Question Just Curious -- Why isn't the speed of ships fixed yet?

Bart Stormbreaker

Honorable Pirate
So i've been registered for like 2-3 yrs now and these ships are still ripping across the ocean like they're turbo charged or somethin. I get that its difficult to fix and tbh i can live with them moving like they're straight out fast and furious: pirates edition, but im curious: why is it taking so long to fix? Why is it difficult? What's the problem?

Isn't that suppose to happen though? Imagine how long it would take for those hunter/warships to travel to you if they were so far away from you.

I never thought that was an actual game mechanic. I assume its a bug because... wooden boats dont just pick up acceleration like that.

I assume you are referring to Hunters and SOTL on their way to their target. My recollection of this is that they were not super sonic in potco but with all their sails intact they were faster than any player ship. Once they reached their target they became slower but still faster than any player ship but would not try to overtake you or come along side you if you were sailing in a straight line, this is what made the end of the world strategy possible and popular. In tlopo they do seem unreasonably fast when on their way to a target and then a tad slow once they get there.

I assume you are referring to Hunters and SOTL on their way to their target.
I am. I didnt play POTCO when they were added to that game, so i cant really compare well.

I don't mind when they travel fast to get to the player, but every time, in battle, they also go super fast whenever their nose is pointing at the target. I personally would like this to be removed/fixed cuz its annoying

To be honest, they seem to be the same speed-wise compared to POTCO. I would imagine it looks like Hunters and Warships are traveling faster because of the lag. Because of the lag, the game has to compensate with speed (that's what it looks like anyways). The only things that are slightly different in my opinion are the bugs. One being that Hunters and Warships clip through each other while pursuing the player (typically the Hunter would follow behind the Warship in POTCO). The second being that Hunters and Warships stay stationary when their targets dock and don't attack back when fired upon by another player. In POTCO, I remember that if a player attacked a stationary Hunter or Warship, they would immediately fire back and pursue their attacker.

They'll get fixed eventually! Just give it time. Now that Pyp is deployed, it makes it a lot easier for the devs to develop the game because they now have that massive load off their shoulders. Remember, Pyp took a little over 2 years which is quite a substantial amount of time and effort!

Last edited:
im more confused why ships you face, even the low level ships, can turn faster then you can and are faster then you, when they see your a pirate, they begin to pick up speed

im more confused why ships you face, even the low level ships, can turn faster then you can and are faster then you, when they see your a pirate, they begin to pick up speed
Ship AI in this game is simply a mess. Fighting AI ships is neither fun nor challenging. It just desperately needs an overhaul

I am. I didnt play POTCO when they were added to that game, so i cant really compare well.

I don't mind when they travel fast to get to the player, but every time, in battle, they also go super fast whenever their nose is pointing at the target. I personally would like this to be removed/fixed cuz its annoying
They were fast like that in potco too, actually even faster than in tlopo. In potco it was very difficult to kill them in open water once you had both hunter and SOTL on your tail, only when you were on the popular server and there were tons of people causing huge lag was it practical. That is how players ended up developing the End of the World and around islands strategies that are not needed in tlopo since they are slower and less aggressive in tlopo. They are much easier to defeat in open water than they were in potco.

Tbh I like the way it is in tlopo just as much as I did in potco, they are different and require different strategies once they aggro. I’m not really super concerned to get them back to the way they were in potco but also okay with it if they do it. Of course, you can one shot ships that are not aggro exactly the same way you could in potco, although I suspect that it is easier to one shot high lvl ships in tlopo due to higher broadside damage.

Back