Extracting Pirates as .obj or 3dmodel

Hello, I was not quite sure where to post this so apologies if it is in the wrong area. I saw people in other games are able to extract their avatars (as individual parts and textures of course) and reassemble them to make their avatar. I have the original game files from potco and was wondering if it would be possible to extract my original pirates, I know I would not be able to implement them into TLOPO but I think it would just be nice to have a 3d model of them, and use them as reference points for future avatars here are some links explaining the process. If you have any knowlege in this area please enlighten me I am somewhat experienced with blender

https://steamcommunity.com/app/637100/discussions/0/1483235412210381686/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHe...se_we_can_rip_sonic_forces_models_i_rendered/

You can't rip your character, as that was stored on Disney's servers. You can however rip the base model and edit it in blender or another 3D editor. I've done it a few times, although I'm quite bad at working with 3D modeling programs.

You'll want to make sure you have the POTCO phase files (.mf extension files) or an old version of the TLOPO phase files as recently they have encrypted them. Next you'll want to download the Panda3D sdk. If you're working with the old POTCO .mf files the latest stable version should be fine. Here. However, if you're working with TLOPO phase files you will need to compile a Panda3D version from github. I made a tutorial a while ago here. Once you got the right Panda3D version and your phase files its time to extract the asset files. I also outlined this process in another tutorial here. Start it at 0:48 if you are working with the old POTCO files.

Now you should have every model, music file, and texture that was used in POTCO. Now for the fun part! Converting the model files you want. I don't have a video for this, been meaning to make one but I'll walk you through the process as best I can. I'll begin by saying, Maya is the probably the best path for conversion if you wish to work with animation and rigging. The panda3D converter for Maya is great. But theres a lot of other options as well. I'll go over my favorite quick and dirty method as well as the more elegant solutions.

• If you just want to mess around with textures, skinning, etc. (No animations) -- This converts the proprietary .bam to a .obj or another file format.
    1. Open a command line in the folder where the model you want to convert is. Type "bam2egg.exe 'FILENAME.bam' 'FILENAME.egg'"
    2. Then in the same command line type "egg2x.exe 'FILENAME.egg' 'FILENAME.x'"
    3. Use this webtool to convert that .x to a .obj or I personally prefer a .dae in this process as it preserves more of the hierarchy data.
    4. Import it into blender.

• If you want animations and are willing to deal with a arguably more frustrating process. (Supports animations somewhat) -- Direct from .egg to blender.
    1. Open a command line in the folder where the model you want to convert is. Type "bam2egg.exe 'FILENAME.bam' 'FILENAME.egg'"
    2. Download this blender script from github. I've used it once or twice, generally it works but the representation for bones are extremely messed up.
    3. Thats really it for that one, once you have the script installed for blender you can import and export .egg files as you wish.

• Use Maya. (Supports everything) -- Requires Maya and may be a bit finicky finding the right converter.
    • You can get a student trial free for 3 years, otherwise its a bit expensive, but theres also a normal free trial as well idk how long it lasts. This works so well because this is the modeling program Disney used and supported with Panda3D's development.
    • Open a command line in the folder where the model you want to convert is. Type "bam2egg.exe 'FILENAME.bam' 'FILENAME.egg'"
    • You can see a list of all the converters by going into your Panda3D "bin" folder and searching for "egg2maya" Pick the one corresponding to your version of Maya, I believe "egg2maya20165.exe" is the latest.
    • I've never sucessfully done this version to be honest, but I would assume you just plug it into the command line as done in the examples above.
Hope you find something that works for you. Its a process, that's for sure. The character models will be in "phase_2\models\char" and be named "mp_2000" and "fp_2000" respectively for male and female pirate models.

You can't rip your character, as that was stored on Disney's servers. You can however rip the base model and edit it in blender or another 3D editor. I've done it a few times, although I'm quite bad at working with 3D modeling programs.

You'll want to make sure you have the POTCO phase files (.mf extension files) or an old version of the TLOPO phase files as recently they have encrypted them. Next you'll want to download the Panda3D sdk. If you're working with the old POTCO .mf files the latest stable version should be fine. Here. However, if you're working with TLOPO phase files you will need to compile a Panda3D version from github. I made a tutorial a while ago here. Once you got the right Panda3D version and your phase files its time to extract the asset files. I also outlined this process in another tutorial here. Start it at 0:48 if you are working with the old POTCO files.

Now you should have every model, music file, and texture that was used in POTCO. Now for the fun part! Converting the model files you want. I don't have a video for this, been meaning to make one but I'll walk you through the process as best I can. I'll begin by saying, Maya is the probably the best path for conversion if you wish to work with animation and rigging. The panda3D converter for Maya is great. But theres a lot of other options as well. I'll go over my favorite quick and dirty method as well as the more elegant solutions.

• If you just want to mess around with textures, skinning, etc. (No animations) -- This converts the proprietary .bam to a .obj or another file format.
    2. Then in the same command line type "egg2x.exe 'FILENAME.egg' 'FILENAME.x'"
    3. Use this webtool to convert that .x to a .obj or I personally prefer a .dae in this process as it preserves more of the hierarchy data.
    4. Import it into blender.

• If you want animations and are willing to deal with a arguably more frustrating process. (Supports animations somewhat) -- Direct from .egg to blender.
    2. Download this blender script from github. I've used it once or twice, generally it works but the representation for bones are extremely messed up.
    3. Thats really it for that one, once you have the script installed for blender you can import and export .egg files as you wish.

• Use Maya. (Supports everything) -- Requires Maya and may be a bit finicky finding the right converter.
    • You can get a student trial free for 3 years, otherwise its a bit expensive, but theres also a normal free trial as well idk how long it lasts. This works so well because this is the modeling program Disney used and supported with Panda3D's development.
    • Open a command line in the folder where the model you want to convert is. Type "bam2egg.exe 'FILENAME.bam' 'FILENAME.egg'"
    • You can see a list of all the converters by going into your Panda3D "bin" folder and searching for "egg2maya" Pick the one corresponding to your version of Maya, I believe "egg2maya20165.exe" is the latest.
    • I've never sucessfully done this version to be honest, but I would assume you just plug it into the command line as done in the examples above.
Hope you find something that works for you. Its a process, that's for sure. The character models will be in "phase_2\models\char" and be named "mp_2000" and "fp_2000" respectively for male and female pirate models.
thank you so much! Very Helpful!! :)

Vouch for working with Collada/dae, haven't tried Maya yet but I think I'm going to now. This game's structure is convoluted and frustrating enough, might as well make it easy on yourself.

DAE dae

Back