Suggestion Chat quick switch

PirateJasonS

Site Founder
Hey all, just had something pop into my head that I figured I might toss your way.

Whenever I whisper to a friend, there are times when I'm also having a conversation in another chat (crew, guild, public). In order to switch back and forth, I have to click the X on the whisper, and then choose which chat I want. Then to reply to another whisper, I have to go click that person's profile and click Whisper to talk to them again. It's kind of a tedious process if back-and-forth is needed.

My idea is to implement a shortcut to switch between different chat modes. Instead of having to click on each of the chat tabs, would it be possible to have a shortcut key cycle through each tab? (For the key, would Ctrl + Tab like in other programs work?). Then instead of having whispers take over the chat box, add them as a separate tab just like in the IRC, with an X to dismiss them.
Chat suggestion.png

It's a bit rough, but it's a basic idea of what I have in mind. And if a player accumulates more tabs than what will fit, maybe add a box on the right side of the tabs with an arrow pointing to the right to show that and give them access to it.
(Note that the image above is missing Guild, and I had to add crew on my own.. that's because the base image i found only had "Local" and nothing else).

Let me know what you guys think of this idea.

Now that I think of it, there were long periods of time that whispers didn't even work. And I ended up accidentally saying that out loud. Embarrassing, eh?

I think it's a good idea. Also maybe when you get a whisper it shows a notification somewhere on the screen and when you click on that notification it opens the whisper?

I think it's a good idea. Also maybe when you get a whisper it shows a notification somewhere on the screen and when you click on that notification it opens the whisper?
Like toowntown? That sounds pretty neat, but after a while the little "psst" sound gets a little annoying tbh lol. But nice idea :D

Thanks for the positive support so far, guys :D

Lol I just realized a flaw with my image.. all of the chat tabs are selected right now, there should only be 1 selected. Eh, still gets the point across :p

Or maybe just have it change to that whisper tab by default when you open chat, if that was the last thing you received. Otherwise, just have it default to your last chosen tab and you switch it there yourself. With a keyboard shortcut I don't think it'd be too big of a deal :)

Or maybe just have it change to that whisper tab by default when you open chat, if that was the last thing you received. Otherwise, just have it default to your last chosen tab and you switch it there yourself. With a keyboard shortcut I don't think it'd be too big of a deal :)
Yeah that works.

Back