (although you could in-game).

10. You may not put any items up for sale or auction the last 3 hours that the market is open, but you may still buy or participate in auctions for items.

11. If an item is still on the market after it closes on the fourth day, it is sent back to the seller without a refund for the initial purchase. If their inventory is full, they are reimbursed for the actual cost of the item in-game (or in case of a ship, the sell price).

12. Not really a feature of the black market, but the room would be effectively a separate building from the rest of the island, and would play bar/tavern music.

Only concern is the auction system, when the bet reaches 200k, that's it. For such a system to be viable, the gold limit would need to be increased, and I don't think a doubling would suffice. Either a limit of one million, or the 32-bit unsigned limit (which is about 4.3 billion).

Only concern is the auction system, when the bet reaches 200k, that's it. For such a system to be viable, the gold limit would need to be increased, and I don't think a doubling would suffice. Either a limit of one million, or the 32-bit unsigned limit (which is about 4.3 billion).
Oh yeah forgot to include that, I would say the gold cap should be something like 5m-10m. Big number, but there's no reason not to have it I guess. A BILLION might be too much though.

I only brought up 4.3 billion because it's possible the game uses 32-bit integers to keep track of our gold count, and 4.3 billion, or more accurately, 4,294,967,295 is the limit (2^32-1). Can't be using a 16-bit number as that caps out at 65,535.

But enough programming talk, an increased gold limit should be easy to implement, because I can safely bet that there is a line of code somewhere that reads: if (gold >= 200000) {gold = 200000} This would only require two changes to these numbers, plus some possible code that checks for overflows, which requires storing the most recent value (which is why I don't think it would be the 32-bit integer limit).

its a cool idea but only 4 days out of them month would be ridiculous. if they didnt want it everyday, make it every other day or even third, but 4 out of 30/31 just isnt enough for it to be lucrative

its a cool idea but only 4 days out of them month would be ridiculous. if they didnt want it everyday, make it every other day or even third, but 4 out of 30/31 just isnt enough for it to be lucrative
Maybe it could just switch location every 4 days/week or so, the in-game justification being the Navy being vigilant to shut down the market, and the actual reason being to freshen up the market and keep it from being cluttered with months old items. For example it might move from Cuba to Raven's Cove after 4 days and everything would reset. Or if that's too short of a time, a week would also be good.

Back