Suggestion Holiday user titles

PirateJasonS

Site Founder
Hello again! I noticed that a lot of the staff are changing their titles to become more spooky for Halloween, I think that's neat haha.
upload_2016-10-31_14-44-31.png

But it got me to thinking: how cool would it be if regular forum members could have their titles changed for Halloween too? Currently my title is Notorious Pirate for example. It would be cool if I could be dressed up for Halloween as an "Eerie Jack-o'-lantern" for the day, or something fun like that. Dockworker could be replaced with "Uncarved Pumpkin", etc.

I'm thinking that it could be done in 2 ways:
1. Users could request their own temporary titles, and the forum staff would have to approve them.
2. The forum staff could pre-define some festive user titles to automatically change out with the existing ones based on rank for the day, to lessen the burden of having to approve the title requests... and since I'm not the most creative person :p

This is just something that I think would be fun for the community to enjoy :) If it's too much work or if you guys think it's not the best suggestion, I totally understand. But hey, forums are for discussion so let's discuss! :D

:witch:

Last edited:
I just realized that in my first post I made it sound like this was only a suggestion for Halloween. I meant it to be for all holidays :)

I think it would be a good idea, just that they've have to be changing A LOT in the website code, which would potentially would take time, especially now in such a crucial point of the game. It'd be more appropriate for much after open beta.

I think it would be a good idea, just that they've have to be changing A LOT in the website code, which would potentially would take time, especially now in such a crucial point of the game. It'd be more appropriate for much after open beta.
Just to clarify, the forum staff and game development team are 2 separate entities, so this actually wouldn't hinder the game's progress in any way :)

Just to clarify, the forum staff and game development team are 2 separate entities, so this actually wouldn't hinder the game's progress in any way :)
Ahh yes, that's actually true. Thanks for pointing it out. Still, I'm sure that A LOT of the staff is focused on the game's development right now, not just coding but bug testing and things like that.

I would not be opposed to this, but it seems like it could create a lot of work having to approve so many names. Not sure if it's worth it. As a reference, the moderators have been able to change their titles for years, and this was the first time anyone has changed theirs for more than a few minutes :p

Ahh yes, that's actually true. Thanks for pointing it out. Still, I'm sure that A LOT of the staff is focused on the game's development right now, not just coding but bug testing and things like that.
Davy is the only one who does coding related to this site. Yeah, a lot of us are involved with tlopo, but none of us besides Davy could really implement this feature. And he is very busy already.

What would probably be needed for this suggestion is a lot of 'custom' coding. I'm sure the ability to change user titles could be applied to all account types, but the ability to have your title be approved would be a lot more work. Along with that, there would need to be more guidelines and rules for what titles are/are not allowed. If there was something like a predefined list of titles, that too would have to be 'custom' coding because to my knowledge nothing like that exists on Xenforo.

It's a cool suggestion, but in my opinion it would take too much time. I would like to see the site's development on other things, such as connecting TLOPO accounts with forums accounts, reworking albums and pirates, and allowing certain users to reply to certain locked threads (ex: the TLOPO server status thread)

I would not be opposed to this, but it seems like it could create a lot of work having to approve so many names. Not sure if it's worth it. As a reference, the moderators have been able to change their titles for years, and this was the first time anyone has changed theirs for more than a few minutes :p

Davy is the only one who does coding related to this site. Yeah, a lot of us are involved with tlopo, but none of us besides Davy could really implement this feature. And he is very busy already.

What would probably be needed for this suggestion is a lot of 'custom' coding. I'm sure the ability to change user titles could be applied to all account types, but the ability to have your title be approved would be a lot more work. Along with that, there would need to be more guidelines and rules for what titles are/are not allowed. If there was something like a predefined list of titles, that too would have to be 'custom' coding because to my knowledge nothing like that exists on Xenforo.

It's a cool suggestion, but in my opinion it would take too much time. I would like to see the site's development on other things, such as connecting TLOPO accounts with forums accounts, reworking albums and pirates, and allowing certain users to reply to certain locked threads (ex: the TLOPO server status thread)
Thanks for the reply. I agree, those all sound much more important. Oh well, maybe some day if Davy gets bored and ambitious he could take a stab at it haha.
Were the upside-down profile pics for April Fools something that Davy added custom or was that also a Xenforo thing?

Thanks for the reply. I agree, those all sound much more important. Oh well, maybe some day if Davy gets bored and ambitious he could take a stab at it haha.
Were the upside-down profile pics for April Fools something that Davy added custom or was that also a Xenforo thing?
I'm not sure, to be honest. But I do really like those lol

how cool would it be if regular forum members could have their titles changed for Halloween too? Currently my title is Notorious Pirate for example. It would be cool if I could be dressed up for Halloween as an "Eerie Jack-o'-lantern" for the day, or something fun like that. Dockworker could be replaced with "Uncarved Pumpkin", etc.

I'm thinking that it could be done in 2 ways:
1. Users could request their own temporary titles, and the forum staff would have to approve them.
2. The forum staff could pre-define some festive user titles to automatically change out with the existing ones based on rank for the day, to lessen the burden of having to approve the title requests... and since I'm not the most creative person :p

This is just something that I think would be fun for the community to enjoy :) If it's too much work or if you guys think it's not the best suggestion, I totally understand. But hey, forums are for discussion so let's discuss! :D
I like the suggestion. If we were to implement it, it would probably be in the latter form. As per the above, implementing the first way would take a lot of work and moderation effort. What we could do is just come up with alternative rank titles for the holidays and swap them manually.

I would like to see the site's development on other things, such as connecting TLOPO accounts with forums accounts, reworking albums and pirates, and allowing certain users to reply to certain locked threads (ex: the TLOPO server status thread)
Heh ;)

It's not a stock XF thing, but I got the idea from someone else and it was rather easy to implement.

Yeah, I thought everyone would be busy. I agree it takes too much time and those things that you pointed out are good ideas.

I know Xenforo has an app that allows users to change their own custom titles, I think it's an add-on by Brivium. However, it doesn't allow that section to really be moderated would could be a large task to add on to the moderators with no solution to give them an easy way to make sure nobody calls themselves something crazy.

Back