Heart of the World: An Immortal Sorrow

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
*sigh* I know I probably won't finish it. Regardless, I just feel like I need to share the story anyway. :p

Prologue

All his life, Artie knew his life meant something. His parents emphasized it all the time: "You are the most important. Don't hurt yourself. Don't let yourself lose your life." He had always found these words extremely strange because it sounded as if they thought someone wanted to kill him. As he grew up, he thought less and less about it; he figured that they were just really paranoid about protecting their baby. But, oh boy, he was wrong.

As he presently hid behind the crate with voices shouting from the entrance, he could feel his heart pounding. Why me? Why me, of all people? Why can't I just... "We know you're in there, Artie!" Artie heard the voice and instinctively held his breath. He held his heart as if the pounding would give away his position. He gazed at his heart intently. "I COULD END IT HERE! YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD DO AND YOU'RE AFRAID OF IT! THAT'S WHY YOU WANT ME!" He panted, out of breath because of the amount of air he let out and the lack of air he let in. The people outside were silent momentarily.

"A puppetmaster, that's what he is. This boy has to accept his fate," said a disgruntled old man outside. "Your time is up, old string-holder." Artie burst into tears. He couldn't believe these people wanted him to die for such an accusation. "But I didn't do it! I didn't do what you claim I did! I'm not pulling any strings, I'm telling you!" They didn't listen. He heard more slamming on the door and shouts of bloodlust and violence. He couldn't take the negativity. He started to jump on top of the crates, looking for a switch that would open the garage of the warehouse.

He noticed a button in an electrical box similar to that of a light-switch. Praying that it wasn't something bad, he pressed it. Then, he cringed in horror. He heard a low-pitched whine throughout the facility. Suddenly, he heard a loud hiss as all of the mechanical doors opened up, allowing the outside to come in. Ah, come on...
A loud riot started to approach Artie as he desperately searched for more buttons and switches. Then, it hit him; how could he have been so stupid? There are HANDLES on the garage door, for crying out loud!

As he forced the garage door open, the footsteps and screams grew even closer. Artie grew more apprehensive the longer it took to open the door. Finally, he had propped it open. He opened the door of the nearby truck and leaped into the driver's seat. I don't care about safety right now...I need to get out of this place. Closing the door but not putting on a seat belt, he found that the key was already in the ignition. Was someone in a hurry? Weird. Nevertheless, he twisted the key and started the engine.

"THERE HE IS! GET HIM! HE'LL GET AWAY!" Artie quickly stepped on the pedal and drove the truck out of the warehouse facility. As he drove through the streets, he saw cars speeding everywhere and pedestrians walking in every possible place. Irritated, Artie drove through them all. "Get out of my way!!" As he drove through them, a blue holographic glow took their bodies as their voices started like a broken record. "Good--good--good---good--g-g-g-g-g-g-g-gooood morning, Artie!" Artie shed a tear as he drove through the holograms and towards an iron tower.

Back