Galleons a thing of the Past?

Galleon class 'A thing of the past'?

• Total voters

Silent Warrior

Wanted Pirate
"Since the brig release you should not buy galleons"
I may be the only one driving the galleon class but i do prefer them. For many reasons such as:
- The New brig is way too big
- The galleons are stronger
- Galleons are well just smexier
- Galleons have loads of cargo
Do you agree galleons are a thing of the past these days? Or do you still drive them? POST!
screenshot_2012-01-16_00-42-30.jpg

its not that i didnt like them its that they lacked cannons were slow and they are still pretty big so when i started getting into svs i started not to use my war galleon anymore even though it was my favorite ship but yea galleons look beastly and if i could have more than 3 ships id have a war galleon with fortune hunter (in my opinion copperhead as powerful as it would be on a war galleon would just make it waaayyyyy too slow)

From the Pirates Online Wiki:

War Brig:
  • Hull: 12,000
  • Speed: 11,000
  • Cannons: 12
  • Broadside Guns: 24
  • Max. Cargo: 16
  • Max. Crew: 12
  • Cost: 80,000 gold
  • Level Required: Lvl. 15 Sailing
War Galleon:
  • Armor: 10,800
  • Sails: 10,000
  • Cannons: 10
  • Broadsides: 24
  • Cargo: 18
  • Crew: 10
  • Cost: 40,000 gold
  • Resale Value : 20,000 gold

Personally I would say that the War Brig is better than the War Galleon. It has more armor, more speed, more crew and more cannons. Granted the War Galleon can hold 2 more cargo than the War Brig, but the War Brig's speed and armor makes up for it. Plus with more crew and cannons, you can sink your enemies faster.

But it all comes down to what you need it for. If you are plundering for gold and materials, a Fortune Hunter or Cargo III War Galleon would be perfect. If you are going after ships just to sink them, an Armor III or Copperhead War Frigate would be better. A Streamlined III or Storm Chaser War Sloop would be great for a quick trip around the Caribbean.

Each ship is perfect for a specific situation. Like I said, it all depends on your preference.

"Since the brig release you should not buy galleons"
I may be the only one driving the galleon class but i do prefer them. For many reasons such as:
- The New brig is way too big
- The galleons are stronger
- Galleons are well just smexier
- Galleons have loads of cargo
Do you agree galleons are a thing of the past these days? Or do you still drive them? POST! View attachment 22520
-The galleon is not size different from the brig.
-The galleon is slower
-The galleon is harder to maneuver
-The galleon has the biggest weak spot that any other ship.

LoL that's why i don't own one nor have i owned one since about 2 years ago.

-The galleon is not size different from the brig.
-The galleon is slower
-The galleon is harder to maneuver
-The galleon has the biggest weak spot that any other ship.

LoL that's why i don't own one nor have i owned one since about 2 years ago.
That's what armor is for! And The brig is much bigger then a galleon, and the frigate is not much better. Slower because its a power house. The brig is way to big and just does not have the armor im looking for.

Maybe it's good fighting with npc ships but test it ut against different ship classes with pirates and it's a different story. No other ship is as easy of a target than the galleon. It's build for cargo. That's about it. In battle, any other ship would be victorious against it. But then again. These are all opinions as the captain and crew make the ship.

If I still played PotCO, i'd be doing drive-bys with my War Galleon still. I will NEVER choose a War Brig over a War Galleon, no matter how awesome they both are.

I would not say they are a thing of the past - just less popular now

Pirates back then favored light, fast craft with lots of guns... You didn't see pirates driving huge trade galleons around, now did you? One big moving target, I say. Brigs, Frigates and Sloops are very versatile, and made for combat and speed - what most of us favor.

Reactions: LEO
For an 'impatient' plunderer like me, I like to just sink and go. Poor galleon just takes longer to get things done. I'd rather fill up and port, then go again several times, than a huge cargo space. If my frigates get banged up, then that's why we port and go more, but everything is faster. So it's not because galleon is a thing of the past; it's just a personal preference. Scoundrel of the Seas kind of messes up my 'style' (I'm not a favorite of this update), however if that's the best way to get materials for customization, I guess it makes up for it, for me. I can't say much; I haven't even bought my first brig ... :facepalm:

Back