Looking for a decent Desktop

• Thread starter Deleted member 4389
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4389

Ahoy all!
My name be Black Sam in the community here and enjoying all things pirate like ye selves.
In my actual life I am college student and part time music producer, remixer, programmer etc
With that being said I am looking for a decent desktop that can handle programs for audio workbenches and such for under a grand. I am pretty tech savvy so I have a decent idea about what I'm looking for, but I know many people of these forums are big into computer tech as well. So I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on hand.
Thank you all so much!
Fair Winds
-Black Sam

Ahoy all!
My name be Black Sam in the community here and enjoying all things pirate like ye selves.
In my actual life I am college student and part time music producer, remixer, programmer etc
With that being said I am looking for a decent desktop that can handle programs for audio workbenches and such for under a grand. I am pretty tech savvy so I have a decent idea about what I'm looking for, but I know many people of these forums are big into computer tech as well. So I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on hand.
Thank you all so much!
Fair Winds
-Black Sam
Are you looking to build, or buy pre-assembled? :)
Also, would you be gaming on it as well?

Are you looking to build, or buy pre-assembled? :)
Also, would you be gaming on it as well?
I'm willing to build, but in my busy life pre-built is always nice haha. I will be running demanding applications for music production and yes, as well as some gaming.

ah okay! Honestly, I would recommend a build like JFR's.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-bumblebee-first-revision.10093/
(you do not need the exact build like John.. but that would be so cool :O)

The i5-4670 is a great chip, and the motherboard John chose can be had for under $100 from Newegg right now.
The only problem with Intel builds is the cost.. If you have disk drives you can resuse and can get an OS for a low price that helps too.
If you are going to be doing audio work, I would recommend a 1 - 2.5 TB hard drive.
what kind of graphics card do you currently have if any? Also, if you plan to reuse the desktop case (ATX towers are great for builds :) ) that cuts down on price. If you plan something like John has I would say a 650-760 watt PSU is fine.

My I will be upgrading my cpu to a 6 core AMD soon.. Would be running like this

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
RAM: 14GB DDR3
HDD: 1 TB (upgrading/dualboot 2TB win 8 drive)
GPU: XFX R9-270x DD 2GB DDR5
PSU: uh.. I think its a 650 watt? cant remember lol.

In short, if you are reusing the tower, I would say grab a i5-4670, Johns Mobo, and about 16GB ram and the gpu is really up to you. depends on your wallet and preference of shiny in games haha..

@John Foulroberts, Any tips or comments? :)

Thank you for this Rich! It definitely gives me a better idea of what to get! Will the specs you listed above require liquid cooling?

ah okay! Honestly, I would recommend a build like JFR's.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-bumblebee-first-revision.10093/
(you do not need the exact build like John.. but that would be so cool :O)

The i5-4670 is a great chip, and the motherboard John chose can be had for under $100 from Newegg right now.
The only problem with Intel builds is the cost.. If you have disk drives you can resuse and can get an OS for a low price that helps too.
If you are going to be doing audio work, I would recommend a 1 - 2.5 TB hard drive.
what kind of graphics card do you currently have if any? Also, if you plan to reuse the desktop case (ATX towers are great for builds :) ) that cuts down on price. If you plan something like John has I would say a 650-760 watt PSU is fine.

My I will be upgrading my cpu to a 6 core AMD soon.. Would be running like this

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
RAM: 14GB DDR3
HDD: 1 TB (upgrading/dualboot 2TB win 8 drive)
GPU: XFX R9-270x DD 2GB DDR5
PSU: uh.. I think its a 650 watt? cant remember lol.

In short, if you are reusing the tower, I would say grab a i5-4670, Johns Mobo, and about 16GB ram and the gpu is really up to you. depends on your wallet and preference of shiny in games haha..

@John Foulroberts, Any tips or comments? :)
His budget seems to call more for AMD since it is aimed for under a grand, and his music production software will love the extra cores from AMD's FX series.

Try something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mkaczmarek/saved/mygNnQ

Rationale:
  • CPU: If your music development program supports multi-core acceleration, it will gobble up the FX-8350's 8 cores. Plus, you have a stock frequency of 4 GHz, which is more than adequate for your needs.
  • Motherboard: Cheap, workstation grade, and has support for overclocking should you desire to. Gigabyte boards are also one of the most reliable brands.
  • RAM: Again, editing programs will gobble up any resources that you can throw at them - 16GB should be more than adequate, and it's nice having a large RAM surplus if you're a heavy multi-tasker.
  • Storage: I threw in a small SSD for your OS and core programs, and a 2TB mechanical drive for a basic file repository. If you've never used a PC with an SSD before, you will appreciate the substantial speed increase.
  • GPU: the 280 is a great AMD card for gaming - you shouldn't have very many problems playing games on 1080p with it.
  • Case: Simple, spacious, and provides a jump-off point for future upgrades.
  • PSU: Good Corsair 600W power supply with semi-modular cables. Helps clean out some of the cable clutter and provides ample wattage in accordance with this build's approximate power draw.
  • OS: I threw a 64-bit Win8.1 in the mix, but you are free to change it in accordance to your personal preferences.
  • Sound card: I typically don't bother with sound cards, but since you are a musician I thought it would be appropriate. Sound cards give you a bit more audio I/O and generally have better quality than the onboard sound will.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that if you intend to overclock (either now or in the future) you will need an aftermarket cooler.

His budget seems to call more for AMD since it is aimed for under a grand, and his music production software will love the extra cores from AMD's FX series.

Try something like this:

Rationale:
  • CPU: If your music development program supports multi-core acceleration, it will gobble up the FX-8350's 8 cores. Plus, you have a stock frequency of 4 GHz, which is more than adequate for your needs.
  • Motherboard: Cheap, workstation grade, and has support for overclocking should you desire to. Gigabyte boards are also one of the most reliable brands.
  • RAM: Again, editing programs will gobble up any resources that you can throw at them - 16GB should be more than adequate, and it's nice having a large RAM surplus if you're a heavy multi-tasker.
  • Storage: I threw in a small SSD for your OS and core programs, and a 2TB mechanical drive for a basic file repository. If you've never used a PC with an SSD before, you will appreciate the substantial speed increase.
  • GPU: the 280 is a great AMD card for gaming - you shouldn't have very many problems playing games on 1080p with it.
  • PSU: Good Corsair 600W power supply with semi-modular cables. Helps clean out some of the cable clutter and provides ample wattage in accordance with this build's approximate power draw.
  • OS: I threw a 64-bit Win8.1 in the mix, but you are free to change it in accordance to your personal preferences.
  • Sound card: I typically don't bother with sound cards, but since you are a musician I thought it would be appropriate. Sound cards give you a bit more audio I/O and generally have better quality than the onboard sound will.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that if you intend to overclock (either now or in the future) you will need an aftermarket cooler.

Ah! Figured Intel would take the cake here.. haha I guess I have to learn what types of apps use the extra cores.. haha

Try something like this:

Rationale:

Thank you very much for this John!!
I will definitely be looking into this build as it does satisfy a lot of my needs!

Back