I'm a writer, so...

I wanted to write some sub-plots, and/or side quests, and had a few suggestions.

Regular lore...? Side quests...?? PVP!?!

There should be different variations of quests from different people, like-

PVP Quest; Kill someone w/ a voodoo staff (x) times
Side Quests (More than 2 people): Blah blah blah.

Right now this in really rough edit mode, idk what I even want to write (because i'm a PICKY PICKY writer, I don't publish anything w/ out it being mint)

Idk, what's your take on this kind of idea? Variation quests?

I really like the idea of encouraging players to do new things (PvP, fish, meet new people, level up weapons they don't normally use, stuff like that). Adding more quest lines challenges players to do new things and I think that is crucial to keeping the fire going.

They sound like optional quests. What if they all had like, really cool rewards that stacked up over time? I played one game where you got 'Tokens of Valor' where you could exchange for keys to lootboxes. 15 Tokens gave you a regular chest, with like potions, ammo, and maybe a good weapon. 30 would open up a chest with rare crafting materials, maybe we could exchange for a lot of gold, some better weapons, and maybe a rare piece of clothing, and the third and final chest took 50 tokens, and would give a really good item, with a chance for a super rare one.

Maybe something like that.. Make it worth while to do the quests.

They sound like optional quests. What if they all had like, really cool rewards that stacked up over time? I played one game where you got 'Tokens of Valor' where you could exchange for keys to lootboxes. 15 Tokens gave you a regular chest, with like potions, ammo, and maybe a good weapon. 30 would open up a chest with rare crafting materials, maybe we could exchange for a lot of gold, some better weapons, and maybe a rare piece of clothing, and the third and final chest took 50 tokens, and would give a really good item, with a chance for a super rare one.

Maybe something like that.. Make it worth while to do the quests.

I like it a lot. Progressive quests that take 1-2 months to complete keep players playing (especially if the reward is cool). Reminds me of daily quests from WoW, you keep doing the quests to get a type of token and then the tokens could be used for gear, mounts, and collectables.

Maybe not 1 to 2 months. Back when I STARTED playing that game, the PvP quests involved quests such as defending towns or so from people or mobs, or helping someone obliterate them, as well as tackling towers and setting up your own standard to bring in allies to defend it from the opposing team. Or just downright killing people.

With PotCO, I think we could have side quests ranging from easy, to deathly hard, and solo versus grouped quests, the hardest of which give the bigger reward. But as I was saying, maybe had Ship boarding quests, Boss kill quests, crafting, fishing, ship repair, hunting, you know the basics we had in alpha.. but put quests with them to encourage people to do them, with a motivating incentive behind them.

Maybe not 1 to 2 months. Back when I STARTED playing that game, the PvP quests involved quests such as defending towns or so from people or mobs, or helping someone obliterate them, as well as tackling towers and setting up your own standard to bring in allies to defend it from the opposing team. Or just downright killing people.

With PotCO, I think we could have side quests ranging from easy, to deathly hard, and solo versus grouped quests, the hardest of which give the bigger reward. But as I was saying, maybe had Ship boarding quests, Boss kill quests, crafting, fishing, ship repair, hunting, you know the basics we had in alpha.. but put quests with them to encourage people to do them, with a motivating incentive behind them.

My only concern is straying away from the core of the game. This game is meant to be simple but thrilling. Adding too much new content could discourage people from playing.

My only concern is straying away from the core of the game. This game is meant to be simple but thrilling. Adding too much new content could discourage people from playing.
Notey is right. We want to keep TLOPO simple while also having enough content to help keep all of the players occupied. I definitely think we should try to focus on the implementation of all of the options of gameplay we had in the original game before straying too far off track.

I do think new quests will become necessary but not until the semi-distant future comes :)

Exactly Albert, as stated, the core game should be implemented before we go with new and whacky ideas!
Whacky? I beg your pardon... But I do have one. Have a quest where you run around as a chicken to other islands and stuff, like dropping eggs off on islands.. see how far you can get without dying in an hour. Boat rides are indeed optional.. Really fun to do with someone along side you to protect you from dying lol

Exactly Albert, as stated, the core game should be implemented before we go with new and whacky ideas!

I have played games that have way too much content and it becomes overwhelming and I lose interest because I don't know where to start. We want to protect what makes POTCO, POTCO.

I have played games that have way too much content and it becomes overwhelming and I lose interest because I don't know where to start. We want to protect what makes POTCO, POTCO.
Bro, I feel ya. Sometimes.. You just gotta start out simple. Progress from there to a tougher difficulty, go from there down the road... And back again to TLOPO! <3

Back