Intel Skylake Owners

Rich Fireskull

Notorious Pirate
'Ello there, mates! While I myself to not own a Skylake CPU, I am quite curious to see how many of you have Skylake. In addition to this, if you do run with a Skylake processor, I want to ask if you have problems with TLOPO running on your Skylake builds.

I wanted to look into an idea I had about Skylakes and TLOPO and this was the best way I knew how.

Thanks for stopping by! :D

In extension to this, if anyone of you happen to own Skylake or Kaby Lake processors, could you please provide me detailed benchmarks regarding the integrated graphics?

Intel processors come with integrated graphics and I'd love to see how they perform with TLOPO. Thanks!

I'm in need of such information for a project of mine.

Thanks for the response! Very detailed :) Ive looked around and saw someone earlier having issues with their Skylake build running the game but it looked like some memory issue. I have a buddy that can't do much in the game on his laptop (i7-6700HQ and GTX 960m if I remember correctly) cause he is always crashing. I was thinking it might be Skylake causing issues, but I wonder if it's the iGPU being used. He doesn't get weird artifacts like that, but his iGPU should be an HD 520. I'll have him look into that.

Hey, For @Mark Scurvyfox's reasons, I unseated the GPU, restarted, and quit Folding@Home at startup.
My apologies for the delayed reply.

Thank you for going through a detailed benchmark for me. As it seems, the latest iGPU cards seem to struggle a bit with TLOPO. I may not be a developer and/or have programming skills, but I was able to find an error through your log files
Code:
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 5761 of c:\nirai\panda3d\panda\src\glstuff\glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : out of memory
while you were using Intel's graphics that directs me to Panda3D engine. I believe that's the main cause for problems like these. I managed to track down a similar error on Panda3D's official forums, there. It is being reported by users (although case by case, things may vary) that the cause to it, is an outdated OpenGL API.

This looks like a mipmapping issue, and so I strongly suspect that it is due to a bug in Panda that only occurs when using a very old OpenGL version. This bug was incidentally just fixed yesterday.

Please try and see if today's development build fixes the issue:
https://www.panda3d.org/download.php?pl ... =devel&sdk

Out of curiosity, though, I would like to know more about your graphics card. It could be that you do not have up-to-date graphics drivers installed, which could prevent you from accessing many useful graphics technology. Adding a line with "notify-level-glgsg debug" to your etc\Config.prc file will make Panda print out information about the supported OpenGL version and extensions.

To my eyes, your crash logs could be of a lot of help to TLOPO team so I'll send them a copy if you don't mind me doing so. Other than that, and TLOPO-related, I've seen improvements in regards to memory leaks. It might be my end configuration, yes, but it's been like half a month since the crash notification popped-up on-screen.

Last edited:
With all these being said, I've been tweaking many things to my OS environment ever since TLOPO launched it's beta phase. My conclusion thus far is that there are specific configurations that don't play well with Panda3D engine.
Brand: Sony VAIO Notebook Computers
Model: SVF1521G6E
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz
RAM: HyperX 8GB Impact @ 1600MHz CL9 DDR3L Memory Module ~Dual-Channel
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M @ 368.81 WHQL Certified Driver
HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
I have the above configuration as my main machine and another legacy one to play TLOPO. The latter runs the game much more flawlessly than my first. Luckily enough, my notebook provides me an option to disable the discrete graphics adaptor and use the processor's graphics instead. Intel HD 4000 Graphics. And while I've done it, I haven't seen any major improvement. So I've decided to rollback to Windows 8.1, so that I can test out a few older graphics drivers for both Intel's and NVIDIA's graphics.

This is why I ask people to benchmark their computers. Because I'm trying to gather some short of feedback regarding how TLOPO works on various configurations. Thanks for all!

By the way, rdb - the user whom commented regarding the mipmapping issue seems to be a 3D engine developer on Panda3D according to his twitter page. Interesting enough to me :)

Last edited:
Back