Suggestion Loot System rework/overhaul

Alright so this will probably be a long post so I'm going to try and get my views on this out as clearly as concisely as possible. I don't claim to be an expert on how looting currently works and what is currently bugged and what isn't.

Currently the loot system in the game is still buggy from beta which is fine. But even back when the game was open and Disney was operating it the looting system did not seem very good which is bad because that's the reason a lot of people play this game.

Firstly from what i can tell the how the game currently works is this ( this is stipulation from what I've read and how i remember the game from what it was)
  • Each server has its own loot table with items on it to be available to drop that refreshes at intervals that are unknown to me.
  • loot boxes seem to have no discernible correlation it item quality inside of the box ( this could be a bug but it happened in potco as well)
  • besides a few sets items do not seem to have a correlation to where they drop from leaving many people to farm the exact same areas causing crowding in locations
  • bosses have a slightly higher drop rate of higher quality items
  • due to the limited amount of famed weapons per server per interval it makes the weapon drop rate for high quality items seemingly meaningless
these are a few of the observations about the current system that I've made based on my years of playing and looting in this game. Now this system works incredibly well for beta keys and maybe even legendary drops because of the rarity of them. However it does not work at all for normal famed weapons.

Here's an example of what i mean. lets say in this example there is five players looting on a server. one of them has been looting for 3 hours and hasn't received any good drops. and the other four players have all started looting right before the server reset its loot table. Now there are 2 famed items available for drop. meaning that only 2 of the 5 players can get the drop. Even though the first player who has been looting for hours should be the one to get a drop because of how many enemies he has killed it doesn't matter if he cant hit the drop before the 4 new players hit the drop. In this scenario if 2 of the players who just started looting hit the drop the first player is stuck there until the system resets again before he has another shot at looting a weapon.

Like i said this system works for beta keys because as it allows for growth it simultaneously prevents overflow of players potentially crashing the server.

Now for the system i propose (the numbers that i use here will be much bigger than they probably should be just for ease of understanding)
  • the loot table system on the server should not be used for items besides beta keys and maybe small drops
  • Famed and above quality weapons should all have their own static drop rate.
  • Families of items should be lootable from certain locations and enemy groups. I.E cursed blades on tormenta and ravens cove
  • these families should be spread through the Caribbean keeping the lore consistent and making players explore the island we usually would never go to besides leveling and quests e.g Isla Cangrejos, Isla perdida, and other wild islands
  • after a certain number of enemies in a group have been killed the player should be eligible for a hidden handicap towards looting to keep the system rewarding for the people that grind all day(will elaborate on this below)
  • legendary items should be drops from either (new?) raid bosses or existing bosses like Foulberto Smasho
So lets get into an example of this system. Lets say that i was looking for a famed item inthe admirals cutlass class and each item in that class had a static drop rate with the admrials cutlass being the lowest since it is at the top. For ease of presentation lets say it looks like this:

Admirals cutlass: 1%
Vice admirals cutlass 2%
Commodores cutlass 3%

Now these are just base percentages and i believe these should scale down depending on the enemies level ill only give and example for yellow plated enemies and bosses to keep it simple for demonstration purposes.

Against a yellow enemy:

Admirals cutlass .5%
Vice admirals cutlass 1%
Commodores cutlass 1.5%

Against a (red) boss:
1.5%
2.5%
3.5%

Now these values would be likely much different and probably lower in game just to add balance but these are just to help people understand the concept. now the scaling handicap i was talking about earlier in the bullet points,

To keep this system fair to the players who loot for hours without getting drops and to keep players actually playing because they know they will eventually get a payoff if they stay committed unlike how it currently is this system should be in play:

the handicap that i propose is a flat scaling applied to drop rate based off the number of enemies killed and heres my example

we will still use the admiral group to keep things simple. after killing say 300 enemies without a drop the player to build a number they cant see (lets refer to this as "luck" )
this luck value will be applied to all items in the family to keep the rarest items exactly that. Rare. i believe it should look something like this

every 15th enemy after 300 will give .25% to the drop value.

so after 15 enemies:
Admirals cutlass 1.25%
Vice admirals 2.25%
commodores cutlass 3.25%

and this trend would continue every 15 enemies for a max of:

Admirals cutlass 5%
Vice Admirals cutlass 10%
commodores cutlass 15%

Once this number is hit and the famed weapon is dropped for the player the "luck" value will reset to 0 and the player will need to kill another 300 (possibly more for balance?) to be eligible to receive this bonus again

I am unsure whether this "luck" bonus should apply to legendary drops or now. It would probably be best if those were just a low low flat % drop from bosses and high level enemies.

Also i believe that chests should be tied to loot quality instead of loot amount as it seems to currently be.

This system will keep the wonder and satisfaction of finding a famed weapon randomly while questing alongside keeping players who live to loot satisfied and it will serve to keep people interested and playing. This will help balance out the endgame and provide large amount of content to the players who have finished all of the story quests and just with to collect as much loot as their little pirate hearts can stand

Feel free to ask any questions im sure there are things that i have left out here that i should add but it seems like it would be a crime to type to much more here for now.

I don't think loot was based on what server you were on. You could loot a bright green shirt and then loot it again 10 minutes later, it's just the odds of that happening are incredibly rare.

I don't think loot was based on what server you were on. You could loot a bright green shirt and then loot it again 10 minutes later, it's just the odds of that happening are incredibly rare.
that could be because there are several green shirts on each loot table considering its only common rarity im not really sure how common and rare items are actually handled

You really think loot depended on servers?? I don't believe so. @Bort Greasegorb @John Foulroberts you guys clarify at all?
from alot of the older videos and people ive talked to all seem to think that servers had loot tables that loot drops were based off of. people didnt like looting on abassa for that very reason. i very much could be wrong though and if anyone understand how it worked input would be greatly appreciated

oh well, if im wrong im wrong. but regardless the current system we have seems to be flawed and we deserve a much better loot system
I didn't mean to come off as harsh. To be honest, I didn't read your above post until now. I just think so because A. There's no true proof and B. Why would Disney put in a super intricate loot system on a game they neglected? Also, worth mentioning that I've gotten lots of good stuff on Abassa. The World Eater Blade on my avatar for one.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh. To be honest, I didn't read your above post until now. I just think so because A. There's no true proof and B. Why would Disney put in a super intricate loot system on a game they neglected? Also, worth mentioning that I've gotten lots of good stuff on Abassa. The World Eater Blade on my avatar for one.
its fine, like i said i could be wrong getting information on the looting system is really tough because of how weird it is. all in all it seems like a system they just kind of shoehorned in just to keep people paying for the game

its fine, like i said i could be wrong getting information on the looting system is really tough because of how weird it is. all in all it seems like a system they just kind of shoehorned in just to keep people paying for the game
Can't say it didn't work. All there is to the loot system is just randomly generated stuff save a few items that are dropped by certain enemies. Not that deep of a rabbit hole.

Can't say it didn't work. All there is to the loot system is just randomly generated stuff save a few items that are dropped by certain enemies. Not that deep of a rabbit hole.
it definitely did work but not for good reasons. its the most satisfying feeling in the world seeing those blue letters but the current system is so stingy and odd it doesnt work as well as we deserve. i havent done any quests besides the teleportation and weapon quests and ive made it to 32 just by looting and havent seen a single famed even though im sure iv'e killed at least 1000 mobs by now including farming darkhart for the last couple days

i know, thats why its a bad system, disney didnt really care about it they just kind of threw it in to appease us. now that we can make it better and make it what it should have been in the first place we should
Not necessarily a "bad" system, more of a basic one. Most games will just do random generation for loot drops.

alot of systems now adays especially in mmos with have % drop rates especially for bosses instead of it just being random there are a few exceptions however
Not too big a gamer. Remember that POTCO was just a side thing for Disney Interactive and they preferred to update Club Penguin and, for a while, Toontown over it.

i believe there was a system matic style not just random cause different oceans would cycle loot through out time you could tell random kinda but you know when you was in a good ocean lots of skulls people finding fame, brights, and blacks I would loot only those oceans that was dropping good loot I got 5 legends that way and tons of fame just my thoughts. You could tell how it would cycle seems crazy but you could tell for real.

What I know is that about once every 2 weeks I get a famed weapon. Other than that it's mostly cracked blunderbuss and the likes, the lowly cutlasses and snaplock type pistols, along with a wide variety of useless voodoo dolls no one uses in-game.
I suggest that the literally worthless weapons be dropped from loot all together and that the loot drops themselves become more rare, with better goodies inside when they do drop.
Also, there should be a scale, based on pirate level, that determines what weapons they get in loot drops, so as to avoid a level 40 - 50 pirate continually getting wax dolls and worn cutlasses.

These chest contents below should never be in a loot skull chest for a level 46 pirate. I'd rather not spend the time even looking in that.
I usually leave chests like this one behind, as nothing in them matters to me personally.
Just my thoughts.
Savor them!
screenshot_2017-02-07_20-25-13.jpg

Back