Mac CAN'T support VR

Joshua Daggerfire

Wanted Pirate
For those who don't know, VR means Virtual Reality. And VR takes a lot of power to run, seeing as how the GTX 970 is the minimum, and a 980 for the recommended, and as of right now, no Mac has anything near that powerful. But, it seems as if Apple CEO Tim Cook is interested in VR, and this could mean that we might finally see some Macs with some real power in them

http://fossbytes.com/oculus-rift-tells-apple-first-make-good-computer-well-support-mac/

I'll be surprised if they include Nvidia/AMD GPUs in their systems... They'll probably develop something completely proprietary - it's just in their character at this point.
They do use AMD GPUs in some of their iMacs, but they all are M-series GPUs, and the higher-end ones perform on par of a R9 280

I heard they are working on gaming iMacs, I'm not an Apple user, but I don't think it will go far, they have to work on the OS and on the other side, games have to be well optimized. Developers don't target Apple's audience that much.

I heard they are working on gaming iMacs, I'm not an Apple user, but I don't think it will go far, they have to work on the OS and on the other side, games have to be well optimized. Developers don't target Apple's audience that much.
Also, its the fact that Macs use hardware from 2011 and 2013. They have outdated, underpowered hardware.

Also, its the fact that Macs use hardware from 2011 and 2013. They have outdated, underpowered hardware.
I know, and that's why they aren't used for gaming. They used to have bad hardware, so no one was that focused to port a game to the Mac that much. Now, gaming iMacs are coming out, and they just have better hardware, but any optimization of both Apple's side and developer's side? I heard nothing about that.

I know, and that's why they aren't used for gaming. They used to have bad hardware, so no one was that focused to port a game to the Mac that much. Now, gaming iMacs are coming out, and they just have better hardware, but any optimization of both Apple's side and developer's side? I heard nothing about that.
I highly doubt Apple is gonna make gaming capable Macs. Yes, with the new line of AMD stuff coming out, theyll have the something like a R9 490M, which will probably get really decent performance, but they arent going to go back to a tower computer. Their selling point is sleek and slim

I highly doubt Apple is gonna make gaming capable Macs. Yes, with the new line of AMD stuff coming out, theyll have the something like a R9 490M, which will probably get really decent performance, but they arent going to go back to a tower computer. Their selling point is sleek and slim
Macs are for casual gamers :)

No matter what hardware they put inside, it won't make Mac OS X a gaming-capable platform. It's not only about the hardware and I hope they won't take this seriously, because I like it this way : Windows - used for casual things like browsing, watching videos, gaming... Linux - used by people who know what they are doing... Mac OS X - used for casual things and by people who just don't know what they are doing and can't(or don't want to) maintain a computer.

No matter what hardware they put inside, it won't make Mac OS X a gaming-capable platform. It's not only about the hardware and I hope they won't take this seriously, because I like it this way : Windows - used for casual things like browsing, watching videos, gaming... Linux - used by people who know what they are doing... Mac OS X - used for casual things and by people who just don't know what they are doing and can't(or don't want to) maintain a computer.
The hardware is pretty important for gaming. To really play any games, only the 5k mac can support 1080p gaming.

The hardware is pretty important for gaming. To really play any games, only the 5k mac can support 1080p gaming.
You can have the most expensive setup, if you don't have drivers or they aren't working properly, what's the point? Actually, if you don't have any drivers, frames won't even be displayed, you won't have internet connection etc. Software is just as important as hardware. And low-level programming optimization is equally important.

You can have the most expensive setup, if you don't have drivers or they aren't working properly, what's the point? Actually, if you don't have any drivers, frames won't even be displayed.
In all reality, it wouldn't take to much to port games to Mac, but Mac in its current state is prevnting developers from wanting to port. Why port a game that won't work cause of bad hardware?

In all reality, it wouldn't take to much to port games to Mac, but Mac in its current state is prevnting developers from wanting to port. Why port a game that won't work cause of bad hardware?
If it was that simple, many companies would do it. It's not like you are porting super mario, low-level programming is nothing like "hello world" and there's a huge difference if the game devs only work on the game with an already build engine, or they made it from the ground up.. HUGE difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was that simple, many companies would do it. It's not like you are porting super mario, low-level programming is nothing like "hello world" and there's a huge difference if the game devs only work on the game with an already build engine, or they made it from the ground up.. HUGE difference.
Its not that they cant do it. Yes, it wouldn't be easy, but it is possible. It would just be a waste of money, cause barely any Mac users would be able run most modern games, or even buy them.

A good example of this is Star Citizen. They ported it to Linux, but not Mac. They know there are no Macs that could handle that game.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Macs...chines-Says-Star-Citizen-Creator-401557.shtml

Back