Cannon skill level and broadsides?

squintz

Pirate Lord
Question. Does the level of cannon skills effect the ships broadside damage stats?
Ex: Level 4 fortune ship with firebrand cannon skill of 1 as opposed to the same ship with cannon skill firebrand 5 or maxed.

thx.

100% yes. If you plan to captain, you should have max round shot, max barrage (don't forget this one!), and max level for whatever special broadside ammo your hull types use.

Source: I've done plenty of personal testing with cannonballs and broadsides (see my signature).

Nothing like 1 broadside to take down almost any ship with skull n bones level 6 war galleon and level 6 storm chaser war sloop(when fury and bolt is maxed)

Thank you all for the input. Just wish a coder weighed in on this for positive verification.
But, regardless, looks like I'll be relearning my cannon skills since I committed to a fortune hunter with firebrand specialty.
There is constant talk that firebrand doesn't work on deck and wondered if it would be worth relearning skills in cannon.
Peoples experience can differ as I don't believe any 2 enemy ship is identical, so results may differ if that's true.

There is constant talk that firebrand doesn't work on deck and wondered if it would be worth relearning skills in cannon.
Peoples experience can differ as I don't believe any 2 enemy ship is identical, so results may differ if that's true.

Do you mean "on a deck gun" or do you mean "when hitting the deck of the enemy ship"?
If it's the former, they work just fine. If it's the latter, no cannonballs do damage when hitting the deck.

Also, enemy ships of the same type and level (emphasis there because hunters/warships vary slightly in level and their level reduces your damage) don't behave any different. Maybe they have randomized health, I haven't noticed if they do, but you should deal the same damage to them per cannonball.

Don't think firebrand's ability to set the ship on "fire" is yet implemented....

This is true, but fortunately firebrand's base damage was buffed to account for it. In POTCO firebrand actually had less base damage than round shot. In TLOPO however, firebrand does 25% more damage than round shot.

The funny thing is, because the fire effect didn't stack, back in POTCO the fortune hunter and firestorm hulls actually had weaker broadsides than regular ships. Of course since their base damage is higher in TLOPO this isn't the case anymore (again, see my sig if you want more info on broadside strengths).

I want razor sharp penguins to shoot from my deck cannons that will tear straight through a hull doing damage to both sides.
They then swim back which would make them the 2nd unlimited ammo next to cannon ball.

Back