BUKKIT PROJECT: Closed or not?

Greetings all,

It seems there has been some rather startling news regarding the popular development/modding platform Bukkit. EvilSeph (Bukkit's team lead) on the Bukkit forums released an announcement that Bukkit's development was to be halted due to permission/licensing issues with Mojang, as well as the new implementation of Minecraft's EULA.

You can read EvilSeph's post here:
When we first set out to add our personal touch to what hMod offered the community 3 and a half years ago, none of us foresaw the success the Bukkit project would end up having. From a rocky start that wasn't of our own making (hMod suddenly disappeared without warning while we were just starting up the project, leaving us ill-prepared to fill the void left over), we stepped up to the challenge and managed to put together a usable, respectable alternative to other server mods. We even went so far as to improve on the Minecraft server itself. I can proudly and confidently say that Bukkit was and is a success: not only were we able to provide a platform for hundreds of thousands of Developers to build upon and make use of, we were also frequently providing our Server Admins with peace of mind knowing that the latest exploits and security holes were addressed in a timely and responsible manner.

From the get go we were plagued with issues and obstacles we needed to overcome, one of which we were sadly unable to tackle despite our best efforts: the legal barrier of licensing and permission. When starting the Bukkit project and even getting involved with hMod before that, we all knew that our work - no matter how well-intentioned - fell into a dangerous legal grey area. As such, my first priority at the start was to do things right: contact Mojang to try and get permission to continue on with the project and discuss our licensing. Unfortunately, while we did get into contact with Mojang and managed to have a chat with Notch and Jeb themselves (who have said that they don't like our methods but understand that there isn't any alternative and are thus fine with what we were and are doing), we never did get an official meeting with their business side to get legally sound permission to continue as we were and were unable to sort out our licensing issues. To this day we find our project in limbo with a half-applied license some could argue is invalid and little power on our end to do anything about the situation.

With that realisation came a nagging unease at the back of our minds that at any point in time Mojang could decide they didn't like what we were doing and shut us down - something we were all expecting for the first year or so of the project's life but, to our surprise, never occurred. Naturally, Mojang's conscious decision to not take action on our project gave us the confidence to continue on (something which I'm sure Server Admins out there can relate to given the recent, sudden and unexpected EULA enforcement) and we even later got further confirmation from Notch himself that we were and are allowed to keep proceeding as we always had.

Fast forward to more recent times and Mojang have made the abrupt and sudden decision to start enforcing their EULA in an effort to quell the outlook of Minecraft being pay to win. While I can completely understand where they are coming from and support their mission to shut down pay to win servers, it's difficult to be supportive of their abrupt turn-around with enforcing rules they consciously decided not to enforce since the start of Minecraft. On top of this, there are also clauses - which it would be irresponsible of us not to be aware of - within the now suddenly enforced EULA that directly affect the Bukkit project.

Most notably: "The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we've made". While the EULA does go on to try and clarify what is meant by "anything we've made", I feel that it only serves to confuse the situation even more so. At the end of the day, it seems that Mojang can determine what is a "mod, plugin or hack" of their game on the fly and their recent abrupt turn-around on enforcing the EULA has us understandably worried. Couple this with the fact that it isn't legally viable or acceptable to enforce the EULA piecemeal and our future is clear.

At this point in time, I think it's safe to say that it's no longer worth it for us to put up a fight when it comes to keeping Bukkit and modding alive. With large and significant changes coming in Minecraft 1.8 that we'll be hard pressed to provide support for and the lack of support from Mojang with updates since acquiring our original core team (Mojang used to provide us with mappings to speed up the update process), there is little motivation for us to continue limping on across various aspects of the project. From a project management standpoint, it's become increasingly difficult to find willing and able individuals to help out the project on a purely voluntary basis due to people losing interest in Minecraft or people looking for something more. Simply put, this was ultimately the final nail in the coffin.

Nonetheless, no one can deny that we've had a fantastic run as a project. This is due in no small part to the support we received and continue to receive from both the Minecraft community and the many companies and organisations that have graciously chosen to support us with a ridiculous amount of resources, infrastructure and backing - far more than we could have ever asked for. No amount of words can adequately express the gratitude we have for all our sponsors who have supported us through our journey and ensured Bukkit had the infrastructure required to be the vast success it is today. To list all of what these sponsors have done for us would be a post equal in length to this one, so we will unfortunately need to keep it brief. We want to give huge shout-outs and thanks to: eXophase.com for getting us off our feet and hosting us at the start; Multiplay and Curse for swooping in and providing us with (emergency) hosting we continue to use to this day including dl.bukkit.org and our BukkitDev service; as well as AllGamer for providing us test servers whenever we needed a server to certify update and promoted builds or attempt to reproduce a bug report.

Last, but definitely not least, we'd like to thank the many staff, both past and present, that have volunteered countless hours over the years. I am at a loss for words to express just how much these people have meant to the project and to myself. The core team who have constantly worked hard to update to every new Minecraft version, while adding in new API and improving the server itself. The BukkitDev staff who spend countless hours checking over the fantastic plugins our community creates. Our moderation staff keeping our forums orderly and safe for all people seeking out a great community to be a part of. Additionally, the many unsung people who have helped in various ways despite having no official title, simply because there was work to do. Finally, my administrators, who have tirelessly helped me keep the project functioning as a whole. I would especially like to thank @TnT and @mbaxter for sticking through it with me to the end, always ready to discuss an issue and provide me with advice.

It's been a fantastic 3 and a half years of providing what we believe to be the absolute best modding platform for the wonderful Minecraft community to use. We really enjoyed seeing the amazing feats our many Developers and Server Admins achieved with the product we provided and continue to be amazed every day at the ingenuity our community shows. Thanks for everyone's continued support! It has and will continue to mean the world to us. Together we were able to provide a Minecraft server used by hundreds of thousands of servers out there (with our last Recommended Build having over 2.6 million downloads!), which is certainly something to be proud of and a great note to end on.

This is the end, it's time to say goodbye. It's been an amazing run and we achieved much more than anyone thought was possible, even ultimately culminating in Mojang hiring our original core team. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and the Bukkit project has run its course, leaving me to make one final - incredibly difficult - decision to shut down the project I’ve poured 3 and a half years of my life into which means so much to me. We're no longer able to confidently distribute our modified versions of the Minecraft server and it is no longer smart for us to continue with our update process. Sadly, this means we will NOT be updating Bukkit nor CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.8 and, since Minecraft 1.7.10 introduced the EULA enforcement, we will be placing the project under a code freeze for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, due to obvious legal reasons we will not be helping anyone else complete any updates nor sharing our methods despite any desire to the contrary. Although the project itself will essentially be no more, we'll continue to support our community, the forums, IRC and BukkitDev as long as we are able and as long as our partners support us with the resources and infrastructure to do so.

As for us? Well, who knows? Maybe we'll find another game, program or project to be passionate about and we'll be back with a vengeance? Only time will tell, but I hope that we'll see you around the next passion-project of ours when it happens.

In addition, this post on the same thread summarizes the situation nicely.

Server administrators such as myself who use Bukkit and a myriad of its plugins are now conflicted and lost as to what to do for the upcoming 1.8 update. However, the following Twitter posts by Jens may imply otherwise that Mojang may take the project for itself and continue it, OR speak to Warren (EvilSeph) to address this and change his mind.

jeb tweet.png

jeb tweet2.png

jeb tweet3.png

It's clear Mojang has a handle on the situation. Warren's post on the forums has been updated and says "There's more to come on this" and to "stand by" ...

Warren has also stated that he has no qualms with Mojang continuing the project:
evilseph tweet.png

In my opinion, Warren is making a big fuss over something very petty and over-analyzing what the EULA means. If Mojang owns the project and EMPLOYS the developers for it, it would be safe to assume that the project would yes, be protected and given special rights towards things such as an EULA (hence Jeb's tweet).

Mojang has since taken ownership of the source and repos on Github, and Dinnerbone has stated that he personally will update Bukkit to 1.8, although it will not be the "official" multiplayer API.

What do you think about this situation? It would be catastrophic to thousands, if not millions of servers if Bukkit's development was ceased entirely, although that doesn't look to be the case.

I don't see Bukkit closing. There has been multiple times where people (including the plugin developers) said Bukkit was going to close, and it never has.

Bukkit makes Mojang money, Bukkit adds a lot of additional functionality to Minecraft, and it's also another reason to buy MC (Especially with premium only HungerGames, MiniGame, and other servers), and adds to the overall MC experience. If Bukkit didn't exist, I personally probably would never have bought MC.

The only way I see Bukkit closing, is Mojang shutting it down after they release the Multiplayer API… which at this point I can't see ever happening (or at least not for a while) because they've been promising that API for a long time and it's yet to be released.

Bukkit isn't going to close because it is too vital to various upon various servers that run it and is really ran by an overwhelming majority of servers out there. It would be catastrophic. I am not all too well versed into it and it really is a bit confusing but I don't necessarily believe it will close even if there is a bit of a bitter conflict.

Some background information...
There has been tons of drama associated with the 'new EULA' Mojang release a few months ago. Basically it was a blog post that said what you could and couldn't do in regards to monetizing Minecraft servers. You can read that here. This is an effort on Mojang's side to, among other things, to stop, mainly children, from being tricked into using their parents to buy $100 ranks or other ridiculous things on public Minecraft servers. [Because they got a ton of complaints from parents in customer support thinking they bought from Mojang.] This is all great and good, and well, wand whatnot. However, this 'new EULA' also affects servers who do not do things like this, the large ones, such as: Hypixel, PlayMindcrack, Overcast Network, etc.

A past admin of PlayMindcrack was especially vocal about it, comparing revenue from a month with selling things like, In game currency, ranks, etc. to a month following the 'new EULA' [Only selling cosmetic items for money.] The EULA following month did not cover costs for that month. However, a larger server like Hypixel could still cover costs because of the amount of players. This rose concern in the community for smaller servers whose costs will not and can not be covered with the 'new EULA.' This debate had been going on for a while and Mojang refuses to step down, or even listen despite many valid points.
Bukkit background information...
Dinnerbone [Nathan Adams, Minecraft Dev] started the project, Bukkit, along with Grum [Erik Broes, Minecraft Dev] EvilSeph [Warren, ex-Minecraft Dev] and others. About two years ago Dinnerbone, EvilSeph, and Grum were hired at Mojang to start work on the Plugin API because of their past experience and knowledge. Along with this, Mojang bought the Bukkit project, it was maintained by EvilSeph and others, Dinnerbone and Grum left the project to work full time on Minecraft. Last year EvilSeph left Mojang but continued to work on Bukkit along with others.
So, Mojang owns Bukkit. EvilSeph and others may quit but they cannot discontinue the project. Dinnerbone has always been known for being the most community active developer, he has played with many Youtubers, has played on many servers including Hypixel, and constantly adds things the community thinks about to the game. He has notified the community that he will be updating Bukkit.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

@Bart Gunshot

Mojang needs to sit down and listen to the concerns of players and server owners, and try to work something out.

I ran a server for several years, and we usually got just barely enough donations to cover the server bills, with this EULA I fear we would not have stood a chance. This bugs me to death.

Seems to me, like their punishing a whole lot of servers who did nothing wrong.

Regardless, I don't see Bukkit closing anytime soon, but it's user base may decrease.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bart Gunshot

Mojang needs to sit down and listen to the concerns of players and server owners, and try to work something out.

I ran a server for several years, and we usually got just barely enough donations to cover the server bills, with this EULA I fear we would not have stood a chance. This bugs me to death.

Seems to me, like their punishing a whole lot of servers who did nothing wrong.

Regardless, I don't see Bukkit closing anytime soon, but it's user base may decrease.
It's not even a real legal document. This is why I said 'new EULA.' It is a confusing blog post which you HAVE to comply by. They have said that a actual legal document that can be used in a court will be released soon. I feel that many of the people at Mojang do care for the community, however many of them are not actual players of the game, so their opinions will be vastly different than the majority of the community. In the end I feel that everything will work itself out, it has in the past. After all the blog post is not the final legal document. I think the best thing to do would be to not spread drama, as the community is splitting at the seams from these events and a ton of hatred of Mojang and server owners is going on right now. It's quite sad and people really need to just calm down as it really is a temporary thing.

And if worst comes to worst it is Mojang's game, they have the last say. They are an extremely community orientated game though so I doubt this would happen.

I think the best thing to do would be to not spread drama, as the community is splitting at the seams from these events and a ton of hatred of Mojang and server owners is going on right now. It's quite sad and people really need to just calm down as it really is a temporary thing.

Agreed.

People are frustrated, but if everyone just calms down, I'm sure it'll be resolved. Mojang obviously knows this upsets people, and a lot of the Mojang team understands where the community is coming from, so I'm sure they are working to resolve it.

UPDATE:
There is no new news from Dinnerbone on the release of Bukkit 1.8.

Wolvereness, a Bukkit contributor, has filed a DMCA takedown on the Craftbukkit server jar. It is unknown if this is a legitimate legal issue, or only something to create more drama and confusion. Mojang employees and the company has not said anything as of yet directly relating to the issue. He is claiming that he owns part of the code, however I am no lawyer so I can not speak for everything this entails. The DMCA links are below. The first is the download for Craftbukkit and the second is the DMCA takedown notice.
http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/
http://dl.bukkit.org/dmca/notification.txt

EDIT:
Jeb confirms that the DMCA takedown was not filed by Mojang.
Capture.JPG

UPDATE:
There is no new news from Dinnerbone on the release of Bukkit 1.8.

Wolvereness, a Bukkit contributor, has filed a DMCA takedown on the Craftbukkit server jar. It is unknown if this is a legitimate legal issue, or only something to create more drama and confusion. Mojang employees and the company has not said anything as of yet directly relating to the issue. He is claiming that he owns part of the code, however I am no lawyer so I can not speak for everything this entails. The DMCA links are below. The first is the download for Craftbukkit and the second is the DMCA takedown notice.
http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/
http://dl.bukkit.org/dmca/notification.txt

EDIT:
Jeb confirms that the DMCA takedown was not filed by Mojang.
View attachment 62337

Well that's not good...

Well that's not good...
Definitely. From what I have seen on the Minecraft subreddit and other sources, it seems like it is a legitimate legal issue. Wolvereness contributed to the Bukkit code under the impression that EvilSeph was the owner of Bukkit after Dinnerbone and Grum left, when in fact Mojang bought it and changed the license. Which, apparently was illegal/not a valid license also. Wolvereness is however claiming that because Bukkit used Mojang's closed source sever code (which is why Mojang acquired/bought Bukkit instead of shutting it down) that was used for Bukkit's open source code, without him knowing he is claiming it infringed upon his rights and he is saying his code can no longer be used and distributed.

It's a huge confusing legal mess. Mojang has a few options it seems.
  • Buy Wolvereness's code
  • Rewrite his contributions
  • Close Bukkit
    • Work on plugin API - which has already been in development for 3 years, likely not even remotely finished.
Each of these is a terrible solution, but its a terrible situation. Bukkit is most likely dead.

EDIT: Wolvereness is obviously after something from Mojang. Because the moment he learned Bukkit is owned by Mojang he puts this all together. He clearly doesn't care about the community of Minecraft because he just took down what basically 90% of Minecraft servers use.
This may not be true information just what people seemed to agree with on reddit.

It's a huge confusing legal mess. Mojang has a few options it seems.
  • Buy Wolvereness's code
  • Rewrite his contributions
  • Close Bukkit
    • Work on plugin API - which has already been in development for 3 years, likely not even remotely finished.
Each of these is a terrible solution, but its a terrible situation. Bukkit is most likely dead.

This may not be true information just what people seemed to agree with on reddit.

Wolvereness tried to do the same to Spigot as well, but MD_5 has stated they are fighting it, and he's left the Downloads page up.
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/dmcad.28536/

This may well sadly be the end of Bukkit, which is very unfortunate as I learned a lot from the community, and enjoyed making Bukkit plugins.

I hope that Bukkit makes it out ok, or at the least that Spigot is able to continue as they have been.

Wolvereness tried to do the same to Spigot as well, but MD_5 has stated they are fighting it, and he's left the Downloads page up.
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/dmcad.28536/

This may well sadly be the end of Bukkit, which is very unfortunate as I learned a lot from the community, and enjoyed making Bukkit plugins.

I hope that Bukkit makes it out ok, or at the least that Spigot is able to continue as they have been.
Yeah. I saw that. The thing is, is that spigot REQUIRES Bukkit to work. They take the craftbukkit.jar and modify it to make it faster. Without Bukkit updates, its pretty much done for. They are fighting for Bukkit as well, but from what I have seen the legal side of things the claim is actually legitimate, no matter how dirty and self-centered it is.

Yeah. I saw that. The thing is, is that spigot REQUIRES Bukkit to work. They take the craftbukkit.jar and modify it to make it faster. Without Bukkit updates, its pretty much done for. They are fighting for Bukkit as well, but from what I have seen the legal side of things the claim is actually legitimate, no matter how dirty and self-centered it is.

I'm just going to hope that MD_5 can continue updating without Bukkit, or Bukkit survives all this. It doesn't look good =/

It's a legit claim, it's just really self centered and childish.

It saddens me that such disregard for the community's interests in this petty legal conflict and truly makes me question some parts of it. The closing of Bukkit can't happen or else its the end of pretty much a large portion of Minecraft and would only leave vanilla servers, which most the community of Minecraft is NOT so keen to using and will likely move on to other things. While much of the Minecraft "culture" IMO has turned into 11 year olds raging in diverse PvP servers, its unbelieveable that this would happen to the decent part of the society of Minecraft. Even if its a legitimate legal claim, there shouldn't be so much lost over it.

Bukkit is most likely dead unless Mojang knows something the community does not. The following is what is information from the community, we have yet to see something from Mojang.
The license Bukkit used gave anyone who contributed full ownership and rights to their contributions. If Mojang tried to dispute it they would get nowhere. If they bought the code from Wolvereness everyone who contributed would jump on the bandwagon and do the same thing. Rewriting the code would be a pain as Wolvereness contributed a ton to the project, and even then it could be argued that the person writing the code took ideas and code from Wolvereness. Not only that, but all of the developers for Bukkit have quit. There is no team left to develop anymore, nor any skilled developers that would want to contribute. Mojang owns Bukkit so they would practically be doing free work for the company. And again, if Dinnerbone rewrites that portion of code all by himself somehow in-between his development on the actual game, someone else could just do the same thing as Wolvereness did.

However, the Minecraft community is known for it's unwillingness to give up, and determination. No one wants to see this very LARGE portion of Minecraft die. The modding community has gotten together to create a new server API they call "Sponge." Using Sponge to clean up the mess from a spilled Bukkit... I'll show myself out. This will be a replacement to bukkit in the event that it actually is dead, which is very likely. It is looking very nice so far, their goals and ideas sound even better than Bukkit. The only disappointment is that Bukkit plugins will almost certainly not be compatible.

The Sponge website: http://spongepowered.org/
The official Q&A: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJ1WzHI-VUuoHEJz4SRHUbl-5XnsURbqP5fIi8B4Kyg/preview?sle=true
Github page (for developers): https://github.com/SpongePowered

Bukkit is most likely dead unless Mojang knows something the community does not. The following is what is information from the community, we have yet to see something from Mojang.
The license Bukkit used gave anyone who contributed full ownership and rights to their contributions. If Mojang tried to dispute it they would get nowhere. If they bought the code from Wolvereness everyone who contributed would jump on the bandwagon and do the same thing. Rewriting the code would be a pain as Wolvereness contributed a ton to the project, and even then it could be argued that the person writing the code took ideas and code from Wolvereness. Not only that, but all of the developers for Bukkit have quit. There is no team left to develop anymore, nor any skilled developers that would want to contribute. Mojang owns Bukkit so they would practically be doing free work for the company. And again, if Dinnerbone rewrites that portion of code all by himself somehow in-between his development on the actual game, someone else could just do the same thing as Wolvereness did.

However, the Minecraft community is known for it's unwillingness to give up, and determination. No one wants to see this very LARGE portion of Minecraft die. The modding community has gotten together to create a new server API they call "Sponge." Using Sponge to clean up the mess from a spilled Bukkit... I'll show myself out. This will be a replacement to bukkit in the event that it actually is dead, which is very likely. It is looking very nice so far, their goals and ideas sound even better than Bukkit. The only disappointment is that Bukkit plugins will almost certainly not be compatible.

The Sponge website: http://spongepowered.org/
The official Q&A: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJ1WzHI-VUuoHEJz4SRHUbl-5XnsURbqP5fIi8B4Kyg/preview?sle=true
Github page (for developers): https://github.com/SpongePowered
it truly saddens me that much work will likely have to be redone for many however at the same time it could open up new possibilities if one were to adopt sponge quickly and accustoms oneself to it. Perhaps Minecraft won't go down hill but the threat still looms over us for now.

Using Sponge to clean up the mess from a spilled Bukkit... I'll show myself out. This will be a replacement to bukkit in the event that it actually is dead, which is very likely. It is looking very nice so far, their goals and ideas sound even better than Bukkit. The only disappointment is that Bukkit plugins will almost certainly not be compatible.

I'm excited to see Sponge… However it's sad to see Bukkit fall, and it's done so, surprisingly quickly.

I learned a lot about code from Bukkit and it's community, I enjoyed filling requests and answering questions, I made multiple plugins for Bukkit. Without Bukkit, I likely wouldn't have played MC, nor met some great friends (some of which work on BFO).

I'm also not looking forward to having to start from scratch with plugins, and porting plugins from Bukkit will likely be a pain.

Back