Guild Hoppers

Jim Hexskull

Wiki Staff
Ok so I am a Guildmaster. My guild Touch of Insanity is growing and growing more and more every day. Well when I guild someone I don't expect them to stay forever. But Some people will get in and get out as soon as they are in. That makes me very mad. Now I also hate when people come into the guild and they pretend to be your friend then they say Oh yeah BTW I'm a guild hopper and leave. That makes me very mad. So I was just wondering. What do you think of Guild hoppers. And if you are one please state below why do you do it? Is it fun to just join a guild then leave for no reason. I want to hear me fellow pirates opinions on this topic.

Most guild hoppers can never find the CORRECT guild. Like me, they join a guild, stay for a bit, find that it isn't fun enough, too loud, crowded, small, etc.. Not all do it to make people angry and destroy their guilds.

Most guild hoppers can never find the CORRECT guild. Like me, they join a guild, stay for a bit, find that it isn't fun enough, too loud, crowded, small, etc.. Not all do it to make people angry and destroy their guilds.
Yeah I know I have even done what you said before. I joined a guild and it just wasn't right for me so I left. but I have met people who said they joined guilds just to leave them

I'm not a guild hopper. I just want to highlight the importance of not sending 'wild' invitation and open code to join. I'm not good at recruiting, and I can understand that for relatively new guild, recruiting is one of the most important part of guild life. But I think it will work better for the guild and the pirates it recruits if you all do not send wild invitation or code to just about anybody. By sending wild invitation I mean open recruiting in popular server such as Tortuga dock in Abassa using a thought bubble. Sending the invitation code openly in a public thread (such as Guild Discussion section in this Forums) is not a very good idea either. The reasons are:

1. You would not know in person what kind of a person the pirate who wants to join your guild is (general idea)
2. The pirate who wants to join may not know what kind of guild you have, not get any proper welcome or briefing about it (rules, code of conducts).

Of course if the guild and the prospect member do not have the same idea about why they should join, they are not going to see common ground. That's one of those important things why he/she would leave again. I'm not saying that's the only one reason, because pirates are supposed to be free to find a guild that fits them, and sometimes they would not know the real guild life until they join (so changing mind is very possible). Except, "being selective", is going to help reduce the possibility of misconception between both parties.

I like the 'interview type' that I've seen in one of my guilds. An officer/veteran actually takes time to pass along the guild rules/code of conduct to the prospect member. And the prospect member could actually decides whether the guild rules are something that he/she would be willing to deal with when he/she joins. Being a friend of members actually helps too. So an officer/veteran would be able to ask if a prospect member is actually a friend of a member in the guild before he/she can be guilded. At least, that prospect member already somewhat knew about the guild from what he/she has heard from his/her friens who is already in the guild. I think it's still about party 'luck' and partly 'hard work" if a guild can find and actually keep a lot of members for a long time. But don't be discouraged; there are a lot of pirates out there that are just loyal from the heart.

There is no guarantee, and it ultimately comes back to each individual opinion to fit into a guild. And yes, there are plenty of guilds out there to choose as well. And don't forget, there are ever changing factors in guild life (such as friends influence, changing of guild routines and dynamics, changing of each person's mood and preferences, etc.) that all are beyond any control of guild officers/managers. And when that happens, there is nothing much guild officers could do to prevent members from hopping away.

I'm not a guild hopper. I just want to highlight the importance of not sending 'wild' invitation and open code to join. I'm not good at recruiting, and I can understand that for relatively new guild, recruiting is one of the most important part of guild life. But I think it will work better for the guild and the pirates it recruits if you all do not send wild invitation or code to just about anybody. By sending wild invitation I mean open recruiting in popular server such as Tortuga dock in Abassa using a thought bubble. Sending the invitation code openly in a public thread (such as Guild Discussion section in this Forums) is not a very good idea either. The reasons are:

1. You would not know in person what kind of a person the pirate who wants to join your guild is (general idea)
2. The pirate who wants to join may not know what kind of guild you have, not get any proper welcome or briefing about it (rules, code of conducts).

Of course if the guild and the prospect member do not have the same idea about why they should join, they are not going to see common ground. That's one of those important things why he/she would leave again. I'm not saying that's the only one reason, because pirates are supposed to be free to find a guild that fits them, and sometimes they would not know the real guild life until they join (so changing mind is very possible). Except, "being selective", is going to help reduce the possibility of misconception between both parties.

I like the 'interview type' that I've seen in one of my guilds. An officer/veteran actually takes time to pass along the guild rules/code of conduct to the prospect member. And the prospect member could actually decides whether the guild rules are something that he/she would be willing to deal with when he/she joins. Being a friend of members actually helps too. So an officer/veteran would be able to ask if a prospect member is actually a friend of a member in the guild before he/she can be guilded. At least, that prospect member already somewhat knew about the guild from what he/she has heard from his/her friens who is already in the guild. I think it's still about party 'luck' and partly 'hard work" if a guild can find and actually keep a lot of members for a long time. But don't be discouraged; there are a lot of pirates out there that are just loyal from the heart.

There is no guarantee, and it ultimately comes back to each individual opinion to fit into a guild. And yes, there are plenty of guilds out there to choose as well. And don't forget, there are ever changing factors in guild life (such as friends influence, changing of guild routines and dynamics, changing of each person's mood and preferences, etc.) that all are beyond any control of guild officers/managers. And when that happens, there is nothing much guild officers could do to prevent members from hopping away.
Wow! That's a lot of typing. Um ok Yeah I do actually agree with your it comes down to a single persons opinion on if they like the guild or not. My guild is more like a family. And I try to give everyone the rundown on what the guild will be like before I invite them. So that they know what to expect from us, but I also expect them to at least give us a chance. Like one guy he joined at night and my guild doesn't have a lot of night players so he left and said that the guild was inactive all the time. When during the day we have 15 to 20 people on and talking. So some people don't give guilds a chance. Some people on the other hand spend time in the guild then they will come to me and say look man no hard feelings it's just not my kinda of guild really or whatever there reason is for leaving. So yeah some cases I don't mind but others are just irritating.

Because I have (as a kid) grown up within a town only half an hour away from DODGE CITY, this topic pertaining to guild hoppers has me imagining for some reason the days of the "old" American west.
1.1278879055.saloon-doors.jpg
For reasons unknown to many, "guild hoppers" quickly enter then exit guilds in much the same way that cowboys would through a saloon's swinging doors.

*Yes. It is NOT fair or polite for pirates to treat a guild in this manner but...I feel as Jade had mentioned...it should remain the GM, guild officers & veterans job to remain very selective in whom they invite to join. Otherwise, don't be surprised to see a few doors swinging :rolleyes:.

Because I have (as a kid) grown up within a town only half an hour away from DODGE CITY, this topic pertaining to guild hoppers has me imagining for some reason the days of the "old" American west.
1.1278879055.saloon-doors.jpg
For reasons unknown to many, "guild hoppers" quickly enter then exit guilds in much the same way that cowboys would through a saloon's swinging doors.

*Yes. It is NOT fair or polite for pirates to treat a guild in this manner but...I feel as Jade had mentioned...it should remain the GM, guild officers & veterans job to remain very selective in whom they invite to join. Otherwise, don't be surprised to see a few doors swinging :rolleyes:.
Yeah Like I said I'm not one of those people who sits on abassa with a thought bubble talking about my guild. Before I invite someone I make sure they understand all of our rules and what we do in the guild. And then if they don't like it after they are in they are welcomed to leave.

Im kinda a guild hopper... >.> if i join a guild that i do not like that much i met be in there for maybe a week or so, but if i find a good guild, i tend to put my alternate pirates in some of the good ones and put my main in the best, but im usually switching guilds once or twice a month between my pirates ^_^

Im kinda a guild hopper... >.> if i join a guild that i do not like that much i met be in there for maybe a week or so, but if i find a good guild, i tend to put my alternate pirates in some of the good ones and put my main in the best, but im usually switching guilds once or twice a month between my pirates ^_^
I understand that Mate like if you don't like the guild or it's not right for you then yeah don't torture yourself by staying there I meant like the people who join stay for 2 seconds then leave. Not even give the guild a chance

Back