Idea Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yulia

Pirate Master
Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to make all islands one model, multiple music background themes triggered based on area, and all caves, and places to explore on the islands are all seamless, no loading screen just one entire thing. Since of course this is 2017 and most people nowadays don't have toasters like back in 2007

Similar in concept to the mod for Skyrim where its Open Cities

It would be nice, all else being equal. Of course I wonder what consequences there would be, I would guess that lag might be the biggest issue. Yer not insulting my toaster are ya? There must be quite a few of us with somewhat under powered, 2007 vintage, computers, mine's dating from 2011 so it's more than halfway back to that date. It sounds like an extremely large project to redo the entire game that way would be another concern that pops to mind.

Last edited:
They have to equal everybody into the equation not just the people with the good pcs they have to equal in the toasters to, So this will probably not be likely unless something amazing happens and they tick a magic switch and it works amazing across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even low end PCs can run fully open Islands like that unless the engine itself can't handle it or if the optimization of said game engine is so poorly done that it will melt them with even entry level strain. Wasn't forgetting about low end PC users unless it would actually be a problem (Never know with Panda3D+Python)

Cause as you programmers out there know, if you know C++ and then try to learn python you'll start to feel like its very loose ended/lazy (it isn't)

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if the developers have the required expertise to do such a thing. Even if they do, the outdated engine may be the bottleneck.

Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to make all islands one model, multiple music background themes triggered based on area, and all caves, and places to explore on the islands are all seamless, no loading screen just one entire thing. Since of course this is 2017 and most people nowadays don't have toasters like back in 2007

Similar in concept to the mod for Skyrim where its Open Cities
This would cause a LOT of lag and have horrid loading times. Even with models being culled and cached, it would need some really innovative programming for this to be done with a game like POTCO.

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure if the developers have the required expertise to do such a thing. Even if they do, the outdated engine may be the bottleneck.
Panda isn't too outdated. It's a powerful game engine, however it does have some areas that it could definitely use improvement in.

The following images are using Panda3D:
687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f7a45307977506c2e706e67

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f68464434716a562e706e67

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f664438385a4d552e706e67

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6f4f774c58414b2e706e67

Ah dangit, dated game engine constraints strike again. Welp was worth a try, thanks Mike for clarifying.

It would be nice, all else being equal. Of course I wonder what consequences there would be, I would guess that lag might be the biggest issue. Yer not insulting my toaster are ya? There must be quite a few of us with somewhat under powered, 2007 vintage, computers, mine's dating from 2011 so it's more than halfway back to that date. It sounds like an extremely large project to redo the entire game that way would be another concern that pops to mind.
When you talk about having larger models, the main issue would be processing power as both the servers and your computer have to process far more entities than if it is broken up as it currently is/was. On a game the scale of PoTCO, I wouldn't be super concerned about it unless we were talking about the invasions

yeah but all meshes in pirates online are very low poly count and very low texture resolution therefore most low end pc's would be able to handle it however unfortunately the engine cant.

Im pretty sure the Engine can't even use quads unless im mistaken, low amounts of vertices and faces, not very complex models...
But yeah, engine. D:

No offence but this seems like a very peculiar idea. I believe that every island is entitled to it's own beauty and that it wouldn't (necessarily) work well with the other. Besides, it would drive away all the travelling done from one island to another. (well at least for the low level pirates or those who was bored enough to get the teleportation quests done)

And of course, it wouldn't work well with the Caribbean look and feel! :eek::eek::eek:

(Shhh, don't tell them, but I'm too excited for Escondida)

well I feel like it doesnt change the mood of anything since its all still the same locations with same names just no loading screen between them, HOWEVER. Not everyones gonna like an idea I post and i see your side too. I guess since this isn't actually possible and my idea got rekt can close it now I guess. I cant wait to fight those Sea Serpent things though, new water enemies besides ships excite me.

When you talk about having larger models, the main issue would be processing power as both the servers and your computer have to process far more entities than if it is broken up as it currently is/was. On a game the scale of PoTCO, I wouldn't be super concerned about it unless we were talking about the invasions
The size of models isn't an issue for the servers because models aren't "rendered" on the servers. There are millions and millions of objects for all of the islands, one more wouldn't be an issue.

I'm now putting a locker to this thread in favour of OP's request. Again, thanks to everyone who tosses suggestions/ideas for the shake of TLOPO's future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back